Pressure from OB concerning VBAC, any advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2007, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, my ob called me yesterday and decided he wanted me to come in for a non stress test and ultrasound (keep in mind, I'm not "due" until Monday 19).

My fluid was on the "low side of normal" but ok, and the baby is now measuring 9lb 12oz by ultrasound (keep in mind less than two weeks ago it was measuring 8lb 3oz...strange).

He was putting lots of pressure on me saying that this baby is "only going to keep getting bigger" and that "once it reaches 4500 grams (10lbs) via ultrasound that he will not be able to induce me"...so what does that mean, he'll drop me as his patient? He didn't say that but he really wanted me to go to the hospital NOW.

I feel so pressured. We scheduled to be seen on monday for another NST and ultrasound...he wants me to be induced Wednesday 21.

I am already 5cm and contract all the time but labor hasn't kicked in yet. I am so discouraged. I wanted a natural birth. I feel like if I let him rupture my membranes that my anxiety level will be up, I will be less focused on the natural aspect of the labor and more likely to make decisions like "epidural" or "pitocin"......I guess lots of nipple stim this weekend and lots of sex...maybe we'll go into labor. I am also scared now because they've told me I have this "big" baby...so I feel like natural labor is going to be sooooo much more painful than it would be if the baby was tiny....I wish I could have a midwife :

Anyone have a similar experience and have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2007, 04:08 PM

Why does he want to induce in the first place ?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:13 PM

Oh boy, can you look for another provider? Honestly, I wouldn't stay with a doctor that even entertained the idea of inducing a VBAC. If you aren't due till the 19th, you REALLY have a good two weeks after that until you are truly "late".

You may have to make some hard choices in order to get your VBAC. Right now you feel pressure, most likely he's going to up the fear-mongering and it could become unbearable.

Do you have a doula?

Have you considered staying home till you are about 10cm?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
FWIW, bigger babies usually are easier to push out, since they are bigger, they have less room to get into a bad birthing position.

Also I am so sorry about your situation. I would refuse the induction, and also try to keep this OB away from your privates, since if you do refuse the induction, he'll probably go "lemme just check you, oops your water broke while I was taking a feel". It happens all the time. Don't be bullied into something that you don't want.

U/S can be very off in determining weight, and especially if your fluid levels are lower than normal(your normal) it can make the baby measure bigger than it really is.

Why are you having the NST's in the first place, is there some other concern with your pregnancy? Are you making sure to keep well hydrated and nourished? Remember also a healthy mother will not grow a baby bigger than she can birth! Listen to your gut, refuse the U/S and NST's if you can, they cannot refuse you care! Try do do some natural things to gear your body up, 5 cm is a great place to start, and since you are so far progressed, it probably means baby just isn't in an ideal position to come out yet.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:32 PM

Wow they want to induce you w/ a VBAC? I agree with the PP... thats nuts. Inductions increase the risks of rupture and really are unnecessary.

I cant believe either that they would use the size listed on the U/S to make this determination. There is a 20% estimation with them doing weights by u/s (I think thats the number, I know it averaged out to about 2 lbs either way) So if they estimated you at 9, it could easily be 7 1/2 np. There's just no way to look at a flat picture and get an accurate weight off of it. I dont have the statistics with me, but I'm sure they're not too hard to find on the net, if you're interested.

Its really too late to find another provider unfortunately. I had tried to switch OBs at 34 weeks and nobody wanted anything to do with me because of how far along I was. If you're definitely going to have your babe in the hospital, I would sit down with your support person now, and make an iron tight birth plan (and make sure to allow for variations based on how things go (i.e. don't ask for a water birth if the hospital doesnt allow them, if you think you would want pain killers under a certain situation, set up a code word or something w/ your support person to make sure you are not hassled about them when you dont want them, etc)

After that, I would cancel the NST, or just not show up and stay home until the contractions are close enough together that you feel the need to go to the hospital (keeping in mind that the longer you are in the hospital, the more you'll have to deal with them wanting to run things/fighting for your VBAC)

Its ridiculous of them to try to scare you with the baby's weight. Please don't be afraid momma. You're going to have a great birth, and you'll do the right thing. Just remember... our bodies were made for this, and women have been giving birth since the dawn of time with no help from anyone. If we were not able to birth our babies unassisted, we never would have advanced to a point in time where doctors existed to put their hands into things in the first place.

Keep us in the loop! Cant wait to hear your baby story!!
Old 03-16-2007, 05:05 PM

Unless finding another provider is an option I would be very honest and say "I know that ultrasound weight measurements are very innacurate and I know that induction increases my rate of u/r , where as being overdue does not."
Then he can go on and on and you can nod and say ok thanks I'll think about it and then not answer the phone.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, here's why he's being so harsh....

My daugher, born via c-section, was only 7lb 11oz at 36.5 weeks, she was sunny side up (posterior) and I made it to 9.5 cm but stopped there for 4 hours. I was so doped up that I never moved around...she really didn't have a chance. But, no nurse, no doc, no one enlightened me to maybe moving around or something. They suggested c-section and we didn't know any better so we gave in.

This time we've done our research. We have a doula. The major problem is that our OB is our neighbor and someone we know socially. That truly makes it hard.

His main concern is the size. He told me if the baby gets to 4500 grams which is 10lbs that ACOG suggests NO INDUCTION. He wanted me to be induced today. When I say "induced" I mean, he wanted to break my water. That's all he'll do at this point (he said maybe light pitocin).

So basically, If we decide not to let him break my water, I guess he might drop us as a patient....I don't know. So we've scheduled an induction for Wednesday and we're going to try every natural thing to get this baby to come around this weekend. This is all against my wishes. If I had of known more to begin with I'd be with the midwives in Ardmore, TN. But, it's too late now. No one will take me.

I just pray my body decides to go into labor this weekend.

You've all made me feel better though. He just kept emphasizing "big baby" which only scares me...but I do know the ultrasound measurements are off generally by a lb...so trying to keep that in mind ( I wish my OB would)

And yes, If I go into labor we are staying here until I feel like it's time to push. The hospital is right across the street from us.

WISH ME LUCK...THIS SITUATION STINKS!
Old 03-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Oh, mama : . Your situation exactly is why I've stopped doula-ing. He has NO RIGHT to pressure you in this way. Your baby will come when the time is right. And, they (OBs) ALWAYS use the "big baby" and "low fluid" scare tactic -- all he wants it to make his life easier (does he play golf?). Ultrasounds can be off as much as TWO POUNDS!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't let him induce you!!! If he drops you, just let your body go into labor naturally, stay at home as long as possible, and then just go to your nearest hospital (if you feel the need to birth in a hospital). Your chances of having a healthy birth are FAR better that way than with an induction/scalpel happy OB. Anybody can catch a baby, and if you labor at home, that's all there will be left to do. Inductions seem to almost always turn into sections . . . . .

Let us know what you decide to do -- the choice is YOURS, afterall -- not HIS!

Living simply with the loves of my life! :::
Old 03-16-2007, 09:10 PM

I don't think that legally he CAN drop you at this point... I really don't understand his rush to induce. Is he scared you can't birth a larger than average baby? Because an induction is only going to INCREASE that likelihood... any OB worth their salt would understand that (which I guess there are less of those than their ought to be these days).

Seriously, you can refuse the induction. In some instances, I'd say sure, but this is absolutely not one of those instances. Heck, you're already 5cm??? You'll probably end up going very soon anyway... why would he want to take the risk of an induction?? Sounds nuts to me!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:48 PM

ITA hon, induction is not safe w/ a vbac and starting with breaking waters only puts you on the "baby-must-be-out-in-24-hours" clock - don't let him start that clock ticking! If he's a social acquaintance worth his salt he won't hold it against you - just becuase you know him socially doesn't give him the right to tell you what to do. His place is to offer advice, and then support your decisions with the best care he can offer UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES YOU CHOOSE. I don't believe he can drop you at this point either I understand that they have to give you 30 days AND a referral to someone who will provide what you're looking for.

Big hugs. praying you just go into labour so can avoid the whole conflict.

xo Robin
Old 03-16-2007, 10:49 PM

One thing I tell my own clients who are so worried that the baby is in there just growing and growing, is that for the most part that isn't true. Babies don't grow huge amounts in the last couple weeks, just a few ounces, especially post dates. A baby who is big at 41 weeks was big at 38 weeks - so freaking out and having an induction at some arbitrary time doesn't make much sense. We know that induction for "suspected macrosomia" increases the cesarean risk, not decreases it. We know that induction increases the UR rate, not decreases it.

I would really avoid an AROM induction because it may lodge a poorly positioned baby - and if you don't start to contract at some point you'll be faced with the choice of taking the risk of pitocin, or opting for a repeat cesarean.

If the baby is big, the baby is big. S/he will still be big next week, too. Your best chance for a VBAC is spontaneous labor, and your safest bet for you and your baby is spontaneous labor. I would repeat what the PP said, that having an induction increases the rate of UR, but a big baby does not, and that your priority is the safety of your baby. You don't have to consent to anything you are not comfortable with.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:41 AM

Just wanted to add, that HE cannot drop you as a patient, without you having a replacement OB to take you. I highly doubt he would do that. He may not be happy about you declining the treatment, but they have to provide you care until someone else is available to do it. I made the mistake of saying that I would go elsewhere to mine, and they took that as their out and kicked me.

I hope it works out for you momma. My thoughts are with you.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:46 AM

I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said, but I hoped to organize it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbrinkley View Post
His main concern is the size.
The size of the baby is not correlated to the ability to birth. Well, ok, maybe you couldn't birth a 18 pounder, but see, your body wouldn't/couldn't GROW an 18 pounder

Positioning is a major factor in ability to birth, and a larger baby tends to have less positioning issues.

The circumference of the head is the primary factor in pushing a baby out. The difference in head circumference is minimal (if any at all) with a larger baby - larger babies have more FAT, but their SKULLS don't get fat

Quote:
He told me if the baby gets to 4500 grams which is 10lbs that ACOG suggests NO INDUCTION. He wanted me to be induced today.
Induction is a risky maneuver for anyone, especially for a VBAC.

He has given you NO other reason to induce except that he won't be able to induce later. What kind of reason is that? Especially given how risky and unnecessary it is?

Cutting your options for induction later is not putting you at any sort of risk.

Quote:
When I say "induced" I mean, he wanted to break my water.
AROM puts you on the clock, which means (in a hospital) you must have the baby somehow within 24 hours. Since induction is a very dicey risk, the chances of c-section go up DRAMATICALLY here.

AROM increases your risk of infection. AROM increases the risk of prolapsed cord (though if the head is descended, that's pretty unlikely). AROM is not the harmless device he's trying to make it out to be.

Quote:
That's all he'll do at this point (he said maybe light pitocin).
Pitocin increases your risk of rupture.

Even light pitocin.

And you realize, there is a great chance that the "induction" won't push anything along - your baby will come when your baby is ready. So what do you think happens when the light pitocin doesn't do anything? Yup, they turn it up. Unnatural contractions, unmanageable. Epidural. Stay in bed. Don't move around. You know the story.

Put another way - sure, he'll only rupture your waters. That's all he'll do at this point. Sounds good, right? But what does that mean? What will he do at the next point? He knows full well what the slippery slope entails, he's just dangling the bait and hoping you'll swallow it. He's making it sound all nice because he's not telling you the rest of it. Oh, maybe a little pitocin, ok. Then what? Don't be fooled. Even if you think this is the best way to go, don't be fooled into thinking you can go back once this gets put into motion.

Quote:
So basically, If we decide not to let him break my water, I guess he might drop us as a patient....I don't know.
Not only CAN'T he drop you - why would you consider putting yourself and your baby at risk for fear that a doctor who is hell-bent on inducing you at ALL costs might drop you? (Not intending to be mean, just phrasing this in a way that might kind of stand out).

Quote:
So we've scheduled an induction for Wednesday and we're going to try every natural thing to get this baby to come around this weekend.
Baby will come when ready. You just put a lot of pressure on yourself, and that alone can stall labor. I know, I've had a similar occurence happen to me (labor stalled due to extreme discomfort about a situation I was in).

Quote:
This is all against my wishes.
Actually, no. You scheduled the induction, so that's with your consent. You can withdraw your consent, cancel the induction, and don't show up There is no medical reason - not even one your doctor is claiming - to induce. There are many medical reasons NOT to induce.

Quote:
If I had of known more to begin with I'd be with the midwives in Ardmore, TN. But, it's too late now. No one will take me.
Just curious, have you checked? They may indeed not want to take you on at this time, but then again they might. Also, have you considered a UC?

Quote:
I just pray my body decides to go into labor this weekend..
No need to pray. Decide to cancel the appointment and take the pressure off.

Quote:
You've all made me feel better though. He just kept emphasizing "big baby" which only scares me...but I do know the ultrasound measurements are off generally by a lb...so trying to keep that in mind ( I wish my OB would).
Yes, u/s measurements are actually plus or minus TWO pounds - terribly inaccurate especially when you consider it's measuring things that are on average 7-8 pounds. And as stated above, a large baby is not at all indicative of your ability to birth it and in fact has some advantages.

Quote:
And yes, If I go into labor we are staying here until I feel like it's time to push. The hospital is right across the street from us.)
I do agree that's your best bet - and that includes NOT going in for an induction Also, whether you are thinking of UC or not, do make sure to read up on birthing the baby yourself (sometimes called "emergency childbirth" though it really has no need of being an emergency ).

Quote:
WISH ME LUCK...THIS SITUATION STINKS!
I wish you luck, but I also wish you SELF-EMPOWERMENT as YOU HAVE THE CONTROL to avoid the stickiest part of this situation.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

That really puts things into perspective....I would be so confused if it weren't for you guys. I really feel like I owe you all for your wonderful advice.

You know it's funny because when I was sitting there listening to him I thought....oh no, If I don't go into labor on my own this weekend, I'll HAVE to be induced in order to possibly have a successful vaginal delivery because the baby is getting too big....I was thinking this the whole time.

I understand now, after what you've all said, that if he simply won't induce us if the baby is 10 lb on ultrasound, all that means is he "won't induce me". Which is EXACTLY WHAT I WANT, NO INDUCTION. I think I just couldn't rationalize in his office.

Now, the only negative thoughts I have, probably because of the office visit yesterday, are the following:

what if the baby's shoulder gets stuck
what if I NEVER GO INTO LABOR, -this is a major one I have because he was like "you've been 5cm for two weeks and you contract but nothing happens"
maybe I should be induced because the baby is only getting bigger
maybe I should be induced because I might never go into labor and my placenta will start deteriorating
.....etc, all these ideas he put into my head.

You know he also said that if my baby doesn't dot all it's i's and cross all it's t's ("if there's one little hickup on the day we induce") then he'll start pushing another section. He was up for me to just agree to either induction right then or another section right then. Yuck.

I feel so much stronger after all of your remarks. I feel scared when I think about telling him we don't want to induce, I'm so afraid of what he'll say, we've already left the hospital once AMA two weeks ago when he had me go down to get antibiotics because he did a ph test which he said concluded my bag was leaking, and I was 4cm so he thought I was in labor (my bag wasn't broken and labor stopped, if it were it's sealed off now, he did another test and it was neg)...so I feel like there all like "gosh why won't she just comply". The nurse was even like, "you know since you left the hosptial AMA two weeks ago that your insurance won't cover it" (guilt trip): . However, my wonderful husband said "I knew that, I don't care"......I had no idea...I think I will just let them do the testing Monday and then tell them we don't want to induce. My hubbie said he felt perfectly comfortable telling them no. He said he feels perfectly confident the baby will come on its own. I wish I were as confident as he is.

You know, it's hard trying to stand up for what you believe in when a doctor is there telling you all the horror stories and dangers...what if something does go wrong, he's going to be saying "I told you so". Which will really tick me off.

Honestly, my gut (my heart) tells me the baby will come, everything will go fine, and I am soooo ready for the full natural labor/birthing experience! I wish I wouldn't let the negative thoughts come in my head.

Next baby, Ardmore, here we come!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:36 PM

If the size of the baby is the only issue I wouldn't worry at all. I know several people who were told they were having big babies and had tiny little six pounders. Don't let him use that excuse.......it is just not accurate.
Any doctor that would induce a VBAC patient is just looking ahead to the inevitable c-section........don't fall for it!!!
Good luck.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:47 PM

It IS hard. My OBs played the dead baby card with me w/ DD. She was about 2 weeks late (planned vbac) and it was really hard. But remember, YOU are the one who has to live with your choices, not your OB. If you let him induce or do a rcs you are the one who will wonder and question it the rest of your life.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
what if the baby's shoulder gets stuck
I'm gonna have to take a pass on this one. I'm not familiar with the risk factors of shoulder dystocia. Other mamas will know more than me, and may be able to put you at ease here.

I *think* that positioning, not size, is the major risk factor. And I do know that the risk of bad positioning goes up with induction. It seems the body (usually) does not go into labor until the position is right, but induction interrupts that process.

But again, I am not certain about the positioning vs. size as risk for SD.

Quote:
what if I NEVER GO INTO LABOR, -this is a major one I have because he was like "you've been 5cm for two weeks and you contract but nothing happens"
OK, this one scares ME.

He is an obstetrician, and went to medical school and specialized in pregnancy and birthing and all that, and he thinks there's a chance that you won't EVER go into labor??

This would be absolutely laughable if it wasn't so disturbing to think he would tell you this.

Let me reassure you. This isn't a concern. At all. You will go into labor.

Being at 5 cm or 2 cm or 0 cm, we have seen over and over again here, doesn't have any bearing on how close or far from labor you are. We've seen women with a totally closed cervix one day suddenly go into labor and birth that night. We've seen women - like you - going around at 5 cm and nothing's happening for a while. But eventually, it will happen You will go into labor!

Quote:
maybe I should be induced because the baby is only getting bigger
Covered above, but worth repeating:

1) Size of baby not related to ability to birth
2) Amount of fat on baby not related to head size
3) Positioning advantages of larger baby
4) Vast margin of error on u/s
5) Last weeks babies don't grow much bigger

Quote:
maybe I should be induced because I might never go into labor and my placenta will start deteriorating
You can have a NST to check that if you're concerned. You can also do kick counts on your own. I don't believe placental deterioration is a significant concern unless you smoke or have terrible nutrition habits.

Quote:
You know he also said that if my baby doesn't dot all it's i's and cross all it's t's ("if there's one little hickup on the day we induce") then he'll start pushing another section. He was up for me to just agree to either induction right then or another section right then. Yuck.
Yuck is right. Honest, I'm not a UC-er (I much prefer a midwife present) but at this point I would be making plans for UC. So much for letting you gestate in peace, right?

Quote:
I feel so much stronger after all of your remarks. I feel scared when I think about telling him we don't want to induce, I'm so afraid of what he'll say [...]
Oh, I know what you mean. I hate confrontation, and these guys are in it to win. My advice: Say things like "I've done my research and I'm very comfortable waiting until I go into labor naturally" and "I'm not comfortable with induction" etc. - those are a little harder to argue with. You're making a statement about your comfort, and he can't tell you what you are and aren't comfortable with. He can argue that you are WRONG to be comfortable/not comfortable, though, but phrasing it that way doesn't invite as much argument, since you're not debating.

Quote:
However, my wonderful husband said "I knew that, I don't care"......I had no idea...I think I will just let them do the testing Monday and then tell them we don't want to induce. My hubbie said he felt perfectly comfortable telling them no. He said he feels perfectly confident the baby will come on its own. I wish I were as confident as he is.
Your DH ROCKS

Draw on his support.

Maybe print out this thread and show it to him. He can help you with your confidence. He might be able to remind you of certain things that ring particularly true for you guys, and he might be able to add things of his own.

There's just nothing better than getting rock-solid support from a partner, and it's just terrific that you have that.

Quote:
You know, it's hard trying to stand up for what you believe in when a doctor is there telling you all the horror stories and dangers...
Yeah. So my advice here would be to not do anything immediately just because you feel the pressure. You go in on Monday and he wants to induce right then and there? And you're really scared to say no? Find out exactly why he wants to induce (don't just take "we have to do it now" as a reason - why exactly is that?) and make an appointment for later. Even if it were later that very day, you'll give yourself a little space to think and research.

I'm not saying there is absolutely no reason for any intervention - just not so. So I would never tell you to refuse anything he wanted to do. But think of him as your ADVISOR, but YOU make the final decision.

Quote:
what if something does go wrong, he's going to be saying "I told you so". Which will really tick me off.
Yeah, that will definitely be true. But not a really good basis to make a decision on.

Also, how will you feel if you get induced, labor doesn't kick in, 24 hours later you give birth via c-section to a... drum roll please... 8 pound baby. Again, that isn't a good reason to refuse an induction either (there are plenty of those but this isn't one ) but it might sort of put things in perspective.

Quote:
Honestly, my gut (my heart) tells me the baby will come, everything will go fine, and I am soooo ready for the full natural labor/birthing experience! I wish I wouldn't let the negative thoughts come in my head.
Oh, I'm so glad. That also makes me feel even more strongly that you're doing the right thing by refusing an induction. An induction isn't going to solve anything, I feel very confident of that.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

I am definately going to print out this thread just to remind myself of everything I've regurgitated from my head/heart and everything you all have suggested.

And, laohaire, you're right, I know I'll go into labor. I'm just discouraged because I feel like my body is trying so hard but it just never kicks into gear. That makes me feel like something is wrong with me.

I have been eating well (besides my sweet tooth, I do good with fruits and veggies, all organic, eat as much as I can)....so I guess I should through out the idea of a deteriorating placenta.

I know I can stand my ground monday....especially with my hubbie (without him I tend to pull the "let me get back with you on that" defense mechanism). I just wish I would go into labor...that would make it all so much easier.

By the way, what is a UC?
Old 03-17-2007, 04:02 PM

Unassisted childbirth.

It will happen soon... hang in there!!!!!!!! Do you even have to go to the NST on Monday? I mean you'll only be 2 days "late" and each time you go and have something done it gives him another chance to come up with some reason why it has to happen RIGHT NOW, kwim? My OB didnt start ordering NSTs till I was a full week late.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:07 PM

You will go into labor. I have a good friend who walked around for a month at 5 cm (from week 36 to week 40) and nearly drove herself nuts trying to put herself into labor. She did go into labor, but not until the baby was ready. Your baby will come when its ready.

I'd not let myself be induced either. BAD idea for a vbac. I can't believe your OB is even entertaining that notion. I agree with what everyone else has said about AROM and putting you on the clock to. Bad idea. Stick to your guns and have the birth you want and that you are comfortable with . You'll be glad you did.

A UC is an unassisted childbirth. Just you, hubby and baby at the birth.

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoTwo View Post
Unless finding another provider is an option I would be very honest and say "I know that ultrasound weight measurements are very innacurate and I know that induction increases my rate of u/r , where as being overdue does not."
Then he can go on and on and you can nod and say ok thanks I'll think about it and then not answer the phone.
ITA!! In your shoes I think I would just stay away until I knew I was in labor - he can't do anything to you if you're not there for him to mess with!

Good luck and stick to your guns, sister! Sending successful VBAC vibes your way... and Grrrr-ing : over your doc, too.

Oh, and btw, my third baby was a wonderful HBAC after successful hospital VBAC w #2; c/s w #1 was failed induction due to AROM without my consent or prior knowledge!... ANYway, my second was 8lbs3oz (seven days "late") but this last little guy was 10 lbs 8 oz and ELEVEN days "late"... your body knows what it's doing - don't let your doc pressure you and don't worry about baby's size.

Heidi
Old 03-17-2007, 04:10 PM

My first was supposed to be 9 lbs and I was pressured into an induction. She was 7.14 With my second I declined any ultrasound guesstimates or NST tests as they're not very accurate. I suppose if I would have gone 2 weeks past my due date I would have considered them then. My ds was almost 9 lbs but I had no problems birthing him, its a good thing I declined the guesstimate! I was able to go into labor on my own, well I did get down on my hands and knees and scrub the bathroom and kitchen floors. Talk about nesting LOL And I was taking evening primrose oil tablets 2000mg orally a day but that's it.

Both weight and fluid estimates can be inaccurate, I wouldn't induce for those reasons if I were you. When he said he couldn't induce that sounds to me like he would be then pressuring you into a c-section after such and such date. EEK! Run the other way fast, get a midwife or something. Thats what I did when my OB started making me nervous.

Quote:
Ok, my ob called me yesterday and decided he wanted me to come in for a non stress test and ultrasound (keep in mind, I'm not "due" until Monday 19).

My fluid was on the "low side of normal" but ok, and the baby is now measuring 9lb 12oz by ultrasound (keep in mind less than two weeks ago it was measuring 8lb 3oz...strange).

He was putting lots of pressure on me saying that this baby is "only going to keep getting bigger" and that "once it reaches 4500 grams (10lbs) via ultrasound that he will not be able to induce me"...so what does that mean, he'll drop me as his patient? He didn't say that but he really wanted me to go to the hospital NOW.

I feel so pressured. We scheduled to be seen on monday for another NST and ultrasound...he wants me to be induced Wednesday 21.

I am already 5cm and contract all the time but labor hasn't kicked in yet. I am so discouraged. I wanted a natural birth. I feel like if I let him rupture my membranes that my anxiety level will be up, I will be less focused on the natural aspect of the labor and more likely to make decisions like "epidural" or "pitocin"......I guess lots of nipple stim this weekend and lots of sex...maybe we'll go into labor. I am also scared now because they've told me I have this "big" baby...so I feel like natural labor is going to be sooooo much more painful than it would be if the baby was tiny....I wish I could have a midwife :

Anyone have a similar experience and have any advice?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:26 AM

I'm so sorry that your OB is scaring you with the idea of a big baby. I gave birth 12 days ago to a 10 lb 4 oz baby. He is my second baby over 10 lbs. It was a short labor and a beautiful birth. It makes me crazy when OBs try to scare women into thinking that they can't possibly push out the baby that their body has grown. The overwhelming odds are that your body will grow the size of baby that you are physically capable of giving birth to. Please don't be scared of the idea of having a big baby. Chances are good that the u/s is off and that your baby is not 9 lbs., but even if it is 9 lbs., have confidence in your body. You can do it. Best of luck.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:59 PM

I'm guessing from lack of updates that the OP is in labor or has birthed, one way or another

Hope everything went well!!!!!!! Wishing lots of luck and serenity and positive baby-birthing!

Old 03-20-2007, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Laohaire,

Thanks for checking in....no baby. I am now 1 day post EDD....

Get this- I called and canceled my Monday appointment and declined induction. The Dr. called me back and said "fine" but basically begged me to come in for another u/s and NST. I was so hesitant but thought whatever, to get them off my back I'll go.

The lady who did the "9lb 12 oz" ultrasound was a nurse. On monday, a different lady did my ultrasound, she was an ultrasound tech, doing it for YEARS, her measurement was 8lbs...and just think if I had of done an induction last week. I would have been ticked. The ultrasoundographer?? said "there's no way that baby is almost 10lbs, I don't know where they got 9lbs 12 oz." She even spoke privately with the doctor and he was like "well that relieves a lot of stress". I was like, "just let me out of here, I'm sick of this."

And, one last thing. He stripped my membrane yesterday without asking or telling me: . The only way I knew he did it was after asking him what he just did and he told me. I bled alot and had HORRIBLE contx for 8 hours last night (8mis apt, never got closer). I have had some tonight...I know they'll go away.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:35 PM

Oh wow... he stripped your membranes without your consent?????
This madness has GOT to stop. Please, please report him for that. He'll keep doing it to all the women after you unless he's forced to stop.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:44 PM

You are the third person i've heard of in the last two weeks who has had a nonconsenting SOM. File a police report, please. Just file it, you don't have to press charges but if the report is there and someone else does press charges there's the evidence that this man ASSAULTS WOMEN. What he did is sexual assault. Period. There is no other way to describe it.

God that scares me so bad that people do this. I'm so glad I have midwives who are self-described "hands-off".

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
Old 03-20-2007, 10:47 PM

Good for you! I also agree with reporting this man! THe nerve.

From now on decline ALL internal exams. There is no need for them anyway.

Just rest, gestate in peace and baby will be here soon!

I have gone over due with the last 4 of my 5 babies and expect this one to be late as well. Nothing makes me happier then to just flow with it.

Have a nice relaxed birth.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:55 AM

I CANNOT BELIEVE he stripped your membranes without asking you for consent beforehand! Abominable! You're easily the 6th or 7th person I've heard this happened to just in the last 2 weeks! I am so sorry that happened to you -- but please report him to whatever hospital he has privs at, the insurance company, the police, the ACOG. Man, this p*****me off and it didn't even happen to me [this time]. What is with these HCPs just doing whatever they want to do?!

Sorry I will jump off my box now...

Hugs to you, mama -- I'd run from this guy if it were me.

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

Old 03-21-2007, 02:11 AM

I agree with everyone else, report this guy. I have had this happen to clients as well and it is not right. A doctor has no right to perform SOM without your express informed consent. It carries risks and you have been assaulted. At the very least, report him to his chief of staff and ACOG.

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.

User Tag List