Mothering Forum banner

Anyone VBAC after HELLP syndrome?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  APCDmama 
#1 ·
I would really like to hear your story. I am having a hard time deciding whether or not to get pregnant with #2. My first birth experience was absolutely horrible, and I honestly believe that my c-section was more a result of medical intervention than a medical condition (although I do realize that HELLP syndrome can be very serious if left to progress). I know that HELLP syndrome is quite rare, but I'm hoping someone on here has a similar experience to share.

#2 ·
I did. My DD was a HELLP baby born by emerg. c-section just before 35 weeks. My condition got so bad so fast that there is no way I would have been able to handle labor, she was also breech too so there was no discussion.
My son was born VBAC
after a very healthy pregnancy. I was doing everything I could to prevent the HELLP from coming back and thankfully there was no problems whatsoever this time

good luck to you

tara

#3 ·
Thank you so much for replying, taradt.
It is incredibly encouraging to know that someone else out there experienced HELLP (such a terrible, frightening experience and I'm sorry you had to go through it) and was able to have a normal, healthy VBAC the second time around. Of course, I realize there are no guarantees! I made it to 40 weeks with DD, at which time mild HELLP syndrome was diagnosed (moderately high blood pressure and weight gain were the initial indicators that something was amiss). I guess I still haven't come to terms with the c-section yet. I felt terrific going into the hospital and had a hard time believing anything was actually wrong with me. I didn't realize how serious HELLP was until I read about it months after the birth. Does the medical establishment always treat HELLP aggressively?

What did you do to prevent HELLP from returning a second time? I was (supposedly) incredibly healthy before and during pregancy -- maintained a great diet, excellent level of fitness, positive attitude towards birth, etc. I think there is a genetic component in my case. My sister developed Pre-E with both her pregnancies (the first ending in emergency c-section, the second a scheduled c-section). I've read that HELLP is less likely to occur in subsequent pregnancies, especially if one's case is mild. Still scary, though!

#4 ·
The short story is I loosely followed the brewer diet as well as high levels of B6, B12 and folic acid to keep my homocysteine level low (which is what we suspect the genetic component is for me) re-e baby I had 3 losses and we started researching and felt that maybe everything was related somehow. We have no way of knowing for sure but I *needed* to feel I was doing something.

As for being treated aggresively, mine went undetected for quite sometime and it is truley a miracle that my daughter and I were fine. I too felt fine except for the liver/kidney pain and that was how we realized how sick I really was.

How long ago did you have your DD? and I notice you are from BC too
whereabouts?

also check out the pre-eclampsia thread in the pregnancy section, there is alot of info there. Quite a few mama's on mothering have had HELLP

tara

#5 ·
tara,

It's getting close to 3 years since I had DD. I do feel 'lucky' that my midwives were able to identify HELLP in its early stages. I know a lot people are asymptomatic until it's too late. Still, it's rather unnerving to think you're completely fine, only to be told you have a serious health problem. That's what bothers me the most about planning a VBAC. I am so afraid to undergo another c-section.

I was 100% confident in my body's ability to birth before this experience. Now, there is always a lingering doubt. Also, CPD was stated as the "reason" for emergency c-section in my hospital records, NOT HELLP syndrome. The attending OB said my hips are too small to give birth vaginally. Hmmm...I wonder how all my aunts (with the same small bone frame as my own) gave birth to all those healthy babies over the years. My midwife completely agrees that the CPD/failure to progress was probably a result of medical intervention. But who knows?

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Pre-E thread. Lots of good info from others who have BTDT.

Oh, and I live in White Rock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.