Anyone have an elective c-section?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 02-12-2007, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wasn't suggesting that your problems are related to your c-section...just throwing out there that having a section does not equal "avoiding damage". (Really - if it did, there wouldn't even be an issue about VBAC, would there?)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#32 of 41 Old 02-12-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie75 View Post
My blood pressure would go through the roof if I went over there. I hate seeing so many women being deceived by their (s)care providers. And that, I dare to say, is the majority of the reasons WHY women have elective cesareans.
Hence the reason why I have never gone there past the first time that I found out about the site, but it didn't sound like the op had been there yet. I think it's certainly a good place to hear all about maternal elected c/s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubymoon View Post
Okay, so I went to www.electivecesarean.com and I did get scared. Thanks for pointing me there, though, it was helpful and I'm still planning an hbac.
Seriously, I wouldn't put too much credibility/credence to the information you find there. This site here and the ICAN site are much better sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post
As for recovery...I know a lot of women will disagree with me on this, but personally the recovery from my surgeries was a lot easier. One, I didn't have the stitches in my left labium from the repaired tear, and--much more importantly--my pelvis didn't really separate for my surgical births. I had no idea how much time it would take for my bones to settle back together, or for my ligaments to unstretch, or whatever the heck it is that goes on after a vaginal birth. All I know was that it felt like my hips were just going to fall out of their sockets as I walked. It was surreal.
I would rather have your experience post vaginal birth than spending the first month or so of my son's life feeling like my belly was going to split open and all of my internal organs were going to come cascading out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's_Mommy View Post
with this one i am concidering vbac but i must admit im very very scared i'll mess things up down there.....i already have a bladder problem that causes me lots of urethra pain....i dont know if i could handle crotch pain on top of that!
I would agree with StormBride - choosing an ERCS to avoid messing things up in your pelvic region (please, let's use proper terms here instead of using a phrase like "down there") is by no means a guarantee that you won't end up with other problems. No nerve damage here, but I have some problems with urinary incontinence, a possible blocked fallopian tube, and scar tissue around my right ovary. According to my RE the scar tissue is "usually" formed in the bladder area for most women.

Quote:
my OB is on board with letting my try VBAC i am just very very nervous i will do more damage
There are lots of problems with this statement here. First off, no one is "letting" you "try" anything. If they phrase it that way it's a clear sign that you need to start looking for anothe cp. Secondly, a cesarean is major surgery and by its very nature it will do damage. Your body will heal from it, but it will never be the same.

If you haven't already it would be a good idea to surround yourself with others who are supportive of VBAC and believe in a woman's body's ability to birth a baby. I would suggest heading on over to ICAN (www.ican-online.org) and signing up for their email support list and/or checking to see if they have a local chapter in your area.
#33 of 41 Old 02-12-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
I would rather have your experience post vaginal birth than spending the first month or so of my son's life feeling like my belly was going to split open and all of my internal organs were going to come cascading out.
I never had that sensation. : Seriously, my c/s was easier to heal from than my foot surgery.
#34 of 41 Old 02-12-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I wasn't suggesting that your problems are related to your c-section...just throwing out there that having a section does not equal "avoiding damage". (Really - if it did, there wouldn't even be an issue about VBAC, would there?)
oh no i wasn't saying you were....i just wanted everyone to be clear that mine are not! I'm just scared i'm gonna have the hugest peri tear in the world and be left with 50 stitches and tons of scar tissue....i have enough problems with the IC and urethra pain (maybe scar tissue?? from my first c-section...i'll have to look into that more) i have enough problems going to the bathroom as it is i dont really want to create more problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post

There are lots of problems with this statement here. First off, no one is "letting" you "try" anything. If they phrase it that way it's a clear sign that you need to start looking for anothe cp. Secondly, a cesarean is major surgery and by its very nature it will do damage. Your body will heal from it, but it will never be the same.
i never had problems recovering from my c-section it was honestly one of the easiest surgeries i've ever had...the day of was tough....but i went home 2 days later and was fine....and once they took those annoying staples out you would have never known i'd had abdominal surgery! serously a walk in the park for me....but im sure this is not the norm for most!

my urologist reccomended i have a c-section when he found out i was pregnant because i have some major pelvic floor problems that we were in the process of working on when i became pregnant....i wanted to be honest with my new OB and she said that she would do whatever i wanted....that it was my birth and she would do the best she could to have it go the way I WANTED IT!!! she didnt try to talk me into or out of anything....and once i told them Vbac was what i wanted there hasn't been a mention of a c-section sence!
#35 of 41 Old 02-13-2007, 02:18 PM

[QUOTE=rubymoon;7261232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post
I keep reading about women who want to have a cs to avoid the pain of labor-as if recovering from a cs isn't painful!!
I know, this is so strange to me. I've actually met intelligent, normal women, who have expressed this to me, after hearing of my C-section - asking if I'm going to go for a repeat (because it's so much "easier"), or expressing that they'd like to "skip the pain of labor" and just get a C.

Firstly, I may be the wrong person to ask about this since I had 31 hours of labor (24 very painful back labor, without meds) before I had my C-section.

And frankly, I found my pre-surgical unmedicated labor pain to be much more painful than my post-surgical pain (of course good medical pain management and a positive attitude had a lot to do with this). I felt I healed very quickly (in comparison to my fears of what post-major surgery would be, and what I had read about the horrors of C-sections). I was able to walk within 24 hours, was able to nurse well within the week, was able to hold my baby at home. Certainly, I understand these stats likely sound rediculous to a women who had a vaginal birth who was able to hold her baby immediately after birth, nursing immediately after birth, and walking or peeing on her own wasn't even an issue! But for me, these things were big accomplishments!

All of that being said, I'd NEVER recommend a C-section that wasn't necessary (and YES, I consider mine necessary at the time, though I'm sure things could have been different - and that people would argue it wasn't - I hold no grudges against my midwife or doctor, and was grateful to have my baby healthy, even though it wasn't in the way I had planned!). I'd also NEVER recommend a spinal for pain management. And I STILL will try to go for a VBAC - natural, unmedicated birth, with all my might this time around again.

Because I believe my body can do it, because I believe vaginal birth is best for babies, AND mothers, and because a C-section, elective or otherwise, is MAJOR surgery - with major risks to life & health of mom & baby. Even with my "good" experience with my C, I would never choose it or recommend someone choose it.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#36 of 41 Old 02-13-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:

i never had problems recovering from my c-section it was honestly one of the easiest surgeries i've ever had...the day of was tough....but i went home 2 days later and was fine....and once they took those annoying staples out you would have never known i'd had abdominal surgery! serously a walk in the park for me....but im sure this is not the norm for most!
I hear you! I had a very similar experience, except that I stayed in the hopsital 5 days post-surgery because my daughter had some specialized care (completely UNrelated to the C-section), and because I was nursing, the pediatrician & lactation consultant requested that my stay be extended as well... I wasn't willing to leave my daughter overnight, and they were willing to work with that. Healing was very easy for me.

Even still, I wouldn't choose another C!

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#37 of 41 Old 02-13-2007, 02:33 PM

If I ever get pg again I will probably have ERC. My first pregnancy was 22+ hour labor, baby stuck at +1, 6cm. Second was a 3 day labor, 10 cm, pushed 3+ hours, baby stuck at +1, 10cm. With the first we thought he was stuck because he was asynclitic. Second was breech until 2 days before I went into labor (version). Lined up properly, everything was great. Then after I pushed for hours the doc said, "Your bones are in the way." This doc did everything she could to help me vbac. I do not feel I was coerced in any way into a repeat c/s. When she opened me she found that I had extensive adhesions from c/s #1. The incision on my skin is low transverse, but on my uterus I have a vertical incision all the way over to the right because it was the only place to put it. So I have 2 separate scars. The risk of rupture gets pretty high that way.

Also, even though my medical records don't state it I believe both babies were just plain too big to fit through my pelvis. Ds#1 was 6 lbs 6 oz with a 14" head. DS#2 was 7 lbs 14.5 oz with a 15+ inch head (15.25 I think). DS#2 was 50th percentile for weight and 95+ percentile for head circumference!

I am not planning to get pg again, but if I did I'd likely ERC.
#38 of 41 Old 02-13-2007, 05:31 PM

Here's my story. I have what is pretty much considered an elective primary cesarean section. I was pregnant with twins. Baby B stayed transverse most of the pregnancy and the doctor was convinced she (baby B) wouldn't turn. We discussed the "options" and she told me that our hospital didn't allow twin vaginal deliveries unless both babies are vertex. My response was "what if I just refuse to consent?" And she said that obviously that was an option, but probably not a good one. She also said that whether it was because she turned or I refused surgery that the hospital would demand I deliver in an OR "just in case" and have an ACTIVE epidural (meaning I would have NO feeling while trying to push) "just in case." My OB felt these just aren't favorable conditions for a vaginal birth, I would have a pretty tough time delivering. Especially since I was a FTM and had no clue what a labor and delivery felt like.

With all that stacked against me, I just kinda felt like there really was no way to succeed anyway. It wasn't until much later that it hit me, I could have refused the epidural too. Anyway... at 35 weeks, baby B turned. Baby A was already wedged into my pelvis pretty good too! The OB offered me a vaginal delivery, to which I responded that I have spent most of my pregnancy preparing for a c/s, it is SCHEDULED already, and my DH is coming home from Iraq for this birth. NO. She offered to have me induced the day before my scheduled c/s (or day of, but she felt starting it the day before would have me delivering day of). I repeated NO. I wish I had known better. She offered it again the following week, and the day before the c/s, she said we can admit you this evening and start everything.

I was given the option to do vaginal but was TRUELY scared. I look back on it and WISH I had known more and just gone for it. But I was scared and was prepared for a c/s at that point. My recovery was really quite easy, and the girls were fine.

Anyway, that's MY story. Now I'm hoping to have a tubal reversal soon (another dumb thing I let myself be talked into ) and eventually a VBAC baby.
#39 of 41 Old 02-14-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I think the majority of the time, we women make the decision of having a cesarean out of deep love for our babies. We tried the best we could, with the info we had at the time.
You know, I think this is what's behind my feeling about elective cesareans. If a woman has a cesarean because she honestly believes that it is safer for her baby in her specific case, I'm not going to criticize her for it. I'd certainly want her to do her research and make her decision based on knowing all the risks, but I wouldn't think any less of her for it. Even if it's a primary elective section because her sister had an unexplained stillbirth and she's terrified her own baby won't make it ... OK, maybe it's irrational, but I think it's a valid reason.

Now, someone who has a c-section so they can pick the right date or keep their tight vagina or get over being pregnant earlier ... : Seriously. WTF.

I'm trying to decide whether to visit that elective cesarean site or whether it's just too scary. I doubt those people would really want the 12 (not 6, 12!) weeks of painful recovery I had.
#40 of 41 Old 02-14-2007, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think the majority of the time, we women make the decision of having a cesarean out of deep love for our babies. We tried the best we could, with the info we had at the time.
Well said!

What's "UP" ?
#41 of 41 Old 02-14-2007, 12:00 PM

I know a woman from a mainstream breastfeeding board who had a completely elective c/s. Her baby is only nine or ten months old, so she doesn't have a really long-term perspective on her birth to share with you, and she doesn't seem to have good reasons for it (I've very gently questioned her in the past), but I think she might be willing to talk with you, especially if she thought you weren't going to try to convince her she made a mistake. If you want me to, I can ask her, so PM me if you like.

Nealy
Mama to Thales, 12/9/02, and Lydia, 2/26/06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page