If you feel your C/S was unnecessary - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What was the reason given for your C/S?
Malpositioning 34 100.00%
Big baby 14 100.00%
Prior C-section 2 33.33%
Failure to progress 49 100.00%
Fetal distress 26 100.00%
Other 17 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 44 Old 04-06-2007, 03:29 AM
 
HappyMommy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was bullied into it. I fought the pitocin and the cs, and got about an extra hour "granted" by the ob. Now I know I HAVE to fight even harder ... but I am preparing for an HBAC so I don't have to fight during labor. That certainly can't help anything!

Official med records: CPD

Real reason: My water broke, and I was put on the "24 or else" clock. Forced Pitocin, with multiple rapid increases in dosage. Epidural, so I could sleep all night. 6 a.m., I was at 10cm. Was told to push before epi wore off, so couldn't really do anything. After 45 minutes of pushing, forced cs.
HappyMommy2 is offline  
#32 of 44 Old 04-06-2007, 07:35 PM
 
Kbrinkley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first was after I went to the hospital with what I now know were braxton hicks contx at 36.5 weeks. Doc broke my water and started me on pitocin. After 12 hours, notoriously at 8pm, the doc came in and said "you've been at 9.5 cm for 4 hours, you'd be a good candidate for a c-section." We didn't know any better and I was on so many drugs I just said "whatever." My dd was 7 lb 11oz 18 inches long.

Two weeks ago I tried a VBAC. Got to the hospital an hour or so after HARD labor started (and to note the doc swept my membrane without asking the day before, I had hard labor that night but it stopped) and was still only 6cm 100% effaced. Tried laboring naturally for a few hours and ended up with an epidural. I was at 8 cm just mins after getting the epi but stayed at 8cm for 12 or so hours. My cervix began to swell an hour after we agreed to AROM. I cried a lot...then agreed to yet another c-section. The ds was 10lbs and 22inches long.

I would LOVE TO TRY A VBA2C. Just don't know enough about it yet to be comfortable with the idea.
Kbrinkley is offline  
#33 of 44 Old 04-06-2007, 09:11 PM
 
pookel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Catching more flies with honey
Posts: 3,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They didn't say the words "failure to progress," but I pushed for three hours and the baby wasn't moving any further down, so I guess that's what it counts as?

I'm not sure I'd rank it as 100% unnecessary; I think it's more a case of, "if things had gone differently, I might have been able to push him out." I didn't realize he was posterior, and I might have tried different positioning (and walking around, etc., longer) if I had known.

I think by the time I had the c/s, though, it was justified.
pookel is offline  
#34 of 44 Old 04-06-2007, 11:08 PM
 
slingsandsacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My c-section was necessary. My son had a birth defect called craniosynostosis, which means that the sagittal suture never formed in his skull so his head could not mold to the shape of my birth canal. After 2 hours of pushing, he was stuck; it took two doctors to pull him out. I did not get to really see or touch him for 2 hours, which still saddens me 16 months later. I am planning a vbac next time around.
slingsandsacks is offline  
#35 of 44 Old 04-07-2007, 10:57 PM
 
nurnur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
first c-sec: FTP & "probable" CPD (acutally says probable on the charts) he was a biggy 10.3 but still it was unnecessary and he was never in distress. 10 hrs on pit when they started pushing for the c-sec.

second c-sec: intimidated into a scheduled c-sec (twins), repeatedly asked if "I wanted to risk the death of my babies or myself". They were taken at 39wks w/o labor and it was very traumatic for all 3 of us, not to mention my ds (2 at the time) and dh.

5 years later, after years of grieving and reading and searching my own soul I had a hvba2c and this first baby to pass thru my pelvis was 10.4!
nurnur is offline  
#36 of 44 Old 04-09-2007, 10:51 PM
 
pfamilygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas, howdy y'all!
Posts: 1,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first was for back-down transverse lie after SROM. I asked if we could do an amnioinfusion and try to flip her since she was tiny (4 lb 15 oz) and they laughed in my face. My midwife says they do them all the time at the hospital I am delivering at this time. Grrrr.

My second was sort of by choice. Luke had a poor BPP due to a snug knot in the cord. My doctor offered induction or c/s. I didn't feel comfortable with pitocin only 19 months after the c/s. Plus my cervix was not ripe and his head was not well applied. I had a feeling we'd end up in the OR after all.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
pfamilygal is offline  
#37 of 44 Old 04-10-2007, 04:18 AM
 
joanq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New here

My doctor gave me almost every reason in the book! First, before he was born she went on about my "small pelvis" and the "big baby".
Pelvis: it wasn't small until I was about 38 weeks pregnant, if it was so small it is interesting no one else has ever mentioned it.
Baby: Ended up (to my surprise) a big boy. 9lb 14oz, 22 1/2 inches, 15 inch head. With a weight gain of 20 pounds this was a shocker to me.

My official documented reason is FTP after full dilation and pushing. I was in (prodromal/back, although it seemed real at the time!) labor for 3 days prior to going to the hospital. However, with an epidural and lying in bed with an OP baby this shouldn't come as a shock. He was also ascynclitic, presenting with the side of his head. I truly think that if I had been up and about during then end of my labor this would have made a huge difference.

The catheter was kinked and my bladder was huge. It "popped" out on the operating table and I've had some issues since. Thinking about a big head in a small space I'm betting that the bladder had something to do with the baby being unable to rotate. Just a guess on my part though.

Thanks for reading my novel!
joanq is offline  
#38 of 44 Old 04-10-2007, 09:08 AM
 
warrior mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mine was necessary. DD was stuck in my pelvis - they even had trouble getting her out via the abdomen! It must have been positioning my larger son was born vaginally!
warrior mama is offline  
#39 of 44 Old 04-11-2007, 08:12 PM
 
Mama2Setia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My c-section was due to my OB wanting to party, seriously! I went into labor on New Year's Eve 2001. I've never seen this doctor for any of my prenatal care before.

His reason for cutting me open was that my baby was too big and that I failed to progress. I was only in the hospital for a mere 12 hours before he decided that he wasn't about to miss New Year's Eve!

I never saw him after our son was born. Never even came by to see if I survived his brutality.

Not going to the hospital with this next baby!

Mama2Setia
DS 12/31/01
EDM November 2007
Homeschooling family
Attachment parenting family
Mama2Setia is offline  
#40 of 44 Old 04-13-2007, 11:45 AM
 
ebony_vbac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lansing, michigan
Posts: 522
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i believe my cs was unecessary because i dont even think i was in active labor, my baby was floating and posterior and i think i was in prodromal labor because she was tying to turn. i was dilated o 6cm when i got to the hosptial and stayed at 6c, the 7 hours i was there, because i stayed at 6cm for 7 hours they decided failure to progress. my ctx were not painful, and they pressured me into everything i didnt want, arom, epidural, i agreeed to pitocin cuz i just wanted to get the baby out so they would leave me alone but by the time they asked me to have the section, i was so broken down and frustrated with them that i felt i didnt have any fight left
ebony_vbac is offline  
#41 of 44 Old 04-14-2007, 12:43 PM
 
Ks Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ - in our perennial garden
Posts: 1,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I voted other: failure to descend.

I was completely dilated (had a cervical lip, so technically 9.5cm).

While I don't think my C/S was "unnecessary" at the time (after 31 hours of broken membranes, fever, complete exhaustion, unmitigated back labor, and malposition... it was time for my baby to be born), understanding what I do NOW about the importance of fetal positioning for dilation and birth, I believe had I stayed home longer, labored differently (had we known baby was posterior) earlier on, I think my baby *could* have been born vaginally.

Which is why I'm going for a VBAC this time... because I don't know for sure that CPD was the cause (though its been suggested by my OB).

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

Ks Mama is offline  
#42 of 44 Old 04-14-2007, 12:50 PM
 
Ks Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ - in our perennial garden
Posts: 1,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior mama View Post
mine was necessary. DD was stuck in my pelvis - they even had trouble getting her out via the abdomen! It must have been positioning my larger son was born vaginally!

This is what my MIL, mother, and DH said - when they watched the C-sec - the doctor really had trouble pulling her from my pelvis through my abdomen, she was that stuck! They even got the vacuum out during the C (didn't end up using it)!

So, like I said, CPD might be the case... we'll have to wait and see. I believe that going into labor naturally is SO important though, that I'd willingly go through what I did first time around again, even if it ends up in another C.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

Ks Mama is offline  
#43 of 44 Old 04-14-2007, 08:21 PM
 
kirstent75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my first daughter, she went into fetal distress with heart decelerations that weren't recovering the way the doctor had hoped. There was also meconium presence... She was posterior as noted in my records when she was born via cesarean with me under general anesthetic. It was 11:30pm at night - she was posterior, and I was forced to stay on my back in THE most uncomfortable position possible so their damn machine could pick up her heart rate... I truly believe that had i been able to get UP and do what I needed to do, she would not have been in distress and i would have had her naturally.

My second daughter was born via cesarean because she was measuring over 10 lbs and I was a few days after the official due date... (again, nonsense...) This time I *was* more educated, but was so broken feeling after my first daughter (who I had 5 days before my due date), I fell for the doctors last minute scare tactics - "Everyday you let this pregnancy continue, you are putting your daughter further at risk." Despite non-stress tests saying otherwise, despite my feeling good physically, despite everything but an inaccurate u/s. I gave in and had a planned cesarean right at the end - she was 9lbs 15 oz - NOT over 10 lbs as the u/s said... lol

I stayed home to have my third daughter, and hired a midwife midway through my pregnancy (who ironically had been trained by my former OB, but was trusting of birth, thank goodness.) 3 days after I had my daughter at home, I went back into my OB's office JUST to tell him I'd had her at home and everything went beautifully. I just wanted to look him in the eyes and let him know that IT WAS POSSIBLE AND IT WAS SAFE.



kirsten
kirstent75 is offline  
#44 of 44 Old 04-17-2007, 04:47 AM
 
joanq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son also was stuck. His head audibly "popped" out after the nurse pushed up from below and the doctor pulled him out. But in my case I really think it was the positioning not the size of the head.
joanq is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off