internal exam of uterine scar - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 08-03-2007, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I find it very interesting that many OBs say that they cannot find the previous uterine scar when doing a RCS (they prefer to cut through the original scar). This makes me think that they are not going to be able to find anything with their hands that they can't even see with their eyes. It also reminds us just how well the body heals itself. The outside scar heals much differently than the internal scar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 38 Old 08-03-2007, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
congrats on the vbac babz! Did you OB say why she checked?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#33 of 38 Old 08-03-2007, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My OB did this, and it did not hurt. Make sure he "scrubs" first, though, to reduce the risk of infection. It probably is a good idea, especially if you think you might have another child.
#34 of 38 Old 08-03-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
It probably is a good idea, especially if you think you might have another child
I'm wondering why you would want this done? None of the studies I could find showed ANY benefit to the practice and most showed it could (and does) cause problems. Did your OB give a specific reason for an internal check? Were you bleeding too much or was there retained placenta?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#35 of 38 Old 08-03-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
And on a totally non-medical, non-academic, level...the thought of having some OB do an internal "spot check" of my uterus is just so unbelievably icky that...well...ugh.
Oh, totally agreed! It's like a manual D&C or something. Just.....ew.
#36 of 38 Old 08-05-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
congrats on the vbac babz! Did you OB say why she checked?
Thanks! I'm still totally high from the experience. No, she didn't tell me why, only that my scar felt good.

Interestingly, I had a big discussion w/her when I was about 28 weeks pregnant about my birth plan but did not address this. She was very respectful of my birth plan, so I imagine if I had asked her NOT to check, she would have respected that. She is very flexible.
#37 of 38 Old 08-05-2007, 06:03 PM

: good to know... thanks
#38 of 38 Old 08-05-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
I find it very interesting that many OBs say that they cannot find the previous uterine scar when doing a RCS (they prefer to cut through the original scar). This makes me think that they are not going to be able to find anything with their hands that they can't even see with their eyes. It also reminds us just how well the body heals itself. The outside scar heals much differently than the internal scar.
With my last section the OB mentioned he couldn't find the incision. There was, according to him, a LOT of scar tissue...but scar tissue is scar tissue...if he can't see the CUT, I'm not really losing much sleep over rupture risks.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page