Does VBAC = no pain meds? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2007, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my first 2 c/s's were due to impatient ob's, so i was a bit prepared for the vba2cs's. as w/ the other labors, it was more than 36 hours and i never felt the urge to push. if i had been in a hospital i would have had another c/s.

i chose no interventions at a free standing birth center b/c im pretty sure i didnt have any options w/o an emergency situation. i read enough re: the interventions to realize that once i started down that road, i woudl have quickly become a 3 c/s mama and I really wanted to avoid that.

the pain was no walk in the park, but it wasnt horrible. and it didnt last that long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 12:18 AM

I've always heard that epi's stalled labor also but it was the opposite with me. After days of stalled labor with my first, I got the epi and went from 5 to 10 in an hour. It was even less than an hour with my 2nd after getting the epi.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:19 PM

My VBAC was a long 39 + hours. I had pushed for 1 1/2 hours (fully dilated etc.) when I lost it mentally. I was fried, toast, ready to toss in the towel. The labor reminded me / scared me that I would end up with another c/s (had 2 already) after all this hard work. I paniced. Thankfully, my doula/midwife and doctor knew me and realized what was happening in my mind. In hind sight they said they thought I was having a post traumatic stress event at this point. If something didnt cvhange, I would have ended up with another c/s. So, my ob suggested I have an epidural - small dose, enough to let me sleep a bit and regroup my mental and physical strength. I did that. I fell asleep (sort of) humming/groaning to contractions adn slept (sort of) for about 1 1/2 hours when I woke up groaning/humming to contractions. I then pushed for another 1 1/2 hours and finally Austin was born.
The epidural saved ths birth. I was upset about having it because I had failed, however, my team told me that sometimes having a small dose of medication/pain relief/epidural can be what allows a mom to have the birth they imagine. Incidently, during my contraction filled snooze, Austin changed from posterior to anterior (hense the long labor).
I dont regret the epidural, I only wish I had been able to keep my mental edge . I am thankful that the team knew my wishes so much that they helped me have a hosptial VBAC after 2 c/s...almost unheard of these days!
Trust yourself and listen to your body...also, be gentle to yoruself.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:34 PM

I planned to go med-free with my VBAC, but I decided to get an epi around 5cm. I was exhausted from not sleeping & I was having incredible back labor due to dd being posterior. I don't regret it- I was able to sleep for a little while & then it wore off right around 9cm and was completely gone by the time it was time to push and baby was no longer posterior.
I was just so thrilled to have my VBAC with my 9lb baby girl who was 10 days past her EDD. I felt like I really beat the odds & didn't beat myself up about it.
I don't plan to use one next time, though. I think I'll be fine if I just stay home a litle longer

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 02-18-2007, 11:22 PM

I woke up at 4 in the morning having regular contractions. They sent me home at 1 cm and told me they would see me within a day. I labored at home until 10 at night. I was having contractions every two min. I got to the hospital and when they told me I had only progressed to three cm in 16 hours. I decided to get an epidural. Immediately the contractions slowed down and regulated. The nurse told me that I had been having irritation contractions. I had them with my first DD and had been in 4 times in false labor because of the irritation ctx. The epi allowed me to rest and I was able to deliver my DS at 8 the next morning, after 2.5 hrs of pushing. My Dr. did not once try to pressure me in any way. My VBAC experience was entirely positive and I am glad I did it.

Meghan
Old 02-20-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post
I know that you don't want the epi too early and slow the labor ... but could I get it at like 5 or 6 cm?

I had to get it very early (1cm) due to pitocin before my first baby (c/s). Since I will never have pitocin again, I am thinking I could get further into labor without needing paid meds. But I think I might want them towards the end. It's a little scary to try for no pain meds.

What are your experiences?
With my first VBAC, I got my epi at 3 or 4 cm. I continued progressing quickly and was at 10 within a few hours.

Second VBAC they checked me, I was 5cm, I got my epi 15-20 minutes later and DD was born less than an hour after that...Did even work completely.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:57 PM

I had an epi at 8cm. The main reason was fear of another c/sec, I had the urge to push and was wearing out due to fatigue and a migraine headache. It did however wear off most of the way by time I delivered. I really wanted and epi from the neck up since I couldn't take anything really strong for the migraine until after the birth, so pushing was a bi---.

Epi and IV meds have their place, use a lot of caution and consider them when other avenues have failed. Also, epi does not have to be infusing all the time and can be turned off so to speak if you choose. The catheter can be left in place and a re dose can be given if you need a large repair.

If you get IV meds and are too groggy then narcan can be given to reverse the effects also.

User Tag List