washington state and VBAC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-04-2007, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard barely any midwives or docs will do vbacs anymore in WA? anyone had one in wa state?
#2 of 18 Old 05-04-2007, 10:57 PM

I had one at Evergreen Hospital in Kirkland. Most of the OBs and midwives there do them. Where in Washington do you live?

Nealy
Mama to Thales (posterior c/s 12/9/02) and Lydia (VBAC 2/26/06)
#3 of 18 Old 05-05-2007, 05:16 AM

There are some!! I am part of the local ICAN group here in Seattle and there are many woman that are home and hospital birthing vbac's!!! Get in touch with us on our yahoo group and you can get more info about it!

Melissa loving my DH and DD(4yr)hearts.gif Most likely in my garden. Two angel.gif that I'll remember forever. My baby is here!!! Ethan Matthew came at 42 weeks on 5/19/10 9.10 lbs hbac.gif
#4 of 18 Old 05-05-2007, 12:43 PM

It's true that it's becoming more unusual to find a MW or OB who will attend a VBAC, but it's not impossible. There are several midwives in the Seattle-Tacoma area, and I also know that it's possible to find people in the Spokane area as well. Small rural communities (like mine), well... it's a bit harder, but you just have to put your nose to the ground and be prepared to overcome some obstacles.

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#5 of 18 Old 05-09-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I'll check out that yahoo group. I am in the seattle-tacoma area so if you want to post or pm me with people to consider that would be great. Thanks!
#6 of 18 Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 AM

Tacoma General does VBAC's and is a baby friendly hospital as well
#7 of 18 Old 05-11-2007, 02:09 AM

I'm not yet pregnant, but the OBs and Midwives at the Center for Women's Health at Evergreen are very VBAC supportive and boast a 96% success rate. Down south it is getting iffy, but I also know someone who delivered a VBAC at Valley Medical Center.
Good luck!
#8 of 18 Old 05-11-2007, 02:30 PM

I know that Southwest Washington medical center is very supportive of VBACs.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#9 of 18 Old 05-11-2007, 02:41 PM

I know that the further down south you go, the harder it is to find a vbac friendly provider. Yea, check out Ican-seattle yahoo group, there are lots of lady's that can help you with this!!

I know of a homebirth MW in Renton that does vbac's. PM me for her info!!

Melissa loving my DH and DD(4yr)hearts.gif Most likely in my garden. Two angel.gif that I'll remember forever. My baby is here!!! Ethan Matthew came at 42 weeks on 5/19/10 9.10 lbs hbac.gif
#10 of 18 Old 05-15-2007, 06:53 PM

My OB at the UW Medical Center said I could have a VBAC.
#11 of 18 Old 05-16-2007, 04:34 AM

I had a lovely NP midwife who would attend a homebirth or one at her place, She lived in Montesano? I think. Just outside of Aberdeen.
#12 of 18 Old 05-18-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesh38 View Post
My OB at the UW Medical Center said I could have a VBAC.
UW Medical Center, and Swedish both have high c-section rates and lower VBAC success rates it seems. The people that I know if doula work around here as well as in the parent/family support non-profit community pretty much agree that VBAC is more supported by the midwives at Group Health and Evergreen (for the Seattle area).

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#13 of 18 Old 05-20-2007, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
i'm moving back to seattle this summer (hopefully!!!) and will be ttc again probably in a little over a year. Do birth centers in the area accept vbacs?

Oh yeah, I tried to join the seattle ican yahoo group. I got an email from the leader saying she'd approve my request after I sent her my first name. I did, and a few days later I got a notice that my request was denied What gives? I emailed her back asking why, and no response Someone on that list want to see if a leader can send me an invite? : email is xoxrachoxo at aol dot com (umm..yeah i've had that since i was 12, lol)

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#14 of 18 Old 05-22-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
i'm moving back to seattle this summer (hopefully!!!) and will be ttc again probably in a little over a year. Do birth centers in the area accept vbacs?
No, birthcenters here don't except vbacs. Its either home or hospital. Yea, it sucks!

#15 of 18 Old 05-22-2007, 01:38 AM

I had a VBAC at Central WA before they banned them and also a planned HBAC in Spokane. We transfered to a local hospital (Holy Family in Spokane) but was supported in my VBAC. My MW from Spokane moved to Long Beach, WA and I think she is still practicing there.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#16 of 18 Old 05-22-2007, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
oh the irony. for my first, at the beginning of pregnancy birth center was my ideal. but at 4 weeks pregnant I moved to a place that has no birth centers. i was terrified of the hospitals, so I forced myself to get comfortable with a home birth, and by the end of pregnancy i was horrified at the thought of giving birth anywhere BUT home, and couldn't believe I'd ever considered anything else.

Not preg yet, but now again, with a vbac i think i'd prefer a birth center, and I'm moving back to a place with them, and now I'm not allowed! Figures, eh? maybe i'll just have to work up the courage to HB again.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#17 of 18 Old 05-24-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

Oh yeah, I tried to join the seattle ican yahoo group. I got an email from the leader saying she'd approve my request after I sent her my first name. I did, and a few days later I got a notice that my request was denied What gives? I emailed her back asking why, and no response Someone on that list want to see if a leader can send me an invite? : email is xoxrachoxo at aol dot com (umm..yeah i've had that since i was 12, lol)
That's weird about the yahoo group. It was probably a mistake/misunderstanding, I would just try and join again.

I am also in Seattle, and was disappointed when I found out about the no VBAC in birth centers thing. I am just planning an HBAC.
#18 of 18 Old 05-30-2007, 01:13 PM

good luck!

Allison
doula, mom dd 10/02, dd 6/04, ds 9/06 HBA2C!

Allison, mom to 3, midwife,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page