Foley Catheter induction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-22-2006, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies~

Thought I would see if any of you have any experience with a Foley Catheter induction. I had an OB appt today - 40 weeks and 4 days - and nothing has changed. Other than I'm measuring at 43 cm's and last week was 44 cm's.

Since I"m trying for a VBA2C, my OB is concerned about the size of my uterus and the amount of stretching it's doing. I understand his concerns and am a little concerned myself.

I've been having contractions for a few days. Strong ones, but they go away after a shower and bed time. Baby has dropped and I have a ton of pressure. When on earth is my body going to kick things into high gear?

Would the FC Induction be a good route? My next appt is Monday the 27th. I'm trying to get as much info. on it as possible before then.

TIA!

~Karri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 11-22-2006, 05:59 PM

Well, I am pretty much against the use of any induction methods with a VBAC and you seem to be doing fine on your own.

But I think this would be one of the safer methods you can try.

DO NOT use Pitocin or Cytotec as they cannot be stopped once things are rolling (good or bad).

Good Luck!!!
#3 of 10 Old 11-22-2006, 07:07 PM

I agree...it sounds like you're doing really well! And at 40 weeks you're not "really" overdue (though I totally understand your concern!).

If, for some reason, you do choose induction...the foley is your best bet as a VBAC mama. Drug based induction methods are really not okay for VBACs, expecially after more than 1 c/s, so if you do go with induction stick with the manual methods like the foley cath balloon.

I haven't experienced it myself but one of the mamas in my birth group had a foley balloon induction and it worked really well for her.

But hang in there! You're doing great!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 10 Old 11-22-2006, 10:27 PM

I was induced at 37w and 1 d for blood incompatibility issues and i felt very fiercely that it not be chemical. They did a foley induction (which often includes pit) but i opted to do manual nipple stimulation instead. That got things regular and then i used a breast pump and that kicked me into active labor. No chemicals here!

Just a note: the foley bulb only balloons up to 3 cm, so if you are already at or past 3 cm dialated, this won't be an option

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#5 of 10 Old 11-22-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
DO NOT use Pitocin or Cytotec as they cannot be stopped once things are rolling (good or bad).
:
I'd say don't let those UA violations go anywhere near you with Cytotec, especially in a VBAC. !!! I hope the pp meant Cervidil.

Cytotec = TROUBLE.

Seriously. Don't let anyone so much as THINK about Cytotec.
Not approved for labor induction.
Could be fatal.
Be careful.
#6 of 10 Old 11-23-2006, 02:33 PM

I was induced at 39 weeks 4 days (I had a high-risk pregnancy), and they used a Foley. I started labor within about 30 minutes, but it was going pretty slow, so I agreed to have my water broken the next morning. It was still another 19 hours after that, but it was worth it to me to not have pitocin, cervidil, or surgery.

Nealy
Mama to Thales, 12/9/02, and Lydia, 2/26/06
#7 of 10 Old 11-23-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

Pit can absolutely be stopped if needed. We do some very successful pit inductions on VBACs.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#8 of 10 Old 11-23-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
:
I'd say don't let those UA violations go anywhere near you with Cytotec, especially in a VBAC. !!! I hope the pp meant Cervidil.

Cytotec = TROUBLE.

Seriously. Don't let anyone so much as THINK about Cytotec.
Not approved for labor induction.
Could be fatal.
Be careful.
I am pretty pos. she meant Cytotec. Both of us being surrogates have seen WAY too many women lose their uterus over the use of Cytotec. That is why she said do NOT use it. We both deal with women who now need surrogates because of that horrible drug. Also with pitocin, yes it can be stoped, but that doesn't always mean the contractions will stop with the intensity. I know with my second son, we had to use some pit (water broke but no labor for more then 24 hours and fever was coming in) and they gave me just a little, stopped it, and the contractions were still a million times worse then my first delivery.
#9 of 10 Old 11-23-2006, 10:10 PM

Remember that your uterus measurements can be affected by a number of different variables, so don't let those silly numbers put you into a panic. Also remember that no matter what interventions are introduced in any labor and delivery situation, they build off of one another exponentially. That means that what starts with a simple catheterization can snowball up into a c/s (not trying to be scary or exaggerate) Right now, your body is doing important work getting you and your baby ready for labor and delivery, just because contractions aren't regular or intense, doesn't mean they aren't making progress. Do your best to relax and enjoy this time of completely tolerable labor, taking comfort in the fact that every day of irregular contractions that goes by is adding up to minutes or hours taken off of your active labor timeframe. I'd suggest avoiding your ob for a few days and see if things don't get going all by themselves.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.
#10 of 10 Old 11-24-2006, 12:05 AM

Don't forget that Foley catheter induction is going to start the c-section clock ticking (that's my understanding anyway) if it's not successful.

A recent study found that the risk of rupture is *not* significantly greater after 2 surgical births compared to one. Is there any evidence to suggest that rupture is more likely with a bigger baby? I'm not sure your doctor's concerns are founded.

Shawnee

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page