Epidural and Vbac? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-10-2003, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone considered an epidural while vbac-ing? I want a natural birth but honestly am scared after my last experimence. I was heavily induced which I have heard makes the contrations harder not to mention I was bed-ridden from the beginning of my 27 hour hospital labor. I just hope to go into labor naturally at home and labor there for most of it this time. Obviously, I won't be induced- again but just wondering if anyone had ever had an epidural during a vbac?
#2 of 3 Old 07-28-2003, 04:51 PM

Yes, I had one & it went very well. I know it is not a popular option here at MDC, but in my situation it was necessary & very helpful. I had a successful vbac & a healthy daughter. Best wishes to you...

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#3 of 3 Old 07-29-2003, 04:53 PM

I am seriously considering this option as well. I flat out will refuse pitocin or (heaven forbid) Cytotech or any "chemical" induction methods, but I am giving some deep thought to the epidural, at least towards the end.

With my c/sec, I didn't find my labor stalling at all once given an epidural. I had labored long and hard naturally, and I was getting "stuck" at around 5 cm. I was exhausted and in my case, sick as a dog as well, so the epidural allowed me to rest and I quickly dilated the rest of the way.

I'm not saying I will, and I'm not saying I won't. How's that for helpful? But if there was one thing I learned from my first birth experience, it's that labor is not something you can control, you really have to flow with it. If I find myself too exhausted, or fighting my body too much, I will take the epidural. Quite frankly, my priority is to have a vaginal birth first and foremost. Intervention-free would be icing on the cake!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page