Castor oil for induction? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-10-2007, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those who have tried it, how bad was it, i.e. how long were you sitting on or near the toilet and was it horrible stomach cramps or exhausting prior to labor? Or was it an easy 1-2-3 and then induced labor?

Also, are there any known side effects?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 05-10-2007, 10:05 AM

I put it into a glass with some root beer, and sat there staring at it, trying not to gag for about 15 minutes.

That was as far as I got, and it was bad enough. I never actually ingested it.

Ooops... sorry that probably isn't helpful. Good luck!
#3 of 17 Old 05-10-2007, 10:08 AM

Castor oil #1 (2nd pregnancy, 41 weeks) - massive diarrhea and cramping for hours, some contractions, that was it.

Castor oil #2 (2nd pregnancy, 41 weeks 4 days)- got it in my mouth and gagged. Couldnt do it again.

Castor oil #3 (3rd pregnancy, 41 weeks 5 days) took it with coke, thought it tasted relatively acceptable. Vomited immediately and violently 6 times. Will never take it again. Either the kid comes out or he doesnt.

Some people say that it can cause the baby to pass and ingest meconium but I dont believe there is any proof of that.
#4 of 17 Old 05-10-2007, 06:07 PM

I took it w/OJ w/my first & I will never again. Mostly b/c it was so gross! I guess maybe it worked, but there was meconium in my waters.

I suggest acupuncture. That is what I did for my 2nd pregnancy to try to induce labor (3 weeks overdue) - very gentle.

Rachel~wife to Keith since 5/01~mother to Georgia since 4/04~Bishop since 1/06~Zoe since 11/07 (my HBA2C!)~EDD 2/14/10 w/Baby surprise #4
#5 of 17 Old 05-11-2007, 07:58 PM

At 42+weeks, after days of on and off strong contractions, I took about 4tbls of it (yes the taste was horrible and there was an urge to gag, but Itook it well mixed into a milky, protien shake so that the texture was similar and that helped. Half an hour later I had a few bursts of the runs. One hour later, strong labor started. Seven hours later my baby was born.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.
#6 of 17 Old 05-11-2007, 10:40 PM

is that your last hope?
I would not take it.
#7 of 17 Old 05-11-2007, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A friend of mine did this and her son had lots of meconium. She thinks the castor oil crossed the placenta.
#8 of 17 Old 05-12-2007, 02:26 AM

I took it with o.j. in the evening and I was on the toilet for an hour or maybe more. I woke up around eight a.m. with contractions. ds had lots of meconium, lungs had to be suctioned, and the docs said he was the poopiest baby in 3 years! personally i would not take it again.

so happy to be alive. . .with one lovely husband , one boy , one girl , and three fish : . : :. peace one day.
#9 of 17 Old 05-28-2007, 08:25 PM

I will be 40 weeks on Thursday and at my last appointment, my midwife suggested I try castor oil since I am already 3cm dilated and 90% effaced.
So, I tried it....2oz on top of some orange juice on an empty stomach, then another 2oz 2 hours later.
It didn't work. It cleaned my system out, and gave me a few hours of irregular contractions. But that's it.
It does work for some, but not everyone.
#10 of 17 Old 05-28-2007, 09:02 PM

It would take an awful lot for me to even consider it. It doesn't make for a pleasant labor experience most of the time.

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#11 of 17 Old 06-07-2007, 05:57 AM

I took it because my water had broken and contractions hadn't started after two days. I spent an entire day on the toilet. Contractions started early the next morning. It was awful. Vomiting, cramps, diarrhea while in labor... I wouldn't do it again.
#12 of 17 Old 06-08-2007, 03:49 PM

Wow, I'm only 36 weeks but getting VERY excited for my VBAC. i thought I would read this thread about caster oil because I never considered it during my first pregnancy. Wow, I'm glad I read this because now I know I will NEVER use this method. When the time comes, I'll figure out some other way to get the baby to come out.
#13 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 01:01 PM

I used it. I took 2 doses several hours apart to hopefully up my widely spaceed but regular contrax. I was hoping for a VBAC but was 11 days late and facing a C-section the next day. After the 2nd dose I started getting much better contrax BUT disgusting, awful diarrhea (almost pure water). My contrax went to every 5 min, then every 3. All were very intense and almost didn't let up. I was in pain even between contrax. I should have known that was bad but I really wanted my VBAC and was stupid to ingore the signs. When my water broke soon after it was bloody but no meconium. I went to the hospital and over the next 12 hours got an epidural, got fully dilated, and then pushed for another 4.5 hours with pitocin trying to get my contrax stronger since they'd died down.

I ended up delivering by C-section 22 hours after going into labor. My pelvic mid-section was too small for even my baby's small head (I was pushing well but he never fully descended).

During the C-section they found the dehiscence (incomplete uterine rupture). Just the peritoneum - the super thin covering enveloping my uterus - kept my son from delivering into my abdomen through a hole about 6 inches in diameter.

I have no idea if the castor oil produced contrax that were too strong, or the pitocin did it, or what.

but I'd never do castor oil again, especially with a VBAC.

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

#14 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 02:28 PM

I thought VBAC mommas were not ever supposed to get pitocin or any similar as that definitely increases rupture??

Not that the castor oil didn't set you (Christine)/me up for some dehydration. .. . which I always wonder, may have contributed to the trip to the OR.

so happy to be alive. . .with one lovely husband , one boy , one girl , and three fish : . : :. peace one day.
#15 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 02:36 PM

I am not a VBAC mom but I have used castor oil twice with good results.

One bowel movement, labor started and baby followed quickly.

No meconium in either birth.

Last time I mix it with fresh OJ drank quickly with a straw. Followed that up with more fresh OJ.

First time i used it I was 3 weeks 'late', second time 2 weeks 'late'
#16 of 17 Old 06-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Fay

I do not recommend castor oil. If your baby passes meconium, your "risk level" will be considered higher, thus increasing your chance of a c-section. The castor oil gave me lots of gas and caused my baby to pass meconium. So with my second baby, I focused on nipple stim, orgasms and evening primrose oil to stimulate labor -- it worked beautifully, and I got the unmedicated VBAC I'd been dreaming of.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#17 of 17 Old 06-10-2007, 02:10 AM

We're not, but i was fully dilated and had pushed for 2 hours with no progress whatsoever. They took a chance, which I agreed to, and went up to 3 before the OB came in. I'd been pushing for 4.5 hours and he examined me and felt my mid-pelvis was too narrow for the baby's head and that was why he wasn't budging despite good pushig. I think perhaps my pushing wasn't as effective b/c of the slow contrax and the dehiscence - which could have caused the slow contrax as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aradia View Post
I thought VBAC mommas were not ever supposed to get pitocin or any similar as that definitely increases rupture??

Not that the castor oil didn't set you (Christine)/me up for some dehydration. .. . which I always wonder, may have contributed to the trip to the OR.

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page