Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: :
Old 10-12-2005, 03:34 AM

One item in my birth plan that I found EXTREMELY HELPFUL was the heprin lock in my forearem and not in my hand or wrist. To apease the hospital staff I agreed to have a heprin lock in case of emergency, however Its hard not to pull on or even think about that rediculous Heprin lock when its in the back of your hand and its hard to bend your wrist, so anyways I was able to labor in the tub as well as in many different positions and I completely forgot about the lock.
They had to find a nurse that had enough experience doing a lock in the forearm( not the underside but just between my wrist and elbow on the top) but the nurse they found did a great job and after I explained why I wanted it they understood.

Im glad that I had that written down. During labor it is imposible to remember all that you want done and its nice to refer to your plan for reminders. Its also nice for your birth attendents as well.

By the way my husband had to yell at and request a new nurse when one tried those rediculous scare tactics whith the constant fetal monitoring. SHe told me that "for the safety of my baby". Anyways my husband made her cry and we went home. WHen we came back we had a doll of a nurse!
Old 10-12-2005, 03:40 AM

Anouther thing I just remembered was that I took my birth plan to my OB, head nurse of labor and delivery, my babies doctor and gave them all copies after I had all of their signatures on the plan at least a month before labor in case I went early. My husband and I signed it as well.
That way they had a reminder that they were all cool with it before labor and that they should honor their decision to support me.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:13 AM

: :
Old 10-20-2005, 08:37 PM

BIRTH PLAN FOR HELENA & SCOTT STACEY
EDD: DECEMBER 20, 2003

We realize that every birth experience is different. In our desire to have the most memorable and happiest birth possible, we have listed our preferences below. These decisions have been made after much research and thought. Therefore, your help in attaining these goals is very much appreciated. You can be assured that in the unlikely event of complications, our full cooperation will be rendered after an informed discussion with our doctor has taken place and adequate time for private consideration has been given to us.

Induction/Augmentation
•I would prefer to allow labor to begin spontaneously and without augmentation once it has started.
•I do not want an amniotomy. I would like my membranes to rupture on their own.
•If AROM becomes medically necessary (labor has significantly stalled), I would prefer that it not be performed until labor is well-established (greater than 4 cm. dilated).
•In the event that the baby is posterior, I would like to avoid AROM until baby has rotated to anterior.
•I do not want induction by means of Pitocin or any other synthetic hormone to be administered.
•If Pitocin becomes medically necessary, I would like the lowest dosage possible and do not want it increased at routine intervals. I would also prefer to have it turned off once labor is established.
•I do not want any gels applied to my cervix and will not consent at any time to use of Cytotec.

Monitoring and Exams
•I would like to be able to move around freely during labor so I would like to have only intermittent fetal monitoring. If intermittent fetal monitoring is not an option, I would like the use of a portable telemetry monitor so that I may remain mobile.
•I do not want internal fetal monitoring.
•To reduce chance of infection, I would like vaginal exams to be kept to a bare minimum especially once my membranes have ruptured.
•I would prefer the use of a heparin or saline lock, rather than an IV. I would like to be allowed to drink fluids while I labor.

Labor
•I would like to be allowed to move freely during labor (walk, rock, use birthing ball, etc.) and assume whatever position I feel most comfortable.
•I would prefer that no time limits be placed on labor so long as Mom and baby are doing well.
•I do not want non-essential hospital staff in my room at any time during labor and delivery and do not consent to being treated by any medical students or residents.

Pain Management
•I will be having my husband and a doula assist me during labor with pain management. Please do not ask if I want pain medication. I will request it if needed.
•I would like access to a shower or tub for pain management.
•If I elect to receive an epidural, my goal is to wait until I am at least 5 cm. dilated and the baby’s head is engaged in the pelvis. I would like support and understanding in trying to reach this goal.

Delivery
•I do not want time limits imposed so long as Mom and baby are doing well.
•I would like to assume different birthing positions if I am physically able (on hands and knees, squatting, side-lying).
•I would like to avoid an episiotomy. If I am to suffer a small tear (1st or 2nd degree), I would prefer to tear rather than be cut.
•I request that warm compresses [and counter pressure] be applied to my perineum at the time of crowning to minimize tearing.
•If I elect to receive an epidural, I would like it turned down during delivery so that I can feel the urge to push.
•I would like to use of a mirror so I may watch the delivery.
•I do not want a uterine examination after birth unless medically indicated (excessive blood loss, HBP, fever).
•I would like to deliver the placenta naturally allowing the full 5 or 10 minutes for expulsion without any medication or physical assistance, specifically no pulling or holding taught on the umbilical cord. I do not want a routine injection of pitocin after the delivery to aid in expelling the placenta.
•I would like the baby to be placed on my abdomen or chest (cord permitting) immediately after birth and cleaned and suctioned while I hold him or her.

Baby
•All procedures on our baby should be done where my husband and I can see and if necessary to remove the baby from the room, I would like my husband to be present.
•I will be exclusively breastfeeding. Please no supplementary bottles.

If a Cesarean Becomes Necessary
•I would like my husband to be present during prep and anesthesia.
•Unless absolutely necessary for the safety of the baby, I want a low transverse incision to be done and preferably along the same scar as my first.
•I would like to screen to be lowered and the baby shown to me before he/she is taken to the warmer to be cleaned.
•I would prefer that my arms not be restrained or at least freed after baby is born in order to hold him/her with assistance from my husband.
•I would like the surgeon to note any scar tissue or damage from my previous cesarean.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:43 PM

I just finished mine, after a few re-writes with my doula. It was much longer, but we felt it was important to be able to give them one page (front and back). We're having a hospital birth, although I wish we were having a homebirth. I've omitted the identifying info. Also, it doesn't contain any requests about breastfeeding or rooming in, because that's pretty standard at our hospital (as is early discharge after birth). It's a cut and paste, so I apologize if the formatting is wonky!

This will be a VBAC. I look forward to working with nurses and doctors who truly believe in VBAC, and who will help us to achieve the most natural birth possible for our baby. We strongly wish that any medical procedures be discussed with us in advance so that we can make informed decisions. We thank you in advance for your support and wisdom. (my doula suggested adding this...sucking up never hurts, I guess!)

IMPORTANT NOTE: I am a survivor of a sexual assault, and experienced flashbacks during my daughter’s birth that may have contributed to my labour stalling. Privacy and feeling safe and in control will be VERY important to me during this birth. I thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Present for the labour and birth: I request that as few people as possible be in the room at any given time during labour and the birth. I do NOT wish any students to be involved in the labour and birth.

Environment: We will be using a variety of natural relaxation and pain management techniques, including hypnosis. To assist us in this process, I require that my environment has dimmed lights and that voices are respectfully lowered at all times. Please do not ask me a question during a contraction. Please knock lightly on the door before entering.

Labour: I prefer to allow labor to begin spontaneously and to progress without augmentation once it has started. I would like labour to be allowed to proceed at its natural pace, no time restrictions placed on any stage.

I do not want induction or augmentation by means of Pitocin or any other synthetic hormone. I will not consent at any time to the use of Cytotec.

I prefer that my membranes rupture on their own. In the event that the baby is posterior, I would definitely like to avoid AROM until baby has rotated to anterior.

Since mobility is extremely important to me, I request intermittent monitoring using a Doppler. I request that the number of internal exams be kept to a minimum.

Pain management:
PLEASE DON’T OFFER ME PAIN MEDICATIONS OR SUGGEST THAT I NEED THEM, including an epidural. In particular, I do not want to use narcotics. If I feel I need medication to deal with pain, I will ask for nitronox.

In addition to hypnosis, we will use the following as tools: breathing/relaxation, music, use of the shower/tub, walking, birthing ball, massage, and position changes.

Second Stage:
I request quiet coaching during the second stage. No loud cheerleading or counting, please.

As long as it is clear that my baby's heart tones are good and that s/he is receiving sufficient oxygen, I would like to be free of time limits on pushing.

I wish to avoid an episiotomy, and would prefer to tear naturally if it seems unavoidable. I request care of the perineum to prevent or minimize tearing, to include the use of warm compresses and controlled pushing.

Andrew does not want to cut the cord, but we ask that he be the one to announce the sex of the baby.

We ask that the cord not be cut until it stops pulsating.

Third Stage: I wish to receive a local anesthetic for perineal suturing if necessary.

Postpartum: I wish to have the baby placed on my abdomen immediately following birth.

Please postpone Vitamin K and eye medication until after the initial hour of quiet alertness and parental bonding is established.

I’d like to breastfeed as soon as baby is ready.

Cesarean Delivery: I REQUEST A SECOND OPINION BEFORE CONSENTING TO A C-SECTION.

I prefer anesthesia by epidural/spinal ONLY, with a general to be used only in the most dire of emergencies.

I do not wish to be given any medication via IV or epidural that will alter the baby’s or my alertness. This includes the use of any medication typically given to ‘help the mother rest’ after surgery.

My husband and doula are to be present during surgery.

Please remove my IV and catheter as soon as possible following my baby’s birth.

Please provide me with nutritious food and drink as soon as possible.

If the baby must be taken to the special care nursery, Andrew will accompany him/her.

I’d like skin-to-skin contact and breastfeeding to take place as soon as possible.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:53 AM

These are all so, so great! Thanks to all for sharing. You're really inspiring me to get on the ball and start writing (or at least really, really thinking about it seriously)!
Old 01-08-2006, 09:59 AM

Wow, these birth plans are so great to read! So many details I would never have thought to mention and certainly would have forgotten in the moment. I wasn't even really planning to write one, but now I think I should start cutting and pasting like mad.

But I must say, I was always given the impression (by my previous doula, midwife, birth class instructor, etc.) that providers don't really care about birth plans and may or may not respect them, and that detailed birth plans even annoy them to a point that might make things more difficult for you. In Stafl's birth plan she mentioned requesting that staff not chit-chat before or after a c-section (if a c-section were to happen) and while I WISH I had thought to request something like that during my son's birth (nothing made me feel more invisible and like less of a person than having the staff talk about their recent vacations while I was strapped to the table crying my eyes out!) it seems like a request like that would surely annoy them, like, "Who does this woman think she is, telling us what we are or are not allowed to talk about while we're working?!?"

Have you folks had good experiences with having your birth plans honored? Do you have recommendations for wording or item limits or anything that might help a birth plan go down more smoothly? Have I been completely misinformed about how birth plans are received by providers???
Old 01-11-2006, 11:19 PM

When I went in for the twins, the nurses immediately asked me if I had a plan they could look over. I took that as a good sign. I had discussed it with my OB ahead of time, and she signed it, so I knew before I went in what would be do-able.

This time, my doula suggests a very brief first page with the most important elements on it, phrased very briefly. She's also going to make a couple of signs for the door (like dark, quiet and cool, please!)

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Old 01-14-2006, 04:13 AM

Here is what we wrote up for our vbac in Dec 2002...based largely on what we "knew" to expect from the hospital policies.

The information contained in our Birth Preferences includes our desires and wishes for how we would like to see the birth of our child proceed. We understand that there is no way to “plan” his birth and that unexpected circumstances can arise. We ask that in such circumstances we be included in the discussion of the potential risks, benefits and the necessity of the procedure/intervention being proposed. We request the opportunity to have private time to consider such changes to our preferences.

FIRST STAGE LABOR

•Husband (Brian) and doula (Gina xxxx/or back up) present at all times
•Use of telemetry unit during active labor if monitoring is need.
•Room preference is a birthing room equipped with a tub/shower, a birthing bar, and a birth ball.
•Bring and utilize comfort measures such as music, hypnotherapy tapes, etc.
•Vaginal exams only upon mother’s consent, as few and as gentle as possible to avoid premature rupture of water membranes.
•Request that birthing room be dimly lit, no excess hospital staff, door to room kept closed, and privacy when requested.
•Freedom to move and walk around during labor.
•Use of tub or shower as desired.
•Liberty to consume clear juice/liquids, popsicles, ice chips, hard candy, etc.
•No augmentation of labor via artificial rupture of membranes or use of Pitocin without discussion and consent of mother.
•Please do not offer any pain medication.

SECOND STAGE OF LABOR

•Choice of positions for birthing.
•Room to remain dimly lit during delivery and bonding.
•Freedom to touch baby during delivery.
•Mother directed instinctive pushing rather than coach directed.
•Request that crowning stage be taken slowly with freedom to use compresses rather than episiotomy.
•Request that father assist in “catching” the baby.
•After suctioning, baby to be placed immediately on mother’s abdomen, skin to skin contact.
•Father to cut the cord when pulsating of the cord has stopped.
•Local anesthesia should there be tearing in need of repair.
•Private time for family bonding after delivery.

AFTER BIRTH

•Please perform all physical exams and weighing in room with parents present.
•Baby to be fed via formula/bottle feeding.
•Request that routine procedures and exams be delayed until after bonding time (appx. 1 hr).
•Bathing to occur in room in presence of parents.
•No pacifiers.
•If warming required, place baby on mother’s chest with blankets.
•In case of life threatening complications for baby or mother, request that Chaplin be called.

BIRTH PREFERENCES IF CESAREAN IS NECESSARY

DELIVERY

•Discuss medical reasons for cesarean.
•Husband and doula allowed in OR at all times including surgical prep.
•Doctor to narrate procedure and hold up baby for viewing after delivery.
•Photography by doula.
•Use of spinal instead of general anesthesia.

AFTER BIRTH

•Father to hold baby after birth, and place against mother’s cheek.
•Mother to have a minimum of one hand free/unstrapped following delivery in order to touch baby.
•Baby’s health to be judged on own merit. No special nursery care unless necessary and parents allowed to participate in decision-making process.
•Baby to room in with mother. No nursery visits unless requested.
•Please perform all physical exams and weighing in room with mother and father present.
•Request that routine procedures and exams be delayed until after bonding time (appx 1 hr).
•Bathing to occur in room in presence of mother.
•No pacifiers.
•In case of life threatening complications for baby or mother, request that Chaplin be called.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:16 PM

Hey, Cynthia, come visit us on the March due dates forum!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06

User Tag List