Does anyone know someone who suffered injury as a result of a scheduled c/s? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2006, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know way way too many women (including myself) who have had fertility issues after their c/s. It took us nearly a year to get pregnant this time, and I was starting to despair. Who knows whether these ladies and myself would have had problems after a vaginal birth, but I have a feeling the c/s absolutely contributed to many of them if not all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2006, 11:23 AM

I know someone who's second baby, born at term by planned cesarean had PPH (persistent pulmonary hypertension) This is a very rare condition where there is persitence of the fetal circulation and it can be fatal. It is more common in cesarean birthed babies - no one knows why if I remember correctly.

I had a client this year planning her 4th cesarean. Her first was for FTP, second 2 elective repeats, this would have been a 3rd elective repeat, but at 36 weeks she had an abruption from a low-lying placenta that was attached to her scar. Fortunately, it was a smaller abruption, she came right to the hospital, and it was quickly recognized and she was taken straight to surgery. Her baby did well, other than a little early baby type stuff, but her bleeding could not be controlled and she had to have a hysterectomy, 8 units of blood, and 2 days in the ICU. Not quite an injury from an elective surgery, but definitely these complications were related to her previous cesareans.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:35 AM

Well, unfortunately I know someone who suffered a pulmonary embolism after a cesarean and did not make it. It was horribly tragic. I am sure they can happen after vaginal deliveries too, but..... well..... you never know.

I also know a woman who experienced infertility after her 1st section.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:38 AM

Physically I healed very well from my cesarean. I was up and about the next day and I had no issues with bleeding or infection. Emotionally, it was hard work.
I have worked with women who've had bladder "nicks". uterine artery "nicks", babies who've needed suturing during to them being "nicked". In my work I saw more iatrogenic injuries related to cesarean than I thought I would.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:51 PM

Yes. Spinal could not be placed, mom was in labor with a large, long baby (drugs to stop the labor did not do so). Full general anesthesia was used instead.

Partner was not informed of what was going on, just left waiting in the hall until they came out with the baby an eternity later.

Mother was not informed as she consented to general anethesia that partner would not be allowed in the room during surgery or at all.

Mother was not informed that partner had not been in the room.

Also had a hand injury that occured during transfer from L&D triage/monitoring to operating theatre.

This was the mother's second section, some adhesions were repaired during the operation.

Long-term effects on lifestyle and fertility still unknown, mother was vaguely fertile to begin with.

No breastfeeding problems with mother or children that were directly related to the surgery (except some unwarranted separation and formula dispensing due to jaundice which was partially related to children's size and design of the hospital room (almost zero natural lighting).
Old 12-12-2006, 09:39 PM

I am so thankful I had no physical injuries. 1st c/s was emergency at 26 weeks and second was at 36 and had no reasoning other than previous c/s at 26 weeks which caused fear because it was so early.

I have low-lying placenta this time and am hoping for a vbac unless absolutely necessary.

With my 1st, I had severe pain and numbness for 8 months (they used retractors and pulled me open wide). DD was in NICU for over 2 months so I didn't have an experience to reference to know if my life was any harder because of the c/s.
After the 2nd I had a terribly hard time nursing because I couldn't get into the proper position and I couldn't pick my DD up when she needed holding-that was sad for me.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:35 PM

My own (unplanned) c/s went textbook perfect (well, as perfect as unwanted major surgery) could be though there were certainly emotional scars that are still not totally healed, and I was on pain meds for about 6 weeks.

A friend of mine had an unplanned c/s with her first (she healed quickly and didn't have any unhappiness with the way her labor/delivery went) and decided to schedule her second c/s. Although the operation went well, the incision refused to heal, eventually requiring a second surgery to remove internal tissue that had grown out through the open incision. She was on antibiotics for a pretty long time and has sworn off any further children since she "doesn't want another c/s"...

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 12-13-2006, 02:58 AM

My Aunt had a planned second c/s b/c she didn't want to 'have to labour again'. The doctor sliced some iimportant nerve and she couldn't walk or ben dover for weeks. Now she is permanently on expensive neuron-blockers so that she can't feel any pain (or anything between her belly button and her knees.

I know of a woman 9from an article I read at my midwife's office) of a woman who had 6 children vaginally and med-free until she emmigrated from Africa. Her seventh baby was breech and hospital policy persuaded her c/s which resulted in her death. Death. Seven children, no mommy. And, strangely, no media attention.

Wonder why? Colour, class, hospital policy??

Kate: fumbling through the best years with W, L, F & V...newest arrival coming Jan '11
Old 12-13-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misseks View Post

I know of a woman 9from an article I read at my midwife's office) of a woman who had 6 children vaginally and med-free until she emmigrated from Africa. Her seventh baby was breech and hospital policy persuaded her c/s which resulted in her death. Death. Seven children, no mommy. And, strangely, no media attention.

Wonder why? Colour, class, hospital policy??
that is so, so tragic.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:09 AM

I know one gal who had her bladder punctured during a c/s and another that had an infection from armpit to toe for 10 months following a c/s. I know a third woman who died of some heart thing 6 weeks after her c/s -- we will never know for sure if the c/s did it, but it can be argued...

User Tag List