Did you have a spinal or an epidural with your c-section? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Did you have a spinal or an epidural with your c-section?
Epidural 43 51.19%
Spinal Tap 31 36.90%
Other: General etc..... 10 11.90%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 06-04-2003, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a spinal. I was to afraid that the epidural would not work, and I wasn't in the mood to feel them cutting me open. I had a vbac on the second and in my birth plan I wanted a spinal in case of a section.
#32 of 47 Old 06-05-2003, 12:37 AM

I voted general, because that's what I had for my first c. I had HELLP syndrome and as azdesertm said, that's what you get when you have a low platelet count (one of the problems involved with HELLP syndrome). For the second I had a spinal and was very happy with it. I've never had an epidural so I can't comment on the differences between those two, but between general and spinal, I'm spinal all the way baby! LOL Anything that lets me stay awake for the birth of my child is up my alley. But the anesthesiologist said that he recommended spinal in lieu of epidural for the same reasons azdesertm said. And no, I didn't read the package inserts and point taken on that.
#33 of 47 Old 06-05-2003, 10:05 AM

2 sections here, both spinals. As far as me not feeling anything that was all good. The first time, they did move the table to bring the anesthesia up, like putting me head down, anywho, that brought it too far up and I started to have trouble breathing:

Later in the section, after dd was "out", I started to have extreme pain in my shoulders, so they "nocked me out" with morphine. Thank you Lord

Second c-section, I did get nauseous and headachey, thought I was going to vomit, which seemed to get everyone in a tizzy:
But both times I had the same anesthesiologist and he was good about taking care of things quickly. Also, both times when he did the spinal, I got a "shock" down my leg and kicked the nurse who was holding me. When he came in to interview me before the second c-section, and I mentioned the shoulder pain and the the kicking, he remebered me and said we'd go for it again, b/c I hadn't gotten nauseous from it.

Anywho, this time, it'll be new Dr., new hospital, new anesthesiologist and suddenly after reading this thread I am very nervous and not looking forward to January

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#34 of 47 Old 06-05-2003, 08:49 PM

I voted other b/c I had both, kind of. During labor, I had an epidural and it worked wonderfully. I had been having miserable back labor, and I was finally able to relax and even sleep some. It wore off enough that when it was time to push, I knew it and I was able to push really well. DS, however, was just too big and I ended up having a c-section.

The anesthesiologist first tried upping the epidural, but I could still feel everything. He tried two or three times, but it just wasn't working. It made me unable to move my legs, but I could feel every touch on my belly. I was really freaking out, b/c the nurse kept saying "Okay, you can't feel this, can you?" and just trying to rush things (this was not a rush c-section), and I felt like I wasn't being believed about what I could and couldn't fell.

Finally, they just rolled me over onto my side and went ahead w/the spinal. It worked, and I didn't even feel tugging or anything (and DS was really stuck - they had to get an extra nurse in there to push him back UP). After DS was born, and he and DH went to the nursery, I fell asleep, but I don't think that was from the spinal. I was exhausted - 41 hrs of labor and 3hrs of pushing had worn me out, plus now I knew DS was okay, and I could relax.

If I have to have another c-section, I don't know what I will choose - I will definitely do research. I didn't this time b/c I didn't even entertain the possibility that I would have to have a section.
#35 of 47 Old 06-05-2003, 08:54 PM

I had a spinal because I only had 5 hours of labor and wasn't in much pain before it became necessary for the c-section. I didn't look over the papers much, but I felt the anesthesiologist did a good job of giving me the pros and cons to expect. They combined it the the duramorphine for pain relief and that worked very well. I had a great recovery with no problems except overdoing it on my part when I got home

Robin
#36 of 47 Old 06-17-2003, 10:51 AM

My first one was for breech position and was a spinal...I didn't like it.

My second which after 3 days of back labor I had an epidural and ended up needing a c-section anyway so it was already there....it seemed that I came out of it so much quicker and my baby was more alert....
#37 of 47 Old 06-22-2003, 03:58 AM

Quote:
do you have any opinion on VBAC?
You can see I don't lurk on these threads very often

Remember I have never had a C/S, my opinions is based on what I have observed as a L&D nurse.

My opinion on VBAC would partially depend on why the first C/S was done. If the CS was just for breech or something so that I thought there was a good chance of success with a VBAC I would definitely want to try.

I would want not want to be induced since that increases the risk of rupture. And having seen uterine rupture first hand, I would want to labor where an OB was "in house and available".

I saw one very scary case of rupture where the scar completely opened while the mom was pushing. I don't want to post details to scare anyone because I am in favor of VBAC and this isn't the place for it, but that is my reason for wanting to labor in a hospital with an OB nearby if I was attempting a VBAC. It makes me very nervous to see people planning VBACs at home, though I respect their right to make that decision. The risk of rupture is small but I would still want to minimize the risks.

Our hospital does now have an OB (and anesthesia) in house 24 hours a day. They have recently approved a consent form that will be signed by all patients wanting to do a VBAC. I haven't seen the consent yet but it will mention the risks. The patient may sign the form either in her OB's office in advance or when she gets to the hospital if she hasn't already done so.

Hope you all have successful VBACs!

Part-time L&D RN and Full-time Mama to Xander 4/01 & Carly 6/08
#38 of 47 Old 06-30-2003, 04:09 PM

My doctor was less than forthcoming on post birth discussion, so I'm wondering why I had an epidural in for 24 hours post section. I haven't encountered anyone else IRL or on other boards where I post that had one in that long. I've even asked a number of other people I've met who had the same doctor and ended up with sections. It seems really weird to me.
#39 of 47 Old 07-05-2003, 06:03 PM

I got a spinal, and was in intense pain by the time they started sewing me back up. It was truly the most agonizing experience of my life. I hope to never go through it again!
#40 of 47 Old 07-17-2003, 10:53 AM

I had a cs with my fourth, a semi-emergency although there was still time to lay an epidural. I was completely numb from the waist down, although of course I did feel pressure when they took out the baby. Although they didn't mention it afterwards, I think I was the victim of a 'wet tap', in which the needle goes too deep and hits fluid. I had 6-8 killer migraines within a couple of months after birth, which is not atypical. I have since read that a spinal is better for a cs (smaller needle, fewer side effects). As we are planning another baby, I am very interested in VBAC. In the UK they advise you (with a prior cs) to have an epidural laid in case you do have to have another cs... then they can just top up your drugs with the line already in. My advice, in short, is this: if you have already had a cs and are trying for a VBAC, go for an epidural. If you have never had a cs, have a spinal. It's what I would (and will) do.
#41 of 47 Old 07-28-2003, 11:57 PM

I had a spinal. My water broke and my dd was breech..foot presenting. By the time I got to the hospital, they confirmed that she was breech, and they prepped me, it was near 10 pm. So, they did a spinal because it takes faster and they say it wears off faster. I would not want one again though (hopefully I will never need one again). I was not allowed to sit up until I could pass gas. Well, I couldn't do that unti I could sit up. And, I couldn't eat until I could sit up. So, dd was born at 10:35 pm and I didn't get anything to eat, or sit up until 11 am the next day! I was starving and didn't even get to see my baby very well. They were really worried about me getting a spinal headache. Also, I had terrible itching as a side-effect. really bad itching!! So, if I needed something like that again, I would go for the epidural.

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
#42 of 47 Old 07-29-2003, 11:01 AM

Epidural with the first baby, and the second baby via repeat C set for 9/18, also an epidural.
#43 of 47 Old 08-05-2003, 12:02 PM

I've had epidurals with each of my 4 sections. No one ever suggested anything else to me until my last birth 2 years ago. Then the hospital told me I'd have to have a spinal--that was the only thing they did now. I was, let's just say, a bit upset. When I talked to my OB about it, he said that it was a lot easier on the anesthesiologist, who didn't have to get there as early to administer the spinal. He told me not to worry, because he could order it as my surgeon. He said he didn't care if the anesthesiologist wasn't happy with him. LoL!!!!

Seriously, I've had an experience with the kind of headache that you can get with a spinal, and I just wasn't up for that.
#44 of 47 Old 08-06-2003, 09:32 AM

I had both!!
#45 of 47 Old 08-17-2003, 11:35 PM

I had a spinal. I had a planned (although unwanted) c-section because my daughter was breech. It seems like a lot of posters didn't like the spinal but I did. The doc was great....told me all risks and side effects and "took care" of me during the surgery. He was wonderful.
#46 of 47 Old 08-27-2003, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. I called my midwife that Thursday morning and she said, “Kathy why don’t you come in and we will check you out and if your cervix is favorable we can try a trial of labor with pitocin and if that does not work then you can have the surgery tomorrow.

So we called Grandpa Peterson who would be with Charlie until that evening when Corrine would come and spend the night with him. We spent some time with Charlie, packed up and went off to the hospital. Our doula Carrie met us there. My cervix was ripe enough so we were given the go ahead but my blood pressure was up a bit more so I was put on a magnesium drip shortly after our arrival. This makes you very hot and really hurt going in through the IV. It also limits movement during labor and actually is used to slow down labor for moms not full term. So before too long I was put on something used to speed up labor, pitocin and something to slow down labor, magnesium. About ½ way into labor, my blood pressure was not coming down enough so they increased the magnesium. Other than that, it was really a calm beautiful night and Jerry and Carrie were wonderful. A few hours into the labor, I started to have some bloody show which is a sign of your cervix thinning so we were feeling excited. A few hours later I felt discouraged and I had been on 12 hours of pitocin. I knew before I was checked that I had not advanced much. The midwife said that she was willing to do 3 more hours of pitocin but did not think we could go much more than that. After she left the room, I told Carrie to tell the midwife that I wanted them to turn the Pitocin off. And we started to be prepare for surgery. We called some family members and things moved quite fast.

It all seemed to go much more smoothly than the surgery with Charlie, including the spinal. When Charlie was born, we had in our birth plan that Jerry would announce the gender so at that exciting moment, theOBasked Jerry to stand up. Jerry stood and said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to announce the birth of my baby boy, Charles Andrew Peterson and then he broke down in tears. So on Friday we once again made it clear that we wanted Jerry to announce gender. TheOBgave him the cue and Jerry said, "It's a girl, right?" And theOBsaid, "It appears to be." And the anesthesiologist said, "And that it is."

Angelyn Rosemarie Peterson was born Friday August 22nd at9:28 a.m.weighing 9 pounds 13 ounces and 20 inches long. (I was born at9:28 a.m.onMay 20, 1962. Pretty sweet that we were born at the same time.) The trial of labor was valuable as Angelyn's apgar scores were 9 and 9 (same as Charlie's) at birth. Even though Charlie was c-section, my water broke with him and it is said that a trial of labor even for awhile can help babies lungs and apgar scores once born. I feel I made all the right choices during the last few weeks. I not think I should have waited any longer for baby to arrive or do not think we waited too long. Angelyn is beautiful and is in no way overcooked.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kaj...c=ph%26.view=l
#47 of 47 Old 09-04-2003, 12:49 PM

I also had a spinal with my c-section. I think it depends on what is standard in a particular hospital/for your doctor. For me, as it was a "planned' type of section the spinal was what was recommended, as according to my doctor it provides better coverage (less chance of spots that don't go numb). I had a great experience with the spinal and no pain during the section at all. I've known people who had only epidurals who ended up having to be given full general anesthesia at the last minute because the epidural didn't give enough protection.

Laurie wahm (virtual paralegal) of 3 wonderful boys (11, 9, 5). 1st by c-section for breech, 2 by VBAC (one miscarriage between child #1 and #2).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page