Reason for First Csection.. - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2006, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak

i've spent the day reading your stories while nursing, and crying through many of them. we are the secret sisterhood of the unwanted c-section.

Ruby was born via c-section because I couldn't push her out. I labored at home and was fully dilated in about 11 hours (after my water had been broken for 2 days). I then pushed for 13 hours (yes. thirteen as in half a day. not a typo). She never descended past 1+station. Finally we decided to give up and go to the hospital, knowing I'd be cut.
Once there, it was a complete nightmare. SInce she was stuck, they had to have someone go in vaginally and push her up. I had a panic attack on the operating room table (complete with cussing out the surgeons for trying to kill me, and begging the anesthesiologist to get me out of there) and I was knocked out. When I woke up i couldn't stop shaking for several hours. I don't remember the first time i saw or held her.

It was a horrible experience, and I still blame myself. I won't sign up for one again.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2006, 02:54 AM

deleted
Old 12-14-2006, 07:03 PM

Hi Ericswifey, How amazing! I was going to post my story but yours and mine are completely alike: cms, times and all! Only 'difference': I finally got to hold my little one after 4 (!) hours, and by that time she was fast asleep because they had fed her a bottle of formula (it still brings tears of rage to my eyes when I think of it) It took me a long time to heal from this, but I'm pregnant again and (also!) due in june for #2! Wish I could do a HBAC but where I live midwives aren't allowed to assist at VBAC's, so I'll have to go to the hospital and that's the gyn's territory.

Mom to two girls, wife to DH : : : : : :
Old 01-07-2007, 10:23 PM

Double footling breech, no trial of labor (I was 5CM dilated when my water broke.) Went to the hospital and was sliced and diced within the hour :

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
Old 01-08-2007, 06:01 PM

I was 41 1/2 weeks, originally planned on a water birth but my blood pressure was so high the midwives were afraid I had toxemia. They checked my protein but it was normal, then sent me to a local crunchy ob anyway. She also checked for toxemia, again, nothing. She said there was no way I could get out of being induced, so I headed to the hospital after eating with my doula and my dh.

They would not let me eat.
They wanted me strapped to the EFM *at all times*(I walked around anyway).
They gave me an IV and had a *very* hard time finding my veins.

Then I was induced. I don't remember the name of the first drug used, only that it is used for abortion. That was 12 hrs down the drain. I was 100% effaced but I was not dialating. The ob broke my waters and put me on Pit. I dialated at the rate of about half-1 cm an hour. 24 hours later, I was still only 8 cm. Then they started talking about a C-Section, I started freaking out, the baby went into fetal distress and the next thing I knew it was the "only option".

He was backwards and had gotten stuck.

I am not bitter about my birth, only about what happened afterwards. Basically the baby lost a pound and a half, they pushed formula on him, etc but I kept on bf'ing because I knew that once we got home he would be ok. And we were.

Recently dh and I have been discussing having a second child(he wants them close in age, I'm not ready yet). I want an HBAC but a midwife who attends an HBAC in my state will lose her license...

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
Old 01-09-2007, 03:18 AM

Posterior baby, back labor, and epidural because I couldn't handle the pain. Labor progressed steadily and I was fully dilated, my doctor could touch the top of his head with the first joint of her finger ... she was telling me about how much hair he had. But I just couldn't push him out and the pain was unbelievable.

I am still angry with the anesthesiologist who insisted on having my epidural turned down to half strength for the pushing phase. I wasn't having any problems feeling with the epidural at full strength. They asked if I could feel anything and I said "I can do kegels." I could have gotten up and walked if they'd let me. But the pain was gone. I could have pushed for half a day with that level of pain relief ... but when he dropped it to half strength, the pain was so bad I wanted to shoot myself. Three hours of pushing was as much as I could handle. After he'd been stuck there for over an hour, I consented to the C-section. It took them half an hour for them to pull him back out of the birth canal during the section, he was stuck so bad!

The OB said I'm not a candidate for a VBAC. I may get my records and request a second opinion. But honestly, I don't think I'm willing to risk a repeat of my first birth experience. If you could guarantee me a successful vaginal delivery, I'd absolutely do it, but I don't think I can handle the trauma of another unplanned section.

User Tag List