We Did It!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 06-06-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's right, you read it right!! We had the most amazing experience ever; I will try to recreate it as best I can, though some details are fuzzy! This will be long, but hopefully good!

We arrived at the hospital at 6 pm Sunday night, met our doula in the lobby and headed on up. They checked me in, got us settled in the room with telemetry monitoring and the birth tub, and sent the CNM on call in to check me. She set us up with twenty minutes of monitoring first to check on the babe and the contractions, and then checked my cervix (while "irritating the hell out of it" -her words). I was 1-2 cm dilated, 50% effaced, and was having contractions about every 6-9 minutes. She sent me off to walk the halls while she consulted with the other staff members. My contractions picked up a bit, so I was pretty excited, and then she came in to chat at about 9pm about our plan.

The plan was to stay the night, see if the contractions intensified into active labor, and until then I would need monitoring for 20 minutes every hour and a half. I agreed, and we settled in to try to get some sleep. During the night, the contractions basically died down into nothing, which of course I found very discouraging.

So, 7 or 8 Monday morning, CNM comes in to talk about that day's plans. She mentions pitocin, but says I don't have to have it right away because that day's OB has not put a time limit on my ruptured membrane status (which by their clock is 30 hrs already, but in reality is 58 plus). I mention that I'd like to try nipple stim first, and they agreed that was a good plan. So, in no particular order, we try nipple stim, knee chest position because I felt that the baby was no longer well engaged due to all the lying back I had to do for the monitoring, we belly-banded me (like a rebozo scarf only we used a sheet), they sent my husband and me to the shower to make out and release natural oxytocin (which felt a bit like a conjugal visit), walked the halls, tried homeopathic remedies, etc... you name it, we tried it. I got contractions back to 9 minutes, but nothing better.

I decided at that point that my personal time limit would be 2 pm that afternoon to start a little pitocin, and see if that was all we needed to get things moving. I really felt like we had exhausted all of our options, and I thought if we started the pitocin much later, I'd be completely exhausted for the labor. I did ask to be checked first to see if there had been any progress, and also to see if the head had moved around or tilted at all. One of my conditions for pitocin to be effective was that the baby be well positioned, otherwise I really felt like it would be useless.
I was found to be at 2-3 cm, 60% effaced, and was stretched to 3 cm. And the head did appear to be well applied. So, pitocin was started pretty much right at 2 pm.

Contractions picked up almost instantly, and by 3 pm I was on the telemetry monitors and walking around. I was no longer comfortable walking by 3:30, and was having a fair amount of pain. Contractions started getting incredibly painful by 4:30, and the next hour was like being strapped to a medieval rack. I tried lots of different positions, and (ironically) found leaning against my IV pole while gripping it was actually the most effective (husband and doula rubbing back, squeezing hips, etc).

I asked to be checked because I desperately needed to know if I had progressed, and the CNM came in at 5:45 and stated that I was at 4 cm. I was terribly disappointed and wanted to can it at that point. My CNM was headed in to assist at a c-section at 6 pm, and I so wanted to be that mama, who was preparing for a spinal! But, the nurses and CNM agreed that my contractions were too strong, and backed off the pitocin, and I asked to try laboring in the birth tub to see if that would take the edge off. Between the two things, I got enough relief to make it through the next hour, or at least they were more manageable.

At 7 pm, I was checked again, and found to be... 7-8 cm! Yikes. I asked for an epidural, and then after the next contraction, rescinded and headed back to the tub. One more hour in the tub, and I was feeling pushy.

Now, I should mention that all this time, there have been concerns about late decelerations. At one point, I was wishing there were, so I would have a reason to give in. At the end of my tub time, they were having such a hard time getting the heartbeat that they decided an internal monitor would be best, so that was put in as I got out.

Things looked pretty good as I started pushing, but as the head descended, the heartrate variables got larger and larger, and everyone was calm, but concerned. I tried pushing from a side-lying position, which was better for a while, and then we needed a little oxygen between contractions. Then, the OB came in told me that we needed to try directed pushing because it was getting a little hairy with the baby's heartrate and we needed to speed up the process as much as possible. It turned out that as they finally could see the head, they could also see a prolapsed cord coming with it, wrapped around her shoulders.

So, now I had a sports event with 4 nurses, a pediatrician, the CNM, and the OB, my husband and the doula. Did I care? Did I open my eyes? I don't think so.

I pushed my heart out, burst every blood vessel from my boobs on up, and with the help of a vacuum for the last two pushes, delivered a meconium covered somewhat floppy beautiful baby girl at 9:38 pm. Her apgars were 6 and 9, she recovered beautifully, and was in my arms a few minutes later. She was 8 lbs, 7 oz, 20 inches long. I had two superficial tears with two stitches, and was otherwise none the worse for wear unless you considered my speckled face and body, two black eyes, and completely bloodshot eyes!!

After she arrived and I had the ability to check out the monitor strip, I could see the concern. Her heartrate dipped into the 60's and 70's with every push, and then it started rebounding into the 190's. Considering the circumstances, the staff was incredibly calm and reassuring, and never made me feel like there was actually something wrong.

I absolutely cannot believe she is here, and that we were successful, and I can't say enough about the staff of my wonderful hospital. Every single nurse, midwife, and OB that was on during my stay came in to congratulate me and say that they were rooting for me all the time. The CNM's all whispered that the OB's let things slide that they really shouldn't have in terms of hospital policy, and that this really wouldn't have happened in any of our other local hospitals (which I firmly believe).

I totally caved during the first hour in the tub, and asked for a c-section and for all the pain to end, and I don't know who said it to me, but this got me through - "You are doing what is absolutely normal for your body to do. Nobody here is thinking of you as a VBAC mom, you're just a normal laboring mother. Nobody's worried about your baby, nobody's worried about your scar, and you CAN do this."

It was absolutely the hardest thing I've ever done, and certainly the most painful, and absolutely 100% worth it and not even a faint comparison to the births of my other children. I will say that I was kind of hoping that childbirth pain was a little overexagerated, but maybe pitocin and ruptured membranes made it a little worse - who knows, and really, who cares!!

I am on cloud 9 about the whole thing, and I owe a lot to the support of everyone here, and in my real life.

Thank you all for checking in on me, and I'm so happy to write a happy story!

Alexandra
#2 of 37 Old 06-06-2007, 03:32 PM

Good for you! Congrats on a great experience!
#3 of 37 Old 06-06-2007, 03:37 PM

Congradulations momma!!!!!!!!!!!

mother to E-(8).... A-(6) .... & N-(5)
Vivian Claire born 3-11-10.... ...still an , extendedmomma :
#4 of 37 Old 06-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Fabulous - well done you!
#5 of 37 Old 06-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanTplus3 View Post
"You are doing what is absolutely normal for your body to do. Nobody here is thinking of you as a VBAC mom, you're just a normal laboring mother. Nobody's worried about your baby, nobody's worried about your scar, and you CAN do this."
:

Congratulations, mama! You definitely beat the odds! Pit absolutely causes harder, stronger contractions. Enjoy your babymoon!
#6 of 37 Old 06-06-2007, 04:28 PM

I was so glad to see this happy news!
Congrats!
And of course : to your little one!
#7 of 37 Old 06-06-2007, 04:42 PM

Oh Congratulations! : :

I was just looking at the cancelled your c-section thread and scrolling quickly through for an update and I am so excited for your birth! Congrats!
#8 of 37 Old 06-06-2007, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Well begun is half done. Congratulations on a wonderful beginning.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#9 of 37 Old 06-06-2007, 05:22 PM

congrats!
#10 of 37 Old 06-06-2007, 05:36 PM

Congratulations!!!

You are one strong mama! You even ADMIT to asking for an epidural and c-section (as I think probably most mama's do in some weak moment), and yet you persevered through it! Good for you!

Maybe I just didn't notice... what did you name her?

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#11 of 37 Old 06-06-2007, 05:44 PM

Hooorrraaayy!!
Congratulations!
Revel in that triumphant feeling, you deserve it!
#12 of 37 Old 06-06-2007, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Woohoo!! Congatulations, mama!! I am so thrilled for you! I totally know what you mean when you say, "It was absolutely the hardest thing I've ever done, and certainly the most painful, and absolutely 100% worth it and not even a faint comparison to the births of my other children." I've had one c/s and one VBAC (another due in Oct!) and it's awfully hard, but I would never do it another way! What a wonderful accomplishment you've made!

Enjoy your babymoon, and thank you so much for sharing your story!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#13 of 37 Old 06-06-2007, 09:51 PM

I am pretty new here but I've been reading along. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
#14 of 37 Old 06-06-2007, 11:19 PM

Oh fabulous news. Congratualtions on your little girl and you Birthing Goddess. Happy babymoon!
#15 of 37 Old 06-07-2007, 01:08 AM

Wonderful!!!!

Congratulations and enjoy your baby girl!
#16 of 37 Old 06-07-2007, 02:37 AM

Yay! That gave me chills! Good for you for following your intuition!

And congratulations!!!

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#17 of 37 Old 06-07-2007, 02:41 AM

How fantastic, Alexandra! VBACs are just such a triumph! Congratulations and welcome to the world, baby!

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#18 of 37 Old 06-07-2007, 03:22 AM

Congratulations to you! Welcome earthside baby woman How hard your mama worked for you!
#19 of 37 Old 06-07-2007, 04:37 AM

I was following your story on the other thread and I am so happy for you that things worked out.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#20 of 37 Old 06-07-2007, 05:26 AM

Congratulations! Way to go!

, , , and
#21 of 37 Old 06-07-2007, 08:26 AM

YAY! Good for you! I knew you could do it!
I am so glad there are more mamas doing VBACs after multiple C/S!
You must be walking on air! I remember the elation I felt after my VBA2C!
#22 of 37 Old 06-07-2007, 11:01 AM

It sounds like you had great support! I hope my experience is like that in a few weeks
#23 of 37 Old 06-07-2007, 03:03 PM

I've been following your story and I have to say Congratulations! I got goosebumps from reading your amazing news!
#24 of 37 Old 06-07-2007, 08:25 PM

What an awesome and surreal experience! You're story is just the kind I need to hear right now.
#25 of 37 Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 PM

OH CONGRATS! I was following your other thread, so glad it all worked out, happy babymooning!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#26 of 37 Old 06-08-2007, 09:14 PM

You are an inspiration to all of us vbac moms....I love these positive hospital births......I am havig a hoispital birth and it makes me see that not everyone at a hospital is out to prevent you from having the birth of your dreams...

thanks for sharing!

Miriam
#27 of 37 Old 06-09-2007, 05:31 PM

I'm tearing up reading your story! I started with the other thread, then scanned down to see what the results were. I had a UBA2C 6 years ago, best thing I've ever done! Congratulations!!!

Kiley
#28 of 37 Old 06-09-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanTplus3 View Post
That's right, you read it right!! We had the most amazing experience ever; I will try to recreate it as best I can, though some details are fuzzy! This will be long, but hopefully good!

Alexandra
Wow, what wonderful hospital staff to work with you and your baby. It's not at all like my hospital experiences, and very exciting to read. I'm sure you had a positive impact on them all as well, smoothing the way for future VBACs. How marvelous!

Kiley
#29 of 37 Old 06-10-2007, 12:05 PM

WTG Momma!

Crunchy, pagan, vegan,homeschooling wife and mother of 3 beautiful daughters and 2 wonderful sons

#30 of 37 Old 06-10-2007, 11:54 PM

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page