Mothering Forum banner

Does anyone know someone that had a rupture?

3K views 41 replies 35 participants last post by  daniandquin 
#1 ·
Just wondering cuz ya hear all the time how risky it is to have a VBAC but i've never actually known anyone to have one. When i first told my dr i wanted to try a VBAC she was horrified
she tried so hard to talk me out of it and at the time i didn't know homebirth was an option, thought it was only something grandma's did long ago cuz they didn't have a hospital to go to
she told me of the "risks" and said she wouldn't recommend it but get this, after we talked awhile she told me SHE actually had a VBAC 8 yrs prior
: I said so why wouldn't you recommend it, she told me the risks have gone up since she had hers, yea right, whatever! So after i had my VBAC and the dr was still stitching me up i asked dh if he wanted to try for another
: , the dr imediately said "ya know the risk for rupture goes up with every preg". I don't know what her problem was but i just shrugged it off and continued the plan for VBAC #2, i'm not pg yet but hopefully i will be soon and if i do i will be trying for a HVBAC, DH is Totally against it but i have plenty of time to talk to him
So back to the original question: Has any of you known of someone that has had a rupture? Isn't the percentage less than 1%? What is the percentage for VBAC #2?

See less See more
#27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
Mine was a non-induced, unmedicated hospital VBAC attempt (until my emergency C-section). I ruptured during pushing.

The woman I know IRL ruptured at 30 weeks.

About half of the ruptures I know about on-line were non-induced and several were HBACs.
Oh wow, Beth, what a story. I clicked on the link to your daughter Leah's pictures and am simply overwhelmed with emotion, with how it literally gives a face to the very real risks of VBACs. Thank you for sharing- I can't even imagine the range of emotions you must have felt since her passing- from guilt to rage to despair. As for the guilt part, I'm sure you *know* that you did the very best you could, that the risks of a repeat c/s exceeded the risks of a VBAC, but the heart doesn't always get the logic.

Congratulations on your newest daughter, I hope it's been a healing experience.

#28 ·
It IS scary to read about all of these ruptures, but the pp who mentioned this being a VBAC forum had a good point about this being a concentrated population, so I am trying to keep that in mind. One of my midwives said she has attended 40 or 50 VBACS, all successful except for one rupture which they caught early. The baby and Mamma were fine after C/S.
I'm considering consenting to EFM now though (not just after reading this thread
), since it's the only signal of possible UR. I'm hoping one of the telemetric units is available though.

#29 ·
I know several moms online who have had ur----some from this forum.

I know one mom who had rupture irl. She lost her baby and her uterus. She had a classical incision, plus a previous abortion, which is another uterine surgery that puts a uterus at increased risk.

I think another question worth considering, "How many moms do you know who have had problems from their c/s, or babies have had complications from c/s? I don't hang out on c/s boards, bc I'm pro vbac and natural childbirth and it would probably upset me too much to see moms volunteering for a surgery w/ serious dangers----especially to future pregnancies. But, I'd guess that if I did hang out on those boards, I'd hear some sad c/s stories.

I believe ur rates will keep going up as the rate of c/s goes up. It is a complication of uterine surgery that ob's really need to consider. So many ob's go into c/s w/ a "no big deal" attitude. But it really is a big deal. I know there are some necessary c/s, but it is not the vast majority of them.

#30 ·
I am also one who has never met someone with a UR in real life. I also have a midwife friend who does a lot of the VBAC's around here, since the docs dont want to (she is a CNM) and she has only had 1, but both mother and baby were fine. She also does all of the vaginal multiple births and breech births and again, no problems.

If I remember correctly, Japan is number one for baby outcomes (fewest deaths) and although they do a lot of cesareans, the norm there is also to VBAC. Since almost all women who have had a cesarean go on to VBAC, the rupture rate cant be too high or their infant mortality rates wouldnt be as good as they are. I think its still the norm in most of the UK too, and again, most of the countries there have better IMR's than us.

The only other thing I can think of is looking at the Farm's stats. Their rates are awsome too.

#31 ·
Quote:
The only other thing I can think of is looking at the Farm's stats. Their rates are awsome too.
Not to dispute any stats...but places like the Farm do have very firm guidelines about who can and who can't have a VBAC (and they only take women who meet their guidelines) so their numbers might not reflect the whole picture. For example, the Farm requires a double suture of a low tranverse incision...two points that reduce the chance of rupture.

One mama here was talking about a local hospital that had an almost 100% VBAC success rate...she was really excited about using that facility until she realized their success rate was due to the fact that they had very strict guidelines and only took a handful of women each year.

But yes...much of the world has far better maternal/infant health rates (the US is waaaaaaay down at the bottom of the list), and many of these countries assume at least a VBAC attempt. It's not a problem there, it shouldn't be a problem here. But then, the malpractice litigation in the US is off the charts compared to those countries, which probably has more to do with it than the medical community would like to admit...

#33 ·
I only know 1 other person IRL who had a VBAC. I've read several rupture stories on-line, and I'd say 90% included Pitocin at some point prior to the rupture.
I know of 1 rupture at the hospital that I work in. It was a first time labor with a prior abortion that her doctor didn't know about. The baby died. Her doctor used to be the only one in town who'd VBAC. But after seeing a UR (even though she wasn't VBAC), he changed his mind and won't do them anymore. Thank God, a women's medical group stepped up to the plate to do VBAC's here.

#34 ·
I did. But not during a vbac. Just from having a cesarean scar and having braxton hicks. You can rupture either way...having planned c sections didn't stop my daughter frompassing away. So if you'd like a vbac, go for it! Because you can rupture with or without one.

#36 ·
Thanks for all the responses!
Its amazing what the dr will say to scare you into doing things their way. My dr definately tried everything to get me to change my mind, especially when i was 7months pg and my house burnt down she said "ya might want to consider a c/s since all this stress may be too much"
: I should've found a new dr but i didn't think that was an option. Then when i went back for my 6 week checkup after having dd she said "your done right?" I said "i doubt it." Then she continued to tell me the older you get the more difficulties you'll have (i'm 34) She is no longer my dr!
And i do plan on having more if at all possible.

#37 ·
My SIL ruptured after her first c/s. She was induced due to pre-eclampsia 6 weeks early for her second, which of course, did not work, and while the doctor was performing her 2nd c/s he said that she had ruptured and that she must never ever labour again.

I don't know if it is BS but, she was induced, so that didn't help.

She and baby girl, now 6 yrs, are absolutely fine.

#38 ·
I don't know anyone else IRL who has ruptured besides myself, but then I don't know any VBACers IRL either. I of course know MANY online (there is a yahoogroup with several hundred members besides the ones on ICAN online). I also know someone with the same cicumstances as a PP mentioned (where the mom knew something was wrong and begged and was ignored) My first was a c/sec for failure to decend/progress. I planned a VBAC for DD#2 but changed my mind at the last minute, when I was opened up I had two openenings in my former scar (had been a one layer closure). I planned a HBA2C with DD#3 and after laboring for 24 hours I ruptured while being moved onto the operating table (had been a two layer closure). It was VERY scary NO VBAC in the world was worth what we went through. The guilt was torture. It has lessened some but it was not worth it. My daughter is doing well now with PT 2x a week, and OT and special Ed, but I think her personality and ability to bond were greatly affected by what she went through. I go into more details in the All Children by C-section tribe and the UR tribe over in FYT.

#39 ·
Slightly OT but I have a Q about this...

Quote:
If I remember correctly, Japan is number one for baby outcomes (fewest deaths) and although they do a lot of cesareans
I think in Asia most c-sections are done differently using a small incision thats sort of off-centered on the abdomon rather than straight across (i.e. not like a normal c-section) because its believed that cutting across the middle messes up the Qi, etc. Right? The incision is actually quite different than you'd see in a vertical or transverse c-section in the US and is more like an appendix incision on the side... Another reason why its done that way in Asia is because they know its important to keep the mother and baby healthiest this way as it requires less healing time- the transverse & vertical incisions in the US are usually for the doctor's convenience and liablity issues even though the side incision is better since it cuts fewer muscles and major nervous system passages. I might be WAAAAAY of on this so don't quote me, I have a degree in East Asian Studies and went to school in Taiwan, but don't know anyone personally who had a c-section from Asia so I might have been entirely misled!

#40 ·
It depends on the country....Japan actually has a very low c/s rate (around 7%) and they usually show up in the "top ten" countries that have the lowest c/s rates worlwide.

On the other hand, China has a very high rate (around 26%) and the c/s rate in Taiwan hovers around 32% (for singleton births). China has only recently adopted the low transverse incision and the "classical" incision is still commonly used.

VBAC varies regionally as well...Singapore does have a hig c/s rate, but their VBAC rate is around 70% (which beats the US black and blue). But it can be hard to find accurate data for some countries since this information (c/s rate and vbac numbers) may not be made public or may not even be collected.

But this is getting a bit off topic...apologies all!

#41 ·
my cousin ruptured during her vbac, though i don't know the circumstances. momma and babe were fine

an acquaintance of mine ruptured during labor with her first baby.

#42 ·
My first baby was a c/s then 11 years later I had an amazing VBAC homebirth...no problems at all. my third baby was another c/s (moved to a place where there were no midwives and had a doctor I didn't trust or like , who was completely unsupportive of VBAC births,...hence the next c/s). I'm now pregnant with baby #4 and have our original midwives again (yipee!!!!!)- and we are planning another homebirth.

As for the Ruptures- the only ruptures I've ever heard about were while induced with pic. or cytotech (which I can't believe they still use!!)- and two of the four ruptures were prima para births with no previous uterine scar!!

Here's a link to an article that I think every woman should read before giving birth:

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...ogyinbirth.asp

Dani

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.