natural prostaglandins and VBAC - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-29-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I read somewhere that one dose of prostaglandin gel (like Cervadil) is roughly equivalent to three "doses" of semen "applied" within 1/2 hour.
Since I've had a c/s I know I have to avoid prosaglandin induction like the plague, but does that mean I should also be avoiding sex? Of course we're not going to do it 3x in 1/2 hour, but even once would be like 1/3 dose of the prostaglandin gel. I've been having lots of bh's and losing my mucous plug so I'm thinking it won't take much to kick labor off... but is it a big deal if the natural prostaglandins from dh kick it off?
With my first I was induced with just Cervadil so I might be one of those people who are particularly sensitive to prostaglandins. I don't really understand why the risk of rupture goes up so much when prostaglandins are used, but if semen and Cervadil are pretty much the same (besides potency) there's reason for concern, right?
#2 of 5 Old 07-29-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmom
So I read somewhere that one dose of prostaglandin gel (like Cervadil) is roughly equivalent to three "doses" of semen "applied" within 1/2 hour.
Since I've had a c/s I know I have to avoid prosaglandin induction like the plague, but does that mean I should also be avoiding sex? Of course we're not going to do it 3x in 1/2 hour, but even once would be like 1/3 dose of the prostaglandin gel. I've been having lots of bh's and losing my mucous plug so I'm thinking it won't take much to kick labor off... but is it a big deal if the natural prostaglandins from dh kick it off?
With my first I was induced with just Cervadil so I might be one of those people who are particularly sensitive to prostaglandins. I don't really understand why the risk of rupture goes up so much when prostaglandins are used, but if semen and Cervadil are pretty much the same (besides potency) there's reason for concern, right?
Cervidil is in place for 12 hours, though. The semen (at least for me, YMMV) pretty much removes itself, if you know what I mean. It's also not all jammed in the posterior fornix.

Prostaglandins are contraindicated because of chemical changes they make in the tissues of the cervix. Frankly, if semen had the same effect, I'm sure they'd warn all the VBACers off sex for six months before birth, "just to be safe".

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#3 of 5 Old 07-31-2006, 10:47 AM

Moved to VBAC.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#4 of 5 Old 08-03-2006, 12:44 AM

From what I understand, since cervidil is synthetic, it can produce abnormal (much stronger etc) contractions.
#5 of 5 Old 08-04-2006, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

I just found this in Ina May's Guide to Childbirth:

"Incidentally, the prostaglandins in semen have never been associated with hyperstimulation of the uterus, more-painful uterine contractions, fetal distress, or ruptured uterus."

So I guess that's that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page