41 weeks and counting... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 174 Old 11-04-2007, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well...I don't know how much it means, but I'm about 99.999% sure that my waters just broke. I hope so, because if that's not what it was, something is horribly wrong with me!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 174 Old 11-04-2007, 06:42 PM

W00t!
#63 of 174 Old 11-04-2007, 06:46 PM

WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! !!

I am so excited for you!

Wishing you the wonderful birth you deserve!

Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#64 of 174 Old 11-04-2007, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gentle labor vibes! You'll be holding your baby very soon!
#65 of 174 Old 11-05-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Well...I don't know how much it means, but I'm about 99.999% sure that my waters just broke. I hope so, because if that's not what it was, something is horribly wrong with me!
Wonderful news! Hoping you are holding your sweet babe right now
#66 of 174 Old 11-05-2007, 02:26 AM

more

~claudia
#67 of 174 Old 11-05-2007, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

So...I'm not buying the AROM approach to inducing labour. My contractions slowed way down afterwards, but they're speeding up again now.

No baby yet. I'm taking a shower and going to bed very shortly, so I'll probably update again tomorrow...unless I'm in hard labour by then, of course. I figure baby will definitely be here within a week.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#68 of 174 Old 11-05-2007, 03:51 AM

I hope you're resting, relaxing, and enjoying the process.
#69 of 174 Old 11-05-2007, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Resting and relaxing as much as I can with two little ones running around...not quite as much as I'd like, but better than nothing. I'm definitely enjoying the process. I'm actually kind of glad it's all taking so long - sort of feels like I'm making up for not labouring with dd.

#70 of 174 Old 11-05-2007, 12:07 PM

What a fabulous attitude, Lisa. I hope you're holding your baby soon.
#71 of 174 Old 11-05-2007, 03:39 PM

Go Lisa!
I think about you alot! I can't wait to hear your story. You are awesome!
#72 of 174 Old 11-05-2007, 07:27 PM

This is driving me crazy! I keep checking in here looking for an update!!
Come on baby! Say hi to us now!!
#73 of 174 Old 11-05-2007, 07:54 PM

I can definitely understand your sentiments, StormBride. Yay mama!!
#74 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

No updates, but a shameless plea for a pep talk/reassurance. I don't feel as though anything is wrong, but I am starting to get frustrated at the slow rate of progress. I know we all say "nobody ever stayed pregnant forever"...but is there an equivalent saying about early labour? Has anybody stayed in early labour forever?

I don't know...this just seems to be taking a ridiculously long time to go anywhere!!! I've never been so anxious to feel more pain in my entire life. :

#75 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 PM

Lisa: you can do this, your body can do this.

have you had a talk and a good cry with the babe in your belly about how excited you are to look into their eyes for the first time? like a good, serious, heartfelt one?

sending you strong, enveloping, get-something-done contractions...

~claudia
#76 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yes to the good talk with baby - a couple of them now, actually. I finally had a good cry last night. It was kind of weird, because my contractions really picked up for about a half hour after that, then settled back to what they'd been before.

#77 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 04:07 PM

I only have a minute, but...

I was in "labor" for three days, but the contractions had been happening off and on for a couple weeks before that. There was definitely a difference when they kicked into gear; a sharpness to them that wasn't there before. But they'd kept me awake and interfered with my life for weeks. I was due August 15th, started prodromal labor August 11th, and didn't have the labor really start until August 26th (finally had the baby August 29th).

I know they say that all that prodromal labor gets the cervix ready--but it didn't. I'm sure it was doing *something*, but it wasn't doing anything that we could check for. So don't feel discouraged when your cervix feels the same day after day.

So yeah, labor can seem to drag on forever. I'd been avoiding doing anything by myself, staying well rested, expecting "real" labor at any moment, etc... finally, I stayed up late one night watching a movie with DH, and the next morning had gobs of bloody show and the contractions were much more intense.

So... you're doing it!

Danell - Craft Savvy mama to Evan (3/31/06) and Andre (8/29/07)
#78 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 04:07 PM

We need a little cheerleader smilie. But that is a bunch of labor dust for you right there.

Lisa, I have never BTDT, so I can't give you some reassurance about prodromal labor that didn't go on forever, I am sure there are many women who can. I have never labored, but from the stories of my mother and grandmother, I suspect that I will have a long, prodromal type labor when I have my VBAC. So, I pay attention to the stories. In many of the stories the women have a long, prodromal labor followed by a quick intense labor, and the baby arrives pretty quickly. Your body is doing this work for a reason.
The only other thing I can think of, is there anything emotionally that is holding you back? Maybe that is affecting it?
Rest while you can, because when it happens, it is going to be fast.
#79 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Danell. I've been trying to keep things as normal as possible (although I can't take the kids out by myself, because I can't drive and can't chase them on foot). It just seems...it's been a week since I lost the plug and had show, which I'm trying not to focus on...and it's been two days since my waters broke. I was dilating before that, but I won't check it again now that the membranes aren't intact. It just seems sometimes like the contractions have been ticking along the same way the whole time...

I must have an awfully cozy uterus! I'm starting to think I should have padded by due date by three weeks, instead of two...

#80 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 04:10 PM

By the way, today is my third wedding anniversary, so I think it would be an excellent day for your baby to arrive
#81 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 04:11 PM

I was terrified of another posterior baby, and Darci went completely posterior a few days after the first 'due date'. It made the stop and start labor. What my husband and I did was I laid on the floor on my side. We rubbed my tummy in the direction the baby needed to turn with some lavendar lotion while I popped pulsatilla. Within a half hour she turned, and she was born 10 hours after that. This was after weeks of start and stop labor, and days of light labor that would peak for a bit and then cease.

If you can feel that the babe is posterior, you may want to try the rubbing.
#82 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlewomyn View Post
The only other thing I can think of, is there anything emotionally that is holding you back? Maybe that is affecting it?
Rest while you can, because when it happens, it is going to be fast.
I've been thinking hard on the emotional part of it, because that crossed my mind, too. If there's anything, it's buried pretty deep, because I sure can't find it...a little bit of "first time labour" nerves, but that's about it...

I think when my friend gets here today, I'm going to just leave the kids with her for a half hour and go up to my room and lock the door...and maybe cry my eyes out for a while. I haven't felt this...hormonal since I was about 14!

#83 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 04:18 PM

Lisa, it's so hard to be where you are right now.

And the advice that I have to give is often hard to hear. (And, I know this because it was me hearing it two years ago).

Assume you are not in early labor yet. If your cervix is not dialating past four (which I know you can't check) then assume that labor has not yet begun and these contractions are for another, different purpose. Perhaps they are bringing your baby down low. Perhaps they are turning him or her from posterior into a better position. Who knows why our bodies do what they do, but it's clear that your body works--when it becomes time for the baby to come, he or she will.

In the meantime, act totally normally. Is your bag of waters still leaking? Has it resealed?

#84 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I think when my friend gets here today, I'm going to just leave the kids with her for a half hour and go up to my room and lock the door...and maybe cry my eyes out for a while. I haven't felt this...hormonal since I was about 14!
Anyone else think this is a good sign? Lots of hormones????
#85 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys View Post
Lisa, it's so hard to be where you are right now.

And the advice that I have to give is often hard to hear. (And, I know this because it was me hearing it two years ago).

Assume you are not in early labor yet. If your cervix is not dialating past four (which I know you can't check) then assume that labor has not yet begun and these contractions are for another, different purpose. Perhaps they are bringing your baby down low. Perhaps they are turning him or her from posterior into a better position. Who knows why our bodies do what they do, but it's clear that your body works--when it becomes time for the baby to come, he or she will.

In the meantime, act totally normally. Is your bag of waters still leaking? Has it resealed?

Someone else gave me this advice a couple of days ago. I appreciate the thought, but I didn't find that it helped much. Whether I call it labour or not...it's costing me sleep and making me grumpy with the kids and...ugh. Besides, when I think of it as not being labour, then the whole "post dates" issue starts to rear its ugly head.

I know I can do this...just wish it weren't so easy to have doubt creep in...

Still leaking...but much, much less than it was...

#86 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 04:30 PM

Just a quick note to ask...how does your midwife feel about your water being broken this long? How is the baby holding up? Keep us posted...we're hoping to hear that your baby is here and healthy and everyone is resting and happy very soon
#87 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsmama View Post
I was terrified of another posterior baby, and Darci went completely posterior a few days after the first 'due date'. It made the stop and start labor. What my husband and I did was I laid on the floor on my side. We rubbed my tummy in the direction the baby needed to turn with some lavendar lotion while I popped pulsatilla. Within a half hour she turned, and she was born 10 hours after that. This was after weeks of start and stop labor, and days of light labor that would peak for a bit and then cease.

If you can feel that the babe is posterior, you may want to try the rubbing.
I missed this one. I don't think baby is posterior. I'm certainly no expert, but it doesn't feel that way.

I had two weeks or so of stop and start with ds2 - that didn't bother me (except that I had the scheduled c/s hanging over my head, so it was a bit stressful). It was obviously "warm up" of some kind. This has just been soooo different.

When people say labours are all different, they're not kidding. Up until this baby, I'd only had about 30 hours, if that, of total labour, and I've still managed to have three completely different experiences - in every way. (No labour at all with dd.)

Honestly...this would probably be somewhat easier if dh and my best friend weren't starting to get concerned. Why is it that people being worried about me always has a negative effect on my ability to cope?

#88 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligmom View Post
Just a quick note to ask...how does your midwife feel about your water being broken this long? How is the baby holding up? Keep us posted...we're hoping to hear that your baby is here and healthy and everyone is resting and happy very soon
My midwife isn't worried about it. She's got me monitoring my temperature, and gave me the "nothing in the vagina" advice (which I'd already concluded). There's some mild mec staining, but we're keeping an eye on it. Baby seems to be holding up well. It's had a consistent heartrate for the last...three months??...and is still moving around some.

#89 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 PM

From what I've read, you can safely wait up to about 4 days post water breaking before significant risk of infection. That is IF no internal exams are done. Good luck - we're all cheering for you!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#90 of 174 Old 11-06-2007, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I've been told by several people that the first 12 hours are the most dangerous, in terms of infection. I'm not really worried about that.

The weird thing is that I'm not really worried about anything...I'm just feeling like this baby isn't ever going to come out (which is crazy!).

There will definitely be no internal exams. I doubt my midwife would do one if I asked, and I'm not asking!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page