I cancelled my c-section! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 78 Old 06-01-2007, 05:56 PM
g&a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can't wait to hear how it went!! Sending Happy Thoughts your way.
g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#62 of 78 Old 06-01-2007, 06:27 PM

Thinking of you. Wishing for you. Excited for you.

I'm thinking of a vba2c and your choice has been inspiring to me.

Can't wait to hear.

Astoria
#63 of 78 Old 06-02-2007, 12:44 PM

I'm so excited for you!!! I have had 2 sections and would LOVE to hear about your beautiful VBA2Cs!!!! Congrats on being in tune with your body and your baby! s

Ladonna
Mama to Samuel (6) Gabriel (4) and Jacee (just born on 12/15/09 7lbs5oz 20.75 in)
#64 of 78 Old 06-03-2007, 12:48 AM

Is this it?:

Rooting for ya!

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#65 of 78 Old 06-03-2007, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Well ladies, I have a feeling it's not going to work out for me after all. It's been 2 1/2 days since my water broke, and I've basically had nothing to show for it. I'm 41 weeks today by office dates, and 41w5days by my dates.

I'm still having contractions, but they haven't picked up at all in intensity or timing over the last few days.

I have a bad case of the what if's regarding the baby's health, and a bit of a feeling of "I guess it's not meant to be for me." I don't feel comfortable going beyond 72 hrs with ruptured membranes, so I put in a call to the office this morning and will head to the hospital this afternoon for monitoring (sooner if labor starts in earnest).

When I get there, they'll offer me pitocin. I'm taking a wait and see attitude with regards to that option. I figure if the baby's well positioned, I've started to dilate, perhaps I'll try a scoonch and see if it'll do anything. If this one's asynclitic again, and I haven't dilated at all yet, I'll probably refuse the pitocin and just head for the c/s.

Either way, I'm happy I've tried as hard as I have, and it has been nice to feel like I have a little control or input over the whole process.

Your support has been invaluable, truly. I will post back with a birth story soon!
#66 of 78 Old 06-03-2007, 10:15 AM

Are you sure it's a ROM and not a hindwater leak? HL can be really really big but they reseal. NICE clinical guidelines in the UK say 96 hours without labour if ROM has occurred is fine. I wish you much luck with your decision but please just investigate a little further. If you have no temp, you're perfectly fine
http://www.joyousbirth.info/articles/isthataleak.html
#67 of 78 Old 06-03-2007, 10:28 AM

The possible risk of ruptured membranes is infection, and even then, your risk of infection only goes up significantly *24 hours after the first vaginal exam.* In other words, the risk of infection is quite low until you are examined.

I second some of the other comments--you can have a small break in the bag of waters (sometimes just one of the 2 layers). Unless you're constantly gushing fluids every time you move, your bag might not have fully ruptured or might have resealed.

Unless you have signs of infection, or have had a vaginal exam after the waters broke, there is no reason to do anything. Nothing is wrong! If you go to the hospital, you are sure to be offered a vaginal exam--increased risk to you with no benefits. And if you get Pitocin, especially with no signs of infection--increased risk to you as well.
#68 of 78 Old 06-03-2007, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

It's definitely a full-on rupture - I've been gushing for the last two days, a good amount of fluid and my belly has changed shape from round to a prominent butt on the left.

Does anyone have any research saying it's okay to wait? The only stuff I've found has been anecdotal - even many direct-entry midwives have said they transport after 72 hrs with nothing.

Thanks in advance!
#69 of 78 Old 06-03-2007, 01:32 PM

Sorry that you are in this position

Before you consent to pit, you should definitely try nip stim with an electric pump, 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off until you get the contractions going.

Good luck, mama!

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#70 of 78 Old 06-03-2007, 04:56 PM

You are in my thoughts and I really hope that things work out for you.
#71 of 78 Old 06-03-2007, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Drink lots of water and easy vibes your way...
#72 of 78 Old 06-03-2007, 09:17 PM

I posted info on how it's ok to wait. It's in the link above

I can also post natural ways to maintain peak health with a longer ROM to labour time. I had a MASSIVE HWL with my daughter. It was HUGE. A GIANT puddle in the bed. And bright red It resealed, she wasn't born for another 10 days. Full ROM occurred at the end of transition.

http://www.joyousbirth.info/articles...guideline.html
#73 of 78 Old 06-03-2007, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Perhaps it was Janet's story I was reading recently, but I was going to post about a mama who went 10 days after membranes ruptured before a birth - with no problems!

I hope you are doing well. I think the emotional toll of a long labor is the absolute worst of all. I've had two labors that dragged on for about 3 days each, and it's just so draining.

I agree that you may wish to try other things like a breastpump before going to pit. Also, you may want to see a chiropractor, to avoid the risk of an asynclitic position. The chiro made a WORLD of difference in my second labor - she came to me while in early labor. My body was working hard to position the baby well, but not doing enough to dilate and birth. Once I had her work on me for a while (and she did all sorts of things she didn't normally do), the ctxs spaced out to an even pattern that then began again to intensify. This, I later realized, was my ctxs going to a "normal" early labor pattern, and it progressed slowly but surely until he was born about 18 hours later. Perhaps that sort of little nudge is all you need!

Regardless of how it comes about, it is wonderful that you are maintaining control! That really makes a huge difference. Blessings in your labor and birth!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#74 of 78 Old 06-03-2007, 10:06 PM

Hope you are holding your little one right now :

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#75 of 78 Old 06-04-2007, 01:52 PM

I hope baby is here in your arms!
Let us know how everything goes!
#76 of 78 Old 06-04-2007, 03:00 PM

This info reposted from another message...

Protocols for When Your Water Breaks Before Labor

-by Gloria Lemay

1. Drink plenty of fluids. Minimum: 8 glasses, spaced throughout the day. Purified water with lemon squeezed in it is good.

2. Allow nothing in vagina. No fingers, no tampons, no oral-genital contact, no bath water, no swimming pool water, no speculum, no penis, nothing whatsoever!

3. Wear something loose-fitting with no panties.

4. If you are leaking and need something for sitting, use clean towels fresh out of a hot dryer.

5. Take your temperature every 4 hours while you are awake. Normal range is 35.5 to 37.3 Degrees Centigrade or 96 to 99 Degrees Fahrenheit. If it goes above the upper ranges, drink some water, retake it and if your temperature remains up call your medical person. It could be a sign of infection.

6. Take 250mg Vitamin C every 3 hours while you are awake. Oranges, grapefruit, kiwi fruit, red peppers are all good sources.

7. No baths. Shower as much as you like.

8. Eat foods that are unconstipating and easy to digest. Especially avoid foods with MSG or nitrates, such as pizza, Chinese food, or deli meats. These foods can make you vomit in the birth process.

9. Be meticulous about toileting. Wipe from front to back, and wash hands carefully after.

l0. If the water is colored green or brown (meconium), or if it has a bad smell (sign of infection), let your medical person know.

If you want to know your baby is doing well, check the baby’s heart rate- have someone put his or her ear against your lower belly or listen through a toilet paper roll. The fetal heart rate should be 140-160 beats a minute. And to monitor the fetal movements in a day, start at 9 a.m. and count each time the baby kicks until 3 p.m. There should be l0 distinct movements (the Cardiff fetal movement test). Contact your medical person if you get less than 10 movements, or if you’re having problems assessing the fetal heart rate.

Question to Gloria: "How long can I go after my waters have broken before birth?"

"There is always more fluid being released to replace the amniotic waters. I once had a client with released membranes and water gushing out for 6 weeks. She gave birth on her due date to a healthy 7 1/2 pound girl. If the temperature of the Mom is normal, there is no reason to treat the mother/baby any differently than if the membranes are intact. The woman usually wants to drink extra fluids."

Mary's Expectant Management of SROM

"How do I 'manage' SROM [spontaneous rupture of the membranes- waters breaking] prelabour at term at home? If expectant ["wait and see"] management is chosen by the mother, I do NOTHING, no vaginal exams, and await events asking the woman to monitor her Temperature AND PULSE. I am perhaps a little obsessive about maternal pulses, but in my experience a rising pulse rate can often precede a rise in temp. If no signs of labour after 24 hours I would do a full blood count and C reactive protein and repeat this every 2 days. I would advise avoiding penetrative sex, and suggest showering rather than bathing.

"I have a current client whose membranes ruptured spontaneously with a twin pregnancy at 28 weeks, she with truly amazing strength and fortitude coped with leaking liquor [water] until labour started spontaneously at 35 weeks." -Mary Cronk (British midwife)

Also, see these amazing slides of a VBA3C with released membranes for 10 days:
http://www.onetruemedia.com/otm_site...f0f66accb8afce
<http://www.onetruemedia.com/otm_site/view_shared?p=2a4e81fbf0f66accb8afce>
#77 of 78 Old 06-06-2007, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Update -- see new thread "We Did It!"

hee, hee, I still can't believe it!
Alexandra
#78 of 78 Old 06-08-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanTplus3 View Post
Update -- see new thread "We Did It!"

hee, hee, I still can't believe it!
Alexandra
Very inspirational thread and story!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page