Tori Spelling C/Section - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 03-17-2007, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may not be the right place to put this...But does anyone know why Tori Spelling ended up w/ a c-section? What sort of excuse did the doctors use to justify it? I am sure it was scheduled. It was her first kid too. Can anyone in Hollywood, w/ the exception of Kate Winslet, give birth vaginally?
#2 of 59 Old 03-17-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziejackie View Post
This may not be the right place to put this...But does anyone know why Tori Spelling ended up w/ a c-section? What sort of excuse did the doctors use to justify it? I am sure it was scheduled. It was her first kid too. Can anyone in Hollywood, w/ the exception of Kate Winslet, give birth vaginally?
Actually it was not scheduled. She went into the hospital in labor. There are pictures of her on the net, walking into the hospital and she is in obvious pain.

Also, Katie Holmes had a vaginal birth as have lots of others recently.
#3 of 59 Old 03-17-2007, 10:43 AM

Don't forget Cindy Crawford who had 2 home births.
#4 of 59 Old 03-17-2007, 11:51 AM

It is in REALLY bad taste to make assumptions about anyone like that.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#5 of 59 Old 03-17-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
It is in REALLY bad taste to make assumptions about anyone like that.
I agree.
#6 of 59 Old 03-17-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
There are pictures of her on the net, walking into the hospital and she is in obvious pain.
i'd like to see that pic for myself!
#7 of 59 Old 03-17-2007, 11:44 PM

I don't think it is in bad taste to question this. There was an article awhile back in our national newspaper entiltled " Too posh too push?" which talked abut the issue of scheduling c-sections for esthetics and convenience. This type of c-section appears to be on the rise and the costs are big for both moms, babies and society. Call me cynical but I often assume as well that many c-sections by celebrities would be done for the above reasons. Or perhaps celebrities are c-sectioned due to VIP status- OB's jumping the "cut" because of fear of adverse outcome of natural labor? Would be interesting to know stats of c-sections by celebrities as compared to normal pop.!
Anyway- I think it's great to question celebrity motives cause so many people look up to them and may base personal action on their examples.
#8 of 59 Old 03-17-2007, 11:58 PM

I agree with mumster...nothing wrong with asking or assuming since it has been happening so much more. Katie Holmes is the first in a while with a vaginal birth. Isn't she the only celeb in the last year that had one? Brangelina=c-section
Gwen Stefani=c-section
Britney Spears=c-section
Gwennyth Paltrow= c-section
Brooke Shields= c-section
Mariska Hargitay= c-section
Oh wait, Donald Trumps wife had a baby vaginally last year also, didn't she? So that's two...

Here's the pic of Tori going into the hospital, the baby was just over 6 lbs, so I doubt the c-section was for CPD. http://www.starmagazine.com/tori_spe...es/shots/11486 Looks like she's got her breastfeeding pillow though!

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.
#9 of 59 Old 03-18-2007, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about Tori Spelling's surgery - doesn't seem as though that was what she planned. As for many stars and their planned c-sections - I was given to understand that active herpes infection probably played a role in the choice.
#10 of 59 Old 03-18-2007, 02:44 PM

I dont know that I would call that obvious pain. I look like that just shifting my big pregnant self around in my chair.
#11 of 59 Old 03-18-2007, 02:55 PM

I read that she went into labor (spontaneously) about 2 weeks early. Not sure what happened at the hospital, though.
#12 of 59 Old 03-18-2007, 07:52 PM

I read her water broke at home before going to the hospital I think the csection was like 12hrs later. Cant remember where I read that ( think it was perez hiltons page)

Angelina's csection was due to a breech baby
Gweneths & Mariskas babies were well over 10lbs... I know I can deliver babies that size Im sure not all mommas can.

I read WAY to many tabloids.:

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#13 of 59 Old 03-18-2007, 08:55 PM

I agree with the previous posters. I think, from what I have gathered, that it was an "emergency" cesarean because she went into labor before her planned c.
#14 of 59 Old 03-18-2007, 09:06 PM

I don't know why I feel so raw about reading whether or not a celeb (and I'm usually pretty hard-hearted re: folks in the public eye) really warranted a c-section or not. I guess because I hate to think about anybody doing that for my birth. My brain goes "Well he was breech and early but maybe I could have signed out AMA and found a breech-friendly midwife! I could have gone unassisted and done kangaroo care!" And on and on and on... ) And it's not that I *don't* judge the "too posh to push crowd", at least somewhat, though I do try to get to a point where I feel sorry that they didn't have the education that I had regarding their bodies potential for birthing their babies. How many women (celeb or no?) have been sold the line that a c-section is just an alternative way of giving birth...even easier! I get mad at the system more than tsk-y at the first time mother. I am so sad for them! It's just that until I hear an obnoxious statement (and I know there have been plenty by these Hollywood types) about how they were simply too tiny to birth their behemoth 9 pound babes, I try really hard to with hold judgement.
#15 of 59 Old 03-18-2007, 09:15 PM

In terms of planned or not-exactly-emergency c/s happening more frequently with celebs...I'm sure liability plays a role if this really is the case. Just like mamas who are themselves doctors, or lawyers, or when the pregnancy is the first/only child after a mama's long battle with infertility...OBs tend to see these mamas as having more to lose, or at least, more to press charges over and they go with the procedure that will provide them with the best legal defense in case of accident.

However, I'm sure the hospital stats, state birth climate, regional standards of care, length of time since last birth (or c/s, I'm pretty sure Brit wouldn't have been "allowed" to vbac even if she wanted to considering the relatively short time between her births), and even the track record of the OB/care provider in charge have a bigger impact on the c/s rate than personal wishes of the mamas involved. Celeb or not, a mama giving birth in a state with a high c/s rate or in a hospital with a high rate or with a care provider who isn't familiar with or supportive of vaginal birth is certainly at higher risk for a c/s no matter what she has planned.

So while I think it's perfectly fair to ask if celebs have c/s more frequently (and why? Legal concerns on the part of the OB? Job based needs of the mama involved? General poor health due to infection, lifestyle, weight concerns, medical history) , I think the assumption that women in the media are more likely to request or get a c/s than the mainstream mama round the corner is a little unfair.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#16 of 59 Old 03-18-2007, 09:18 PM

Hey hopefully that boppy pillow means she's planning on bf'ing at least... though it could easily be a prop

Who knows what happened... with a nearly 30% US c/s rate for "regular" people, I'm not surprised most celebs end up getting sectioned for whatever reason.
#17 of 59 Old 03-20-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
I read her water broke at home before going to the hospital I think the csection was like 12hrs later. Cant remember where I read that ( think it was perez hiltons page)

Angelina's csection was due to a breech baby
Gweneths & Mariskas babies were well over 10lbs... I know I can deliver babies that size Im sure not all mommas can.

I read WAY to many tabloids.:
My 5' 21/2" sister had her 10 pound plus babe at home by HBAC. Tons of mamas have had way bigger babies vaginally. While many doctors would like you to think otherwise, almost all mamas can birth whatever size baby they are given.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#18 of 59 Old 03-20-2007, 07:11 AM

I thought Gwynth had vb?

All I can hope is that some day, one of these "famous" moms want to vbac and they make a big deal about it and then the press will cover the dilemma of vbac and the dangers of c/s etc.

Imagine someone famous as the spokesperson for ICAN!
#19 of 59 Old 03-20-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericswifey27 View Post
My 5' 21/2" sister had her 10 pound plus babe at home by HBAC. Tons of mamas have had way bigger babies vaginally. While many doctors would like you to think otherwise, almost all mamas can birth whatever size baby they are given.
I know some mommas can but not all. I CAN ... but my 5ft 11 in SIL couldnt deliver her 8lb6oz baby and I was there duing her labor along with her DH who is a RN. I know csections are over done but if it gives me a healthy baby they can cut me. Im sure we "judge" because we done know the facts. Its easy to armchair quarterback

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#20 of 59 Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Here's the pic of Tori going into the hospital, the baby was just over 6 lbs, so I doubt the c-section was for CPD. http://www.starmagazine.com/tori_spe...es/shots/11486 Looks like she's got her breastfeeding pillow though!
Thank goodness there weren't tons of photographers taking my picture while I was in labor on my way to the hospital! I was very careful to monitor at what moments I wanted my picture taken and walking into the hospital with the "what the hell is happening to me" look would not have been pretty. I also had my water break 4 weeks early before labor had really begun and it was pretty scary since my OB freaked out. Can't wait to try for a home birth again!

Katie

Katie, mama to Jackson (1.2.06) and Hogan (1.2.09)
#21 of 59 Old 03-20-2007, 09:19 AM

"OBs tend to see these mamas as having more to lose, or at least, more to press charges over and they go with the procedure that will provide them with the best legal defense in case of accident." wombatclay

I agree

As a mom who lost a baby it really stands out to me that famous people never seem to ever lose babies or have sick babies. I applaud the ones who do it naturally, because it does seem like their medical care is extreme.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#22 of 59 Old 03-20-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyDOK View Post
I thought Gwynth had vb?

All I can hope is that some day, one of these "famous" moms want to vbac and they make a big deal about it and then the press will cover the dilemma of vbac and the dangers of c/s etc.

Imagine someone famous as the spokesperson for ICAN!
I sorta pictured Angelina J. When she had her section I imagined her to be very disappointed. Her plan was very different. Right now she doesn't want any more biological children (isn't that common after an unwanted cesarean?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
I know some mommas can but not all. I CAN ... but my 5ft 11 in SIL couldnt deliver her 8lb6oz baby and I was there duing her labor along with her DH who is a RN. I know csections are over done but if it gives me a healthy baby they can cut me. Im sure we "judge" because we done know the facts. Its easy to armchair quarterback
Fetal positioning has A LOT to do with it. An 8lb 6oz baby can be presenting in such a way to have a HUMONGOUS head circumference.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#23 of 59 Old 03-22-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericswifey27 View Post
I agree, nature wouldn't put someone there, if that someone wouldn't be able to come out.
#24 of 59 Old 03-22-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I agree, nature wouldn't put someone there, if that someone wouldn't be able to come out.
While mamas are certainly capable of birthing all sorts of babes, and our bodies are amazing and powerful in ways that modern western medicine has more or less worked against for generations now...please don't discount the very real "negative" side of birth. Nature doesn't "care" about a specific mama and babe...nature only "cares" that the majority of mamas have babes.

Birth as a natural process is glorious and powerful, but it can be dangerous and deadly to both mama and babe. There is a reason traditional and historical societies compared childbirth to war and developed support systems for women facing this event. Conditions like obstetric fistula are rare but not unheard of (WHO puts the annual number between 50,000 and 100,000) and it seems that a c/s rate of around 10% worldwide is actually a fair number in terms of the percentage of women who really wont deliver a live babe or survive birth themselves without that type of extreme intervention.

Just becuse our own culture has come to glorify intervention and uses technology beyond any reasonable bounds, it doesn't follow that all interventions are unnecessary.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#25 of 59 Old 03-22-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
While mamas are certainly capable of birthing all sorts of babes, and our bodies are amazing and powerful in ways that modern western medicine has more or less worked against for generations now...please don't discount the very real "negative" side of birth. Nature doesn't "care" about a specific mama and babe...nature only "cares" that the majority of mamas have babes.

Birth as a natural process is glorious and powerful, but it can be dangerous and deadly to both mama and babe. There is a reason traditional and historical societies compared childbirth to war and developed support systems for women facing this event. Conditions like obstetric fistula are rare but not unheard of (WHO puts the annual number between 50,000 and 100,000) and it seems that a c/s rate of around 10% worldwide is actually a fair number in terms of the percentage of women who really wont deliver a live babe or survive birth themselves without that type of extreme intervention.

Just becuse our own culture has come to glorify intervention and uses technology beyond any reasonable bounds, it doesn't follow that all interventions are unnecessary.
Yes I agree, but I thought that it would be understood without me having to saying in most circumstances. We all are here for support and this does not need to be turned into a debate . Let's keep it that way.
Peace.
#26 of 59 Old 03-22-2007, 09:56 PM

I just was wondering where everyone gets off being so judgemental? Deliver your babies however you like... what business is it of yours how other people deliver theirs. I agree that someone wanting a cesarean just to avoid the "inconvenience" of labor is not the ideal situation. I have just been reading all of the negative posts about women having cesareans because of the size of the baby. I go in for my cesarean on Monday, because my baby is measuring really big. I don't feel guilty for it, nor do I feel like I am less of a mother because I am wanting to avoid possible complications or massive tearing trying to deliver a big baby.
#27 of 59 Old 03-22-2007, 10:15 PM

Tori Spelling had her son at Cedars-Sinai in LA, which has a DREADFUL reputation for natural (and vaginal) birth. It has one of the highest (if not the highest) cesarean rates in CA, and the docs there put you on a 12 hour clock once your water breaks, rather than the standard (but still ridiculous) 24 hour clock. I just attended a birth there that ended in cesarean, due totally to the care providers convenience and bullying (and that stupid 12 hour clock). I am really jaded about Cedars- just because the celebrities birth there doesn't mean it's the best!

But I wish Tori all the best with her son- I love his name!
#28 of 59 Old 03-22-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachykeen View Post
I go in for my cesarean on Monday, because my baby is measuring really big. I don't feel guilty for it, nor do I feel like I am less of a mother because I am wanting to avoid possible complications or massive tearing trying to deliver a big baby.
I am all for a woman choosing a cesarean if she wants one and is fully informed of the risks and benefits. Her body her choice. Her HCP's responisbility to inform her of her choices.

I am not judging your choice here, but the actions of your care provider. I do not pretend to know your history or anything about your health and decision other than what you posted.
A doctor would not be backed up by scienctific research to offer a cesarean under the guise of it being medically indicated soley for a baby that "measures large". Ultrasound measurements at term are considered to be plus or minus two pounds. Tearing as as much to do with the way the delivery is managed (or not) as it has to do with fetal size.

I think much of the judgement you see on this thread seems directed at the people having the cesareans, but it's more so directed to the health care providers who are notorious for practicing medicine in such a way that results in a cesarean rate like that in LA. Many people just don't mind buffering statements when it comes to celebs so it seems directed at them.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#29 of 59 Old 03-22-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachykeen View Post
I just was wondering where everyone gets off being so judgemental? Deliver your babies however you like... what business is it of yours how other people deliver theirs. I agree that someone wanting a cesarean just to avoid the "inconvenience" of labor is not the ideal situation. I have just been reading all of the negative posts about women having cesareans because of the size of the baby. I go in for my cesarean on Monday, because my baby is measuring really big. I don't feel guilty for it, nor do I feel like I am less of a mother because I am wanting to avoid possible complications or massive tearing trying to deliver a big baby.
I actually believe that women should have access to cesarean births for no reason whatsoever but their preference, and it's no reflection on the quality of their motherhood. But I hate that women feel unneccessarily pressured into c-sections by their doctors. Doctors need to step back so women can deliver their babies how they like! Both of my babies were 10lbs at birth, and if I'd been pressured into cesareans for delivery, I'd have missed out on an experience I personally treasure, and it would've made me angry and feeling "what if". I wasn't pressured by my care providers though and labored for both. Both births had the most common complication of "prolonged labor," but my uterus (and all my girly bits,) were left intact. However, if I'd had qualms about the idea of it, and went seeking a c-section to feel more comfortable, I fully feel I should have had informed access to one simply because I wanted it, lol.

And - Congratulations on your impending birth!
#30 of 59 Old 03-23-2007, 12:30 AM

Well, I appreciate the posts following mine. I just got the impression from most of what I was reading that the judgements being made were unfair. Thanks, and congrats to all of you who are expecting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page