So I have some major decisions to make... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 08-15-2006, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so sorry you are having so much trouble. By the way, I think that is BS -- once you're in the hospital in labor, they can't refuse you service -- they are basically stuck with you, but what they can do is schedule you for a c-section at 38 1/2 weeks to make sure you don't go into labor or pull the dead baby card once you get there. Check out the thread down the line called 50 ways to protest a VBAC denial. They offer some helpful suggestions. Like everyone said, healthcare is a business, and maybe if we show that we are not going to go quietly, they may be willing to budge. And I agree, maybe you could go once to the far away practitioner just so you can meet him, and then see your regular OB until you go into labor.

Good luck!
Minta
#32 of 37 Old 08-15-2006, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, every business I've worked at in the past was all about "pleasing the customer."

Anyways, thanks for the support. I have alot of thinking to do.
#33 of 37 Old 08-25-2006, 05:58 PM

keep us updated!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#34 of 37 Old 08-27-2006, 04:36 AM

*subbing*

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#35 of 37 Old 08-27-2006, 02:06 PM

I know in interviewing HBAC midwives, all of them allow you to make payments on your birth. You could ask, and maybe work out a plan that is doable for your family. Also, if you can't find a free doula, try one in training. They charge much less than highly experienced doulas, and have attended births before, just maybe not a VBAC. Blessed be mama. Stay strong. Don't be bullied. Whatever decision that is made, make it because it is yours to make.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#36 of 37 Old 08-28-2006, 10:26 PM

That's just ridiculous. How do they handle all the other birth emergencies -that are way more common than a UR - if they can't deal with a VBAC?

From the ICAN website:

http://www.ican-online.org/resources..._vbacbanqa.pdf

"Q: What can I do to protect myself from being forced into surgery?
A: There are multiple steps you can take to protect yourself:
Know your rights. Visit www.birthpolicy.org to learn more about the illegal and unethical status VBAC “bans.”
File a grievance with the Chief Compliance Officer at the hospital where you plan to give birth. Hospitals that attempt to ban VBAC are in violation of the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Conditions of Participation (CoP), which require all federally funded hospitals (approximately 80%) to honor the rights of patients to be informed of the risks, benefits, and alternatives of all procedures, to refuse any proposed treatment, including cesarean surgery, and to participate in all treatment decisions. To hold your hospital accountable under these regulations, you must first file a complaint with the hospital’s Chief Compliance Officer, who is required to issue a ruling within 60 days. If the CCO rules against you, then you have the right, first, to appeal to the your state CMS office and then to Office of the Inspector General’s Office at the Department of Health and Human Services. If HHS rules against you, then your appeal goes to the Department of Justice, which is authorized to bring litigation against the hospital on your behalf. You can read the CoP regulations by going to the Code of Federal Regulation’s main page at http://www.gpoaccess.gov/cfr/index.html Enter “42CFR482.13” into the search engine, which will bring up all of the CoP regulations on patient rights and filing grievances. To find contact information for your state CMS office, go to http://www.medlaw.com/healthlaw/EMTA...iolation.shtml
Replace your birth plan with a customized form documenting your refusal to consent. By law, you are not required to sign the hospital’s consent form. You can either customize the hospital’s form or write down your refusal to consent to treatment on any piece of paper and sign it. Put a line through any listed procedure you want to decline and then add the list of routine procedures, including cesarean surgery, you want to refuse, initial each change or addition and make sure you have all the required signatures. Doing so will legally document your refusal to consent and alert staff that you understand and are prepared to protect your rights. In addition, such a document will require staff to obtain direct, verbal consent from you each time they want to do a procedure you've already declined in writing. If possible, pre-register at the hospital no
sooner than thirty days before your due date and take the forms home with you to review, add to, and sign. Be sure to keep personal copies of any forms you sign and ask your partner or doula to record any changes that were made during the course of your labor."

Dr-Mom and SAHD extraordinnaire. DD1 (5), DD2 (3), MMC 04/10.
#37 of 37 Old 08-29-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovinmy2babies+1
I emailed back and asked if they were aware of the ACOG guidelines and the newest studies. Her response was that if I needed surgery, no other OB's would back up an OB that allowed me to labor. So in other words, if they let me labor and I had a UR, no other OB would assist them in helping with surgery...
This is illegal. If you are in need of medical care, especially emergency surgery, the OBs and hospital will be in real hot water if they don't help you. My suggestion is to keep with your ob and have maybe 1 or 2 appointments with the more supportive one. Also, definately check out midwives and doulas, these birth friendly care providers are usually very sympathetic and care more about doing their job ie: helping women, than the financial rewards. Also, some of them will take trade; crafts, mending, cooking, childcare. Explore, explore, explore and communicate. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page