she's BREECH GRRRRRR!!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2007, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestrymom View Post
I'm only 26 weeks, but close enough that this baby's breech presentation is starting to annoy me, if anything. My midwife told me the hospital where we will be giving birth won't allow vaginal birth of breech in a vbac situation...what can be done? Can I refuse? I live in Montana, if that helps. And, I'm not comfortable delivering at home (would have to be UC at home).
At 26 weeks you do have LOADS of time for that baby to turn, I know you know that but said it anyway. I understand your stress!

What I don't get is why they think vbac and breech somehow compound each other. They don't. They have nothing to do with each other, they are completely separate "risks". So why, if they would normally catch a breech, they would refuse just because it's a vbac? That makes no sense.

If you're up to it, I would recommend that you ask for your MW to show you the peer-reviewed research that the policy is based on. I would be absolutely stunned if she comes up with a study, ANY study, that shows some kind of link between breech and UR, or a link between previous c/s and head entrapment of a breech baby. And if there is no such study, then there is no basis whatsoever for the policy, and I would use that as a pretty irrufutable grounds to refuse c/s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

turn baby turn!!!!

what are some things i can do while stuck in bed to get her to turn?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's_Mommy View Post
turn baby turn!!!!

what are some things i can do while stuck in bed to get her to turn?
how much movement are you permitted? Do you have any limitations on position?

1st thing to do is get your hips up in the air, either on your back with several pillows under your hips, or on your chest with your bum up in the air (sort-of child's pose).

Meditate and talk to the baby; visualise shim turning head down and a smooth peaceful birth.

play music on earphones near your pubic bone or shine a light through your skin starting where he/r eyes are and moving it slowly down to where you want he/r head to be - many babies are curious about the sound or light and try to get closer to it.

massage your belly gently in the direction you want the baby to turn. They usually will do a forwards somersault more easily than a backflip.

send your baby a lot of love and reassurance. s/he may just feel better with an ear closer to your heart, and need to know it's safe to go the other way. My breech babe still loves to put her head on my heart, something my vertex baby had no particular tendency to do.

There's the frozen peas thing... you put a bag of frozen veggies against the back of the baby's head. but I didn't do that I thought it a bit mean. But it often works.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

im pretty limited in movement i cant put any weight on my left foot.....i will keep my hips proped up as much as i can stand, and hunt down a flashlight!

she still does flips all day but settles in a breech position....i just hope that changes before she gets stuck that way!
Old 06-23-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinna View Post
There's the frozen peas thing... you put a bag of frozen veggies against the back of the baby's head. but I didn't do that I thought it a bit mean. But it often works.
Please don´t do it.....I did, it didn´t work and I feel like the world´s worst mother for doing it! I mean, I wouldn´t hold a cold object on DD´s head now - WTH was I thinking! I´ve apologised so many times.....
Old 06-23-2007, 03:18 PM

oh jeez, a bag of cold peas through a belly, and uterus on a fetuses head is NOT torture.... nothing to beat yourself up about mama.

Erika. have you tried a slant board? some accupuncture? moxibuxtion(sp?)

you CAN have your baby breech. yes you can mama! just dont rush right into the hospital at the first sign of labor.
labor at home till you get pushy, then head in.
you will do beautifully

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 06-23-2007, 10:05 PM

Try anything, try visualizing your baby turning when you are laying down trying to go to sleep at night. This worked for me (I'm 34 weeks), he's no longer standing on top of my bladder! :

Here is a website that I checked, they have a lot of suggestions if you haven't seen it already: http://gentlebirth.org/archives/breech.html#Chest

BTW, in the book I bought "Emergency Childbirth" by Dr White, they discuss breech birth, and funny how they don't teach that anymore, much easier (and can bill insurance more money) to do a c section than be skilled in breech births. Plus they are afraid of malpractice...never mind c sections seem pretty risky to mom and baby! :

Good luck! I hope your baby turns for you! I'm sending good vibes right now!

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
Old 06-24-2007, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMama View Post

you CAN have your baby breech. yes you can mama! just dont rush right into the hospital at the first sign of labor.
labor at home till you get pushy, then head in.
you will do beautifully
i'm being induced early for a medical reason (mine not baby's) so thats not an option....but if i do go into labor first i will be staying at home until the pain becomes too much to handle or i feel pushy (whichever comes first!)
Old 06-24-2007, 02:10 AM

cholestasis or toxemia? i didnt know you were ill

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 06-24-2007, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

its something i had before pregnancy....a problem with my bladder....which is very painful right about now!!

3 more weeks!

User Tag List