New and Overdue**GRAPHIC UPDATE, STILLBORN** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2007, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is my situation. I will be 42 weeks on Wednesday. I am ok with going past and waiting for baby to come until 43 weeks. I carried my first baby until 42 weeks and well, I agreed to a induction because my OB told me that she was in danger, blah blah blah and I fell for it. I can't have a midwife, so I am stuck with my OB. He is pushing for a repeat c/s. Is it ok to go past 42 weeks? I am just torn because everyone says my baby could die. I am just looking for encouragement I guess. I want to know other people have gone past 42w and they both lived to tell about it. I KNOW I can do this, I am just under so much pressure. Any suggestions about getting labor to start? I am doing EPO, RRTL, and a few other things. I sit on my birthing ball. I am not really comfortable with castor oil or cohosh because I don't know how to use the properly (if there is a way). Thanks for helping out the newbie!

********************UPDATE
I just wanted that I had the baby on October 19 2007, at 8:13 pm by elective c/s. Unfortunately he was already passed away. My son was sleeping with the angels. I would have never dreamed in a million years this could happen to me. My OB thinks he was only 40 weeks going by what they found when he was examined. He is being cremated today. I do not think it was anything related for me trying to VBAC. It was just meant to be. I went in for my apt on Friday and there was no heartbeat. My OB ordered tons of test for me and the placenta. Hopefully I will know more one day.

RIP Dominic Manuel Ortiz Born 10/19/07 8:13 PM 8lbs 10 ozs 19 inches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2007, 12:50 PM

I am so sorry for your loss, you and your family are in my prayers.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! I am on my way to read the link!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:33 PM

Why not suggest to your doc that you'll have a non-stress test every 2 or so days until you go into labor? That way if there is anything unreassuring you'll know about it. This will probably be good for your own peace of mind too. As long as everything looks good there's no reason not to wait, but some babies for some reason don't come out on their own (positioning or whatever). Better to have a repeat c/s and a healthy baby in that case.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Old 10-17-2007, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How do you feel? Do you think there is cause for alarm with your baby? What are your instincts saying to you? I have an idea how you are leaning based on your post gathering more info.

If you feel like all is well, turn the ringer off your phone, stay home and GIP (gestate in peace).

If you feel something is not quite right, ask for a nonstress test, but be prepared for them to push for a c/s while you are there. Bring someone to support you!

I birthed my second VBAC baby at home at 42 weeks, 3 days. You will be holding your baby soon!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

I feel good about my decisions. My OB is not really wanting to budge. I have a feeling he might drop me when I go in to my apt on Friday. Thanks for the responses! I do want to wait maybe another week. I don't think I came this far to give in now if nothing is wrong with the baby or me. My last baby was posterior, one of the causes of my c/s. This one is LOA. I know he is in a very good position and I can't imagine why I haven't gone into labor yet. Thanks again!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 AM

Welcome! Glad to have you here, its a great community!

I just wanted to offer support. what a rotten position for your ob to put you in. If there was some indication of the baby needing to come earthside then I would understand but this.... The NST suggestion might work. I dont think an OB can legally drop you this late in the game but someone correct me if Im wrong.

Nipple stimmulation worked for me to get labor going but this was after my waters had broken so I knew baby was ready to come that day so I dont know if it will work to start labor but its worth a try! It has to be pretty consistent to keep the contrax coming though.

I wish you the very best and keep us posted!!
Angela
Old 10-17-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljortiz22 View Post
I feel good about my decisions. My OB is not really wanting to budge. I have a feeling he might drop me when I go in to my apt on Friday. Thanks for the responses! I do want to wait maybe another week. I don't think I came this far to give in now if nothing is wrong with the baby or me. My last baby was posterior, one of the causes of my c/s. This one is LOA. I know he is in a very good position and I can't imagine why I haven't gone into labor yet. Thanks again!
He CAN NOT drop you.
An Ob can not drop you within 30 days of your due date. He is legally required to care for you.
Let him KNOW that you know the law. He would be in for a hearing in front of a medical board if he dropped a patient at 42 weeks. Period.
The ONLY way he can "drop" you is if he personally arranges care for you by someone else - who has agreed to take you and will be provideing care for you. He can NOT just give you a list and say "here, go find someone else"

CPST
Old 10-18-2007, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! I will let you know how the appointment goes Friday!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:11 AM

About castor oil... I took castor oil to try to speed up my labor, nearly two months ago. It sucks, but it can work. By inducing 'bowel contractions' (ie: the runs), it also causes uterine contractions. Once the bowels have stopped 'contracting,' often the uterus can keep on going.

Unfortunately, it CAN cause the baby to become sick too, resulting in meconium in the waters. Also, sometimes the baby and mama aren't ready for labor, and it can drag on and on, when the mother would have been better off just taking the time to rest.

Personally, I would think that 42 weeks should be enough time for both you and the baby. Also take into consideration if you're having any contractions already, whether your cervix is showing signs of early labor, and if the baby is low in the pelvis (all would be good indicators that you're 'ready'). But, once you take that stuff, there's probably no going back. If you really weren't ready, it can result in another cesarean. You just have to see where you are. If it's a case of going in for a hospital induction (pitocin or similar) or castor oil, I'd take castor oil any day. But, I'd still be cautious.

HOW to take it: 4 oz with a big milk shake (home made, with milk, ice cream and a blender). The milk makes it easier on the stomach, and the ice cream just flat makes it taste better. Make sure you do it when you're well rested and READY for labor.

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
Old 10-21-2007, 01:00 AM

My family has a long history of going "late": my grandma had 13 kids, and all were between 2 and 9 wks late. Even the docs finally had to admit that it was highly unlikely she mis-figured 13 times (BTW, when my mom had me, I was 6 wks late.)

My DS was 12 days late; spontaneous labor, "emergency" c/s (I hesitate to call it an emergency, but basically, nothing was happening after several hours of pushing. But that's another story.)

I'm glad you posted this, though, b/c I was having similar worries, ie, was going "late" and a VBAC somehow incompatible. Last time, my doc very much wanted to induce me, and I just said no. I know he can't induce me this time around due to my prior c/s, but I am concerned that he's going to push me to sched a c/s.

So, not to hijack the thread, but ARE a VBAC and "overdue-ness" incompatible? Does going overdue make it somehow less likely that my vbac would be successful? Is a vbac somehow more dangerous if I'm overdue? Or can I just tell my doc to go to hell ?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFashionedGirl View Post
. . . but ARE a VBAC and "overdue-ness" incompatible? Does going overdue make it somehow less likely that my vbac would be successful? Is a vbac somehow more dangerous if I'm overdue? Or can I just tell my doc to go to hell ?
No, no, no, yes.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFashionedGirl View Post
Or can I just tell my doc to go to hell ?
:
Old 10-22-2007, 12:44 AM

Don't do castor oil or induction. I did castor oil and given the way my contrax came on and how intense they were I wonder if it contributed to my near-rupture. Wait as long as you feel comfortable. The risks DO go up after 42 weeks, even according to VBAC-friendly research, but it's up to you to decide if those risks outweigh a C-section which of course has its own risks. (((hugs))) I have BTDT, I delivered at 41w5d via C-section after trying desparately for a VBAC.
The NST can be very helpful in determining how happy baby is in there. Babies tend to lose weight after 40+ weeks though so don't let them tell you he's huge bc he's overdue. Of more concern is if the pacenta is aging or not, which interferes with circulation.
Drink a TON of water before you go, about an hour before. And if they tell you your amniotic fluid is too low, make sure it's being measured by an ultrasonographeron a really good machine and not an OB who doesn't do u/s all the time. Then tell them you'll come back later that day or the next to have it rechecked. Mine tripled in 24 hours from the OB's measurement to the u/s tech's measurement the next day.

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:47 PM

I am so sorry for you and your family
Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 PM

Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 PM

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 10-23-2007, 10:20 PM

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you can get some answers.

Nicole - Mom to FOUR healthy, happy, wild boys.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:37 PM

I am so, so sorry for your loss.

Mom to 3 awesome kids, 6.5y, 6.5y, 4.5y, plus a newbie born this year.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:47 PM

I just saw your new siggy. I am so sorry mama.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 10-23-2007, 10:49 PM

Old 10-23-2007, 11:21 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. Words are so inadequate at a time like this. Sending you love
Old 10-24-2007, 10:49 AM

Oh mama, I am so sorry. I have no words I can offer that are good enough- I am wishing you and your family peace.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:52 PM

i am so so sorry for your loss

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Old 10-24-2007, 06:08 PM

I'm so sorry for the loss of your son.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:12 PM

i'm so sorry for the loss of your son
Old 10-24-2007, 06:15 PM

I am so sorry
Old 10-25-2007, 01:12 AM

I am so sorry.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljortiz22 View Post
I am sorry sweety. I never even thought about it. Hope you feel better.
I do not think you owe anyone an apology.

You posted your story asking for advice, and you came back to post the ultimate outcome.

I cannot imagine losing a child, and my heart goes out to you. Please take care of yourself.

User Tag List