Please tell me I can HBAC a big baby! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So far I have been very relaxed about my upcoming HBAC. I have had really no concernes and for some reason I thought this baby would be smaller than my son was...he was 9lbs 15oz. His size wasn't the reason for my csection either. Long story but he was a planned homebirth that transferred to the hospital at about 36 hours due to my choice - exhaustion and very stalled labor...just needed some help. 13 hours + pitocin + epidural = pushing but baby was coming out with his head cocked sideways...dr. reached in several times and tried to turn him but after I don't know how many times I screamed out that I was done with the reaching in and cranking around and to just cut him out. So, here am now. I have never had a fear of having a large baby. I am only 5'1" and 118lbs when not pregnant. Dh is 5'10" 160lbs. I wasn't expecting a large baby though and this time I seem to be as big...maybe a bit bigger. I KNOW in my logical mind that there is no way to tell, even through ultrasound (which I won't have anyway) the size of my baby. But, I can't help but be concerned about this. Not so much from a VBAC perspective, although a little bit, but mainly just wondering if the baby will fit?! I KNOW once again that my body isn't going to grow a baby to big for me to birth. I have been monitoring my blood sugar well at home this time to make sure that isn't why I have big babies...no far seems normal.

So, I guess I KNOW all that stuff, I'm just having a hard time having the confidence to believe it fully.

Can anyone throw some "you can do it" stuff at me?

Thanks!
Amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 11:10 AM

This is YOUR baby, YOUR body, YOUR birth.

YOU make what YOU want out of it.

Create YOUR reality... and yes, your body will do fine.. meditate and visualize EXACTLY how your birth WILL be, not how you want it to be, HOW IT WILL BE
#3 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 11:10 AM

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
you can have a big HBAC baby,
just tell 'em I said so

Get yourself a good doula, to really increase your chances and read as much as you can.
I believe in you mama!

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#4 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tummy
visualize EXACTLY how your birth WILL be, not how you want it to be, HOW IT WILL BE
I'm kind of afraid to do this. I thought I had it all figured out last time at it sure didn't turn out that way. HOW do you visualize how it WILL be while also not setting yourself up for dissapointment? That doesn't sound very confident does it? Hmmm...I need to work on that. I guess I just don't want to be unrealistic. That's hard to do when the idea of "realistic" is so personal, YKWIM?

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#5 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 01:31 PM

I am in the same boat as you and we are very close in size as well! Furthermore, my baby was also turned sideways and was a C-section after so many hours of pushing and trying to turn. The only way for me to attempt a VBAC in my area is to do it at home with the only midwife (and caregiver) who will perform one. My first baby was large and I had a lot of people tell me I couldn't do it. I know that this made me afraid during labor. Now that I am thinking about birthing this baby, I know that I will have to clear my head. I'm planning on reading positive birth stories and really just reaffirming my ability to birth my own child without the help of major surgery. You can do it, and I can too!
#6 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 01:39 PM

Not quite as big as your first one, but my last baby was a HBA2C and weighed 9 lbs. 7 oz. You can do it!!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#7 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 01:40 PM

My first baby was a c-section for a failed induction. He weighed 9 pounds 11 ounces. My second baby was a VBAC (3 days of prodromal labour of which 9 hours met the definition of "active labour" which eventually stalled out completely. My MWs suggested induction with pitocin only at that point but given my previous induction experience I told them that since I was only 41 weeks I preferred to wait for my body to go back into labour on its own....30 hours later I started labour again and 5 hours later my DD was born.)

Even though I appeared to be a similar size DD was only 8 pounds 3 ounces....go figure

Yes you CAN do it! My DD was smaller than DS but I think position had more to do with failure to progress in his case than his size KWIM? He was posterior...she was not.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#8 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 03:58 PM

I don't know - it doesn't help to say "you create your own reality" - it's like saying positive thinking will bring the outcome you want and if it doesn't then you didn't think positive enouth. This feels very judgemental to me.

What I want to say is look at your fears clearly and squarely. I am a huge fan of Birthing From Within. Look into your heart, draw your idea of labor, draw your pregnant self, find your deepest question and then Live It.

There's so much more. Sending you lots of love and trust that you will find your own way.
#9 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 06:08 PM

phoebe,
reread the post by "Loved" - it makes a lot of sense!

I am exactly where you are. DS was huge, 15" head, malpositioned, interventions, section. Now with DD due in Nov, I have the same thoughts and worries. Yea, she will also be big (I am 5'4" DH is 6'4", and we have proportionally large heads). I think the issue is not the size, but the position, which you know already.

1. So, you could end up with big baby again, but better position, pressing nicely on the cervix, and therefore a much smoother, easier labor. Happy homebirthing in that case.

2a. Or you could end up with a malposition again. In which case, what are you going to do about it? Think about options you could take (spinningbabies.com, rebozo, polar bear...) to change the position. With proactive mesures, the baby could turn, and again you have a hppy homebirth.

2b. Or, even after you have tried, baby still doesn't turn. Then think about what YOU want. This could mean giving yourself more time, this could mean transfer and have a cesarean, this could mean anything in between. What is important is you try, but that you don't kill yourself in the process. Respect your limits and boundaries. Make the best choices you can at the time and you will feel good about your decisions. None of us are perfect, just human.
#10 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to borrow Birthing From Within from my LLL group this tuesday...thanks for the idea as a good read. I've heard exellent things about that book.

Allison, thanks for laying it out like that. That's kind of the way I deal with things best is to lay them out and think of the options and what they mean. I guess the best think I can do right now is to do my best to insure a good position. The bad thing about the position my baby was in is that it was such a subtle malposition that wasn't discovered until pushing was not progressing well. I'll do my best that's all I can do, right?
It is what it is!
And yup, ds had a huge 15" mellon too...I like big headed babies though!

#11 of 25 Old 09-05-2006, 11:38 AM

My first son was 7lbs 5oz and my OB told me (AFTER MY C-SECTION) that my pelvis was just 'too small'

Well... I went on to have a HBAC with a 9lb 2oz baby!!! Almost 2 pounds MORE then the first!

YOU CAN DO IT MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived
#12 of 25 Old 09-05-2006, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Baby #1 7lbs 3 oz c/s for PROM/intervention cascade that led to fetal distress and malposition

Baby #2 8 lbs 8 oz VBAC in hospital, unmedicated

Baby #3 10 lbs 1 oz HBAC three short weeks ago

I had no idea how big dd2 would be! I was just as large this pregnancy as I was with the other two, as far as belly size goes. I did gain more weight this pregnancy, but let's just say my diet could have used some improvement this time. :

My midwife told me after the birth that she was starting to suspect that the baby would be big the last week or two, but didn't say anything because she doesn't like to scare the moms unnecessarily (smart woman). I pushed for 40 short minutes and she was born with her hand beside her head. I completely trusted my body to birth the baby it grew. Yours will do the same! Gestate in peace, mama!
#13 of 25 Old 09-05-2006, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well, the size of your first baby wasn't the issue. just so you know. it was his presentation with the head!

it doesn't matter how tall/small/big you are...you grow a baby that is perfect for YOU to birth. biologically we'd be in a world of trouble if this wasn't true!
#14 of 25 Old 09-05-2006, 04:49 PM

First of all - it's next to impossible to determine a baby's size prior to birth. Remind yourself of that over and over and over and over again.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that your body can't birth this baby - NONE!! Each baby and birth are different.

Don't forget - you're not the same person you were the first time. You've learned so much since then. When you know better, you do better. You can do this, momma!!
#15 of 25 Old 09-05-2006, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much yall for the encouragement. I really needed to get out of that funk...
Now I'm trying to focus on positive thought and keeping my baby in a good position!

#16 of 25 Old 09-06-2006, 12:01 AM

you aren't a freak of nature In other words, your body won't create a baby that is too big for it! You can do it! I am planning a Hbac for my next one also!
#17 of 25 Old 09-06-2006, 12:41 AM

You can do it!!!

My first was a failed induction due to malpositioning and was 10lbs 8oz.
My second was an awesome VBAC (homebirth style in a birth center) and 9lbs 0oz. I'm petite, like you (although I do totally support that your body size has NOTHING to do with being able to birth) 5'3" and 125lbs.

You can most definitely do it.
#18 of 25 Old 09-08-2006, 11:02 AM

I just VBAC'd a 9lb, 3oz baby boy. Med-free, 26 hrs of grueling labor. You can do it.

Kelly
#19 of 25 Old 09-08-2006, 05:34 PM

It really sounds like the problem with your first baby was that he was asynclitic. My daughter was good-sized (8 pounds 6 ounces) and I have a big ol' pelvis according to one annoying OB, but she was tipped as well and just got wedged in there. Here's hoping for a beautifully positioned baby and an easy VBAC for you!
#20 of 25 Old 09-13-2006, 08:24 PM

I VBACed a 10lb 4 oz baby last summer!

If I can do, anyone can!!!!
#21 of 25 Old 09-18-2006, 02:16 AM

getting on hands and knees and other postitions to help the baby align correctly is a huge help, as is being at home, rathre than the hospital where one is generally treated as a train wreck getting ready to happen. I have helped a lady birth a 12 lber at home, VBAC, her first was a c/s and all the others were hospital/birth center births. She wanted to homebirth and she did it! You can too! Pelvises move and shift, babyheads mold and slide, and there you have it! birth works...we need to give it time! Best of luck to you, homebirth is the best option in most cases for VBAC...
#22 of 25 Old 09-18-2006, 03:30 AM

I had my 11lb 5oz baby at home in March 2005. You can do it. It's not the size, but the position. My darling babe had to be different and difficult. She presented transverse - came out facing my thigh instead of up or down. I look forward to hearing your story when your little one arrives.
#23 of 25 Old 09-19-2006, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, all of your support has been so great and I feel so confident that I have changed my tune 100%...
I hope I have a HUGE baby!!!

I loved having a 10lber. He was so big and un-fragile!

Thanks again yall!
Amy

#24 of 25 Old 09-22-2006, 02:15 AM

I HBAC'd a 10lb 4oz'er (she was a military presentation, so my midwife gave me credit for another pound!) and a 9lb 11oz'er.
I love having big babies and I love having home births!

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#25 of 25 Old 09-22-2006, 05:08 PM

I am an HBAC'er too. first was 9lb 7oz, malpresentation, large head. Second 8lbs,12oz, also malpresentation, but she wasn't posterior, her head was larger than her sisters, but I did get her out with a lot of different positioning from the midwives. hard work, but worth it! you can do it!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page