Join Date: Jul 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was induced for my VBAC and it worked out quite well. However, I also had an extremely supportive OB who never once mentioned c-section. I went to 41 weeks and 4 days before I agreed to induce. They broke my water, which started my labor, and then augmented my contractions with a very low dose of Pitocin. I went on to have a wonderful birth.
In my opinion, given the choice, I would choose induction over a repeat c-section anyday. With an induction, you have a chance to have a vaginal birth. With a c-section, there is no doubt - you are having surgery. But I would definitely wait as long as possible before inducing. My OB insisted on having a biophysical profile done at 41 weeks (because it was the Xmas holidays and she would not be around if I went into labor, so she was having it done mostly to reassure the OB covering for her), which I passed with flying colors.
One of the big predictors about how successful an induction will be is your Bishop score. This is based on factors such as how favorable your cervix is etc. If your Bishop score is too low, an induction is much more likely to result in a c-section. Do some research to help you make a decision. In the end, it is your decision. They cannot force you to have a c-section.