Is it possible to have a hospital vbac? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2006, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, it is possible, I just had my VBAC on Sept. 29 and have a beautiful lil guy to prove it

Granted, it was a little bit of unusual circumstance (will post birth story later) but I managed to deliver and they didn't even realize I was VBAC until the last few minutes LOL. Granted, if there would have been a real complication or emergency-we would have been in serious trouble-there wasn't even an anesthesiologist on site at the time...despite the fact that it is one of the areas largest hospitals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2006, 11:35 PM

The short answer is yes, you CAN have a hospital VBAC. I just had a VBA2C at the hospital~ totally unmedicated, no interventions whatsoever.
The longer answer is:
the battle can be long and hard, and tiring. You can't give up the faith or the fight, and you have to know your rights and stand your ground, even under duress... But. it can be done.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15yrsbetweenboys View Post
Yes, it is possible, I just had my VBAC on Sept. 29 and have a beautiful lil guy to prove it
Hey! You did it! I've been thinking about you. Will look for your birth story.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:41 PM

I really hope it's possible although I know it is. I'm planning a vbac in a hospital and due next month. I have a different dr since we've moved and he is 100% supportive of my vbac and yes it is a male ob.

The reason I didn't consider a hb is it's just not my cup of tea honestly. I have too many "what if's" and didn't want that to be my main focus while I'm in labor at home. Therefore maybe clouding my labor and not allowing me to birth properly.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:53 AM

right now in kansas the birth politics are very hostile towards vbacs.
i could only find one midwife in the area who sounded great, if youre near kansas city i can pm you her info, she does hospital vbacs. she wasnt allowed by her insurance or something to take hbacs with "unproven pelvises" but she was sympathetic and offered herself as a comforting e-shoulder

and in response to the question is it possible...
its possible in the way losing 100lbs is possible...
its hard work, you have to have your game face on, you have to know what youre doing, you have to have a plan...
i got to the hospital (not of my own volition) in transition and even though i pushed out the baby not more than 5 minutes later, they jumped at every chance to mess things up. as soon as i was on the ob floor they started yelling absurdities, horrible things, accusing me of things, and trying to coerce me into signing a section consent form.
my daughter was born while i was yelling at them to stop touching me.

our area is getting pretty cut happy too...

im not telling you this to discourage you, im telling you so you can prepare and grow strong. hospital vbac always reminds me of the phrase "birthing warrior"...
you can vbac in a hospital here, it is possible. but its not ideal...

also regarding "tolac" is concerned. just the term is putting the prospect of "failure" out there. its like saying "attempt" or "trying" either you vbac or you dont... i think when people use the positive terms and phrases in reference to vaginal birth the more real it becomes. like self fulfilling prophecy...

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

Old 10-15-2006, 11:39 AM

I understand that there are many anti-VBAC hospitals out there, but I live in one of the biggest lawsuit-happy, insurance-run states (NJ), and lots of hospitals do VBACs. They do have some restrictions (like external monitoring), but it's pretty easy to find one that will do them. I was able to switch from a "trial of labor VBAC" practice where only 1 OB was pro-VBAC (out of 3 who still did deliveries) to a midwife group who does VBACs all the time - in a hospital as required by law, unfortunatley, but I would have chosen that anyway.

And a lot of what happens in labor is still YOUR CHOICE. No one can cut you open without your consent, and if you do your research and know what the real risks are, and have good support people with you, you can do it.

I wish you the best for your delivery!

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak View Post
I had a hospital VBAC. Went completely natural too. It's possible.

Me too! Of course I wasn't actually in labor at the hospital very long as when I got there I was already 8cm. But it is possible. I would look into hiring a doula.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:37 PM

I have a hospital VBAC as well (w/ no doula and DH sleeping on the couch most of the time, lol) and plan on having another one this time too. My DR was the same one who did my c/s and was great w/ my VBAC. Obviously it all depends on where you live and the climate there, but here they are still very much open to VBACs and people have them all the time. I had to sign a waiver w/ my last VBAC, but have not had to this time. I am not required to do anything different w/ my VBACs than I was when I went to have my oldest. The only exception is that my DR does prefer I'm at a hospital w/ 24hr DRs and anast. there, not a biggie IMO. Good luck!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 10-18-2006, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
The only exception is that my DR does prefer I'm at a hospital w/ 24hr DRs and anast. there, not a biggie IMO. Good luck!
Would probably have to travel an hour and a half to get to one of those. Which I'll probably have to do anyway, unless I just want to sign up for the knife right now.

First birth I intended to labor at home as long as possible, but the first sign of labor that I had was my water breaking. Anybody have any comment on that scenario? Would you stay at home for a while anyway? Or go in with a SWAT team of doulas surrounding you with shields, ready to spray tear gas at any OB who approaches with a scalpel . . .
Old 10-18-2006, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
First birth I intended to labor at home as long as possible, but the first sign of labor that I had was my water breaking. Anybody have any comment on that scenario? Would you stay at home for a while anyway? Or go in with a SWAT team of doulas surrounding you with shields, ready to spray tear gas at any OB who approaches with a scalpel . . .
when you said 'early' i thought you meant pre-term...
my labor always begins with my water breaking. with my vbac i was in labor at least 38 hours before she was born.
you do NOT need to go to the hospital for that. in the hospital they will check you like a million times. the most important rule of having your water break is DONT PUT ANYTHING IN THERE! no not even fingers, no not even to check dialation, no not even if its "sterile" NOTHING
even something sterile can push already present germs into your cervix and uterus setting you up for infection.
second rule is drink alot of water, amniotic fluid replenishes itself.
i was gushing water and i kept drinking and 38 hours later when liesl was born i pushed her out on a wave of fluid.
i was scared into hospital transport for having my water break in early labor, ive since heard from women who had thier waters break and days later birthed perfectly healthy babies. the longest labor ive heard of with broken water is 13 days, and of course with no complications...

its looking like i just have loooooong sloooooow labors thats start with water breaking...im planning on ubacing the rest of my children.
theres not a whole lot a hospital can do for you except create a job for themselves. they are a pretty new thing as far as birthing is concerned and maternal and fetal outcomes have not improved since the 70s i think it was. the section rate is 29% that is sheer lunacy!
if you havent joined ican i reccomend it...

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

Old 10-18-2006, 09:14 AM
Banned

OP:

I will find out soon. I originally started seeing an OB for my prenatal care this pregnancy. Then I shopped around and found out my insurance (tricare) covered the Midwife program at UNMC (Omaha Ne). They are the best! They have an eighty five percent success rate with VBACS which is better than some hospitals natural birth rate. Their "birth plan" that they hand out to let patients know what will happen unless the patients birth plan differs is a dream. Delayed cord clamping, no pitocin, baby checked while mama holds, delay/denial of vit k-eyegoop-hep b is fine you may need to fill out a form, no unrequested vag exams, just everything I would put in my plan they already do as standard practice.

Ne still has it illegal for attended homebirths, or I might have gone that route. But shop around, you may be happily surprised to find something supportive of your needs!

(I'll let you know within two weeks how it went!)
Old 10-18-2006, 06:34 PM

Yes, doing a VBAC at a hospital is do-able!!! Finding a willing dr is the hardest part. Get a knowlegable doula, arm yourself with information, BE PREPARED, BE CONFIDENT.....and let nature take it's course. My last VBAC attempt the dr said he would let me try....when I got to the hospital, they advised me against it. I had to sign some papers saying the VBAC was my idea and I didn't hold them liable.... : So then I labored beautifully within the hospital setting. I had the greatest doula , the most encouraging hubby, and best supportive l&d nurse. I was able to get off the monitors, walk, take a shower.... (BTW, it was a VBA2C) So yes, it IS possible. But you may have to stand your ground.

BTW, I just attended a successful VBAC in a hospital 9 days ago. (I'm a student doula)

Good luck!!!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:25 PM

YES, it is possible! I posted my awesome vbac story a week or so ago. If I could get the birth I wanted with my host of circumstances (preemie, PPROM with delayed labor - my water was broke for over 4 days before birth, in a vbac hostile hospital and Philly is the most litigious city for malpractice.) If I can do it, you can too!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 05:53 PM

You know, the studies on VBAC success are done in hospitals ftmp, and I have never seen one with a less than 50% rate of vaginal birth. So I'd have to say that it is both possible and probable, based on the numbers. Assuming you get to the point of going to the hospital in labor planning to deliver vaginally.
It may be *more* probable, or more comfortable, in another location, no dispute. But of course it is possible to have a vbac in the hospital. Most vbacs do happen in the hospital.
Now I know in some places, finding a willing doctor and hospital are more difficult than others. I'm planning a vba2c in hospital at the moment...possibly open to changing plans, but that's where we're at.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:14 PM

yes, a hospital vbac IS possible - i've had 2. my first one w/ a CNM and my 2nd w/ *gasp* an OB . (my mw left her practice and so i went to the ob she recommended). i don't feel that i had to battle too much w/ my ob, she was pretty laid back. it was her 3 partners that i was concerned about. i even spent a night in the hospital and the dr on-call tried to scare me into a c/s, he offered to break my water. however, i didn't want to be on anyone's clock but my baby's so i went home. my ds was born 10 days over.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:01 PM

Yes! I had a drug-free hospital VBAC, attended by a CNM, several months ago. It was a great experience. We worked with a doula, and that was a huge help.

User Tag List