What was most important to your successful VBAC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2007, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My VBAC is just around the corner! Woo hoo!!

Meeting with our doulas this week has brought into focus for DH & I the importance of surrounding ourselves, myself in particular, with POSITIVE VBAC stories, positive & empowering birth stories, etc.

So for those of you who have had SUCCESSFUL, POSITIVE VBACs, would you please share your stories, what was most important for you to have reached your VBAC birth, what things you did in labor that made the most difference, and if you have any empowering mantras, PLEASE POST THEM HERE!

Thanks!

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2007, 02:31 AM

I think the most important part for me was having three (mw, dh, and mw asst.) people there who really and truly understood how desperately bad I wanted it. They were all on my side and were there to talk me through the rough spots where I begged to transfer (for sleeping drugs!) and said I couldn't do it

Another important part was finding my way to letting go and surrendering to the pain. My labor progressed much more quickly once I ended my fight against it.

I hope you have a fantastic birth!
Old 04-28-2007, 03:12 AM
Fay

My doula, who had 2 VBACs herself and co-wrote an excellent book on the subject, helped me work with my body throughout my very long labor. I truly believed that each contraction was bringing me closer to my baby, so I welcomed the sensations of my body opening up and releasing him. I recommend visualizing your ideal birth as well as how you might handle a few bumps along the way (for example, my baby was posterior). It's been 3 months already, and I still find myself returning every day to my cherished memories of my beautiful VBAC. Good luck to you and your baby!

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
Old 04-28-2007, 03:26 AM

I had a more than supportive midwife and a homebirth. Without those things there is no way I could have had a VBAC (the hospitals here don't do it).

I had a great labor. Contractions started early Saturday morning, dropped over during the day, then picked up at 7pm, around 10 they got stronger, 2 am stronger still, water broke at 4 and I got in the tub shortly after, ds was born at 5:36 Sunday morning. I slept between contractions, I was so tired but also comfortable enough to sleep.

It was great. dd watched the whole time and loved it.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 04-28-2007, 04:51 AM
Banned

The most important thing for me was determination. I was determined to have a VBA2C and I did. It didn't go exactly as planned because I'd planned a UC waterbirth and ended up transferring and getting epidural, but the end result was the same.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For me the differences that made it possible were the support of my incredible midwife and the at-home adjustment during labor from my chiro. I have now had two very long labors, but with the help of the chiro to get the baby positioned well and the perfect advice of my MW and her constant support, the outcomes were very different!

I hadn't thought much about it, but laboring in water helped, too. I delivered on the bed, as expected, but spent a lot of time in the birth pool during transition. (With my first, they did an nonconsensual AROM when I arrived so I couldn't get in the tub.

And most of all, KNOWING that I could do it got me through. I had quite a few times where I just needed to know this was normal, progressing, going to happen, etc, and my MW was fantastic with her support - honest about how long it COULD take but always encouraging. So I never lost my resolve, nor did I ever doubt that I could continue and birth my baby. (Though it was quite a shock when I really did! )

Surround yourself with the BEST people who really care about you, and you will be set for a wonderful birth!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:05 PM

I had a vba2c (w/ insulin dependent gestational diabetes) in January. The things that might have made the difference for me this time:
- Waiting until I was pretty far along in labor to go to the hospital (which was a LONG time since my water was broken for more than a day before contractions started).
- Having chiropractic care
- Hypnobirthing

Good luck to you!
Old 04-28-2007, 02:04 PM

After two unwanted cesareans, I had a successful VBA2C. With my second pregnancy I had planned to VBAC but failed because I was not armed with enough information, and went into it assuming I was taking a huge risk. It was not hard for them to scare me into a cesarean in the end.
This time I read all I could, and I knew that I would have a VBAC. I surrounded myself with positive people, and I was extremely confident and positive myself. If anyone would ask me: "but what will you do if you have to have a cesarean?" I would reply with "that is not going to happen."
I have a very supportive husband, and my mom was my other support person. I had a long 32 hour painful labor, but I carried on.
I agree with what others have said: knowing I could do it, and simply being 100 percent determined to do it is what brought me my success.
And I can't say enough what an amazing and empowering experience it was.
You can do it, mama!
Old 04-28-2007, 02:15 PM

1. Supportive care provider.

2. Staying at home a good long time before heading to the hospital.

3. Supportive care provider.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:47 PM

I thank the MW who dumped me at 37 weeks for taking her fears elsewhere and leaving me to just birth.

No timing, no time limits, no examinations, no monitoring. Just at home, with those who love me, giving birth over many days till a baby came out Simple!
Old 04-29-2007, 09:24 AM

For me the most important aspects to having a successful VBAC was
1) DEFINATLY Surrounding myself with positive energy and BELIEVING I could do it
2) My midwife, my Doula, a supportive husband and SUPPORTIVE friends
3) taking the information from friends that had succesful VBACS and what they learned from it and running with it
4) I also went med free so eliminating any distractions so I could stay focused and in MY ZONE while laboring was a HUGE Plus

Here is a link ot my birth story if you havn't read it already!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=658985

Good luck to you! You CAN AND WILL Do it!
Old 04-29-2007, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, thank you everyone! Please keep your stories & ideas & mantras coming!!

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

Old 04-29-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bmumof2 View Post
4) I also went med free so eliminating any distractions so I could stay focused and in MY ZONE while laboring was a HUGE Plus

Yes!
I labored and birth in a room with no windows and no clock!! That, I think, was pivitol considering I was there for 15 hours (arrived at 5cm). If I would have been watching a clock, I would have felt just the way I did in the hospital before my cesarean... like time was melting away and I was doomed.
I'm a huge advocate of no clocks :
Old 04-29-2007, 09:54 PM

For me... good posture during pregnancy = successful VBAC!

I actually had less support during this labor (only dh and I). Water broke at 9:15 pm, in hopital bed by 10:15 pm, dd born at 11:58 pm after 15 minutes of pushing! Positioning of the baby in utero was key for my success.

partners.gif = angel2.gifloveeyes.gif & shy.gif
Old 05-01-2007, 12:44 PM

For me, its a tie between having a very good, almost midwife-like OB and a great supporter in my DH.

My OB had no prob with letting me go postdates, encouraged me to do nipple stimulation, RRL tea, etc to try to get my labor going, and never once did ANYONE in my labor room start shouting "Push! Push!" when I was in the pushing stage. My OB even said "You're complete. You can either start to push if you want or wait till you feel the urge." How's that for an OB?

My DH did his research ahead of time and we had many long discussions over our birth plan. He knew what I wanted and why. He made sure I had the nurse I wanted, the room I wanted, and even knew when I was in transistion before I did! It made for a great experience.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first successful VBAC happened because I relied heavily on my faith. I have often said that Jesus was my other doula. I'm happy to discuss it further if you want. Just PM me.

The other things I did to get the greatest odds of success were:
  • Hired a doula (who was also a midwife)
  • Took a comprehensive childbirth class (Bradley method)
  • Planned an unmedicated birth
  • EXTREMELY carefully selected by OB and hospital
  • Trusted in my body to birth my baby

To ensure success for my second VBAC, I had my baby at home. Saved a lot of hassle and stress in planning.

User Tag List