worst case scenario UR- how long do you have before c-section? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 10-28-2007, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
Is what you gain by choosing to birth in the hospital worth what you'll lose, what it will cost you? Is it worth the "mights"? What if you choose the hospital route, make the necessary concessions, and the worst case scenario still happens? What if everyone isn't alright in spite of your location in the best of hospitals that can do it in the timeframe that wifeandmom gives? What then?
I think what it comes down to, though, is that there will always be unknowns. You simply *don't know* how your birth will go until it's happened. You may know that if X happens, then you're better off in a hospital, but if Y happens, you're better off at home... yet, without knowing whether X or Y will happen (and having wildly varying statistics on their incidence rates from various studies and agencies), you can't really use that information to decide.

So, what it comes down to is, what are you going to kick yourself for more? For staying home when you "should have" been at the hospital? Or for going to the hospital when you "should have" stayed home? In the absolute worst-case scenario... baby dies, suffers terrible damage, whatever... if you decided to stay home, are you going to be able to live with that decision? Some people can, some people can't. It's just not something anyone else can answer for you.

And chances are, the worst of the worst WON'T happen. There are a whole lot of other things that are more likely. Heck, the other day I got my first-tri screening results, and it was considered "negative," with the chance of Down's Syndrome being downgraded to 1 in 6,719. But... that's DOUBLE the chances of my baby dying of Group B Strep if I'm GBS positive and baby's born full-term without any antibiotic treatment. Wild, isn't it? Pamimidwife's blog has an entry with a great rundown on all the things that are more likely than a uterine rupture during a VBAC. For example, you're three times as likely to get pregnant with twins as have a UR during a VBAC.

So, it's all playing the numbers, gambling on the outcomes that seem most likely (statistically in general, and for YOU), and then deciding what you can live with the most. I have to say, I'll probably go with a hospital birth, because (1) I don't mind hospitals in general; and (2) I just *know* that I'd have trouble forgiving myself if the Ultimate happened and I'd stayed home. No matter what anyone said, I'd wonder if things would have turned out differently if I'd gone to the hospital. And, sure, maybe that's my hangup, but it's MINE. ;-) (And I do have a really good option available for a hospital birth with a nurse-midwife practice, an overall c/s rate of 20%, total rooming-in policy, plus top of the line everything available if needed... if that all wasn't available in one almost-convenient package [drive is half an hour at 3 a.m., and 45-90 minutes during the workday] I might make a different decision.)
#32 of 44 Old 10-28-2007, 04:20 AM

Quote:
You're right, there are some instances where being in a hospital MIGHT make the difference, but notice that's just a "might" not a guarantee nor a certainty.
You are so right. And there are definitely examples where mom and/or baby MIGHT have been ok if they'd been at home vs. a hospital. Not a guarantee, but maybe nonetheless. There are no guarantees, and human nature balks at that.

Quote:
Is what you gain by choosing to birth in the hospital worth what you'll lose, what it will cost you? Is it worth the "mights"? What if you choose the hospital route, make the necessary concessions, and the worst case scenario still happens? What if everyone isn't alright in spite of your location in the best of hospitals that can do it in the timeframe that wifeandmom gives? What then?
I think these are all such important questions for *every* woman to ask herself. And only *she* can answer them for herself and her particular situation.

Whatever a mother ultimately decides is best for her and her baby, I would truly hope that she made that choice based on the best information available at the time. More imporantly, I would hope that deep down in her heart she knew that she was making the best choice she could at the time. That's really all any of us can do.

And in the end, if we find ourselves on the wrong side of the statistics, I'd think that being able to reflect back on that decision making process would offer some degree of comfort. We can only do what we feel is best and right at the time, while realizing that sometimes, somebody, somewhere is going to be on the wrong side of the statistics.

If that someone happens to be *me*, I know that the choices I made for my children's births were the very best I could do at the time, they were decisions I do not regret, and most importantly, they were decisions that FELT RIGHT. I give serious weight to a mother's instinct in these matters too, and that just can't be quantified, kwim?
#33 of 44 Old 10-28-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
And in the end, if we find ourselves on the wrong side of the statistics, I'd think that being able to reflect back on that decision making process would offer some degree of comfort
Well, to be honest, this seldom happens. If the unthinkable happens to you, it is a natural part of the grieving process to regret your decisions. If you HBAC you wish it had been in the hospital. If it was in the hospital (as mine was), I wish more than anything I had never considered VBAC and that I had been the happy patient who just scheduled her repeat for 38 weeks. On the other hand, if you had a child die as result of an ERCS, you'd regret not doing a VBAC.

In the end, as you say, you can only do the best you can with the imformation you have at the time. But don't think thats going to be any real comfort if you do come down on the wrong side of things.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#34 of 44 Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
Well, to be honest, this seldom happens. If the unthinkable happens to you, it is a natural part of the grieving process to regret your decisions. If you HBAC you wish it had been in the hospital. If it was in the hospital (as mine was), I wish more than anything I had never considered VBAC and that I had been the happy patient who just scheduled her repeat for 38 weeks. On the other hand, if you had a child die as result of an ERCS, you'd regret not doing a VBAC.

In the end, as you say, you can only do the best you can with the imformation you have at the time. But don't think thats going to be any real comfort if you do come down on the wrong side of things.

I think for *me*, the fact that all available research indicated at the time that my baby was more likely to die if I attempted a VBAC would have helped me if something had gone wrong during my ERCS. Statistically, I chose what was safest for my baby.

Let's say they'd ended up in the NICU with minor breathing issues (common enough with ERCS babies). Then they got an infection that they never would have been exposed to if they hadn't been in the NICU to begin with. And they died.

Well, at the end of the day, my original choice was still the one that was LESS likely to end up in the death of my baby. I really do think that I would eventually find at least some small amount of comfort in that.

Would I wish desperately that I'd done something different so that my child would have lived? I'm sure. But actually being able to live with my choice and not go absolutely insane blaming myself? It's one of the main reasons I could never wrap my mind around VBAC. I knew that *I* couldn't live with myself if worst case scenerio happened given what I knew about the current research combined with my own personal situation (closely spaced pg, would have required induction, etc).

Maybe I'm wrong, and I am so incredibly thankful that I never had to find out.
#35 of 44 Old 10-28-2007, 08:19 PM

My point is that second guessing yourself and wishing you had done something different is a natural part of the grieving process. It doesn't matter how logical or rational or sensible the choice is. When something tragic happens, you will always second guess yourself. You do get through it, although some people will spend more time in that grief stage than others.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#36 of 44 Old 10-28-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
My point is that second guessing yourself and wishing you had done something different is a natural part of the grieving process. It doesn't matter how logical or rational or sensible the choice is. When something tragic happens, you will always second guess yourself. You do get through it, although some people will spend more time in that grief stage than others.
yes. or you get information later, that you didn't have at the time, that might have or would have changed your choices if you had found that information. "I made the right decision for the information I had at the time" is very cold comfort.
#37 of 44 Old 10-29-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinna View Post
yes. or you get information later, that you didn't have at the time, that might have or would have changed your choices if you had found that information. "I made the right decision for the information I had at the time" is very cold comfort.
:

I guess one of my biggest issues is that when it comes to this kind of discussion ERCS vs VBAC unless you are able/willing to go out and do the research yourself (kudos to OP for asking this kind of question to more than just her mw) it is often difficult to get the information you really need because the issue of UR to the medical powers that be is really about a misappropriation of risk.

wifeandmom - You are right, we each need to make the decision we're most comfortable with, but what worries me the most about that sentiment is the fact that it can often be taken and applied to other situations (primary c/s w/out medical indications for example). Where does one draw the line?

And you're right - human nature (and our culture in general) balks at the idea that there aren't any guarantees so we tend to believe those who make the guarantees which I'm sure doesn't make the grieving process any easier to get through when you go contrary to the "guarantee".

As for me....I'll never be comfortable birthing in a hospital nor will I ever be comfortable seeking care from an OB/GYN. For me VBAC far outweighs the risks of UR and I know in my heart that my best chance is at home, not in the hospital. In the hospitals around here my only option is an OB/GYN and all the technological bells and whistles. I've already expereienced that once and know that I cannot go back again.

It probably helps that for my own personal philosophy I am mindful of the fact that there are no guarantees in life. I'm not guaranteed anything more than the moment that I'm in. I have to hold onto my life and the lives of those that I love loosely. For me the medical model runs contrary to that.
#38 of 44 Old 10-29-2007, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
g&a

Update:
Well, I think I caught DH reading this thread (I left it open) and now he's freaked about UR. He's adament about choosing hospital over birth center.
I'm pretty sure there's nothing I can say to convince him otherwise.

I've got my heart set on not going to the hospital. In fact, I always picture birthing at home, but I know that's not possible, so this is a compromise.

He said it's like driving a car, you know it is dangerous so you take precautions like wearing a seatbelt. I told him that we ARE taking precautions, we've hired the best midwife around, and we're going to the birth center which is only minutes away from the hospital.

And, in a way, he's right, it would probably be safer in the hospital with the midwife than at the birth center with the midwife, but is it really necessary to go to the hospital??

OK, he just confessed to reading the thread! Silly guy!

I just lost the rest of the thought.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#39 of 44 Old 10-30-2007, 12:42 AM

Many good thoughts here...good discussion.

Another thing to figure in is that "THE HOSPITAL" is not a catch all, quality and availability of services vary widely. Its important to ask these question in relation to your home and midwife team and your local hospital, and how its staffed.

And how it is "Staphed" is something to consider too. My local hospital has a 30-40% staph infection rate for all admissions up from 26% in 2005, with MRSA raging all over it.....not a place I'd want to have a baby if I could help it.

And an acquaintance had an ERC and her baby was in the NICU three weeks for immature lungs. She spent those first three weeks in the NICU away from her 2 year old, and that made the whole transition to new baby in the family hell for them. Should they be grateful they had a live baby or regret not having had a VBAC that statistically would have gone off just fine?

Choices depend so much on what is available- in my town I can have a homebirth with a midwife, soon I can choose a birth center birth too, or I could have an ERC at the hospital with lower infection rates that does not do VBACs, or ERC or VBAC in the hospital that is very aggressive with intervention and not friendly to mothers who want to move or have intermittent monitoring and some of the docs require an epidural in place in case of rupture (an unmedicated VBAC is my bench mark for health and normal) plus it has mandatory separation of mother & baby in post op during recovery and is the place with high infection rates... or I could leave town and go somewhere with lower infection rates and better VBAC policies, and better post c-section care for mom and baby.

One reason I want to choose VBAC is to protect my future health and the integrity off my uterus. What about the long term risks of adhesions and bowel complications, reduced fertility, or gynecological problems from having my abdomen opened up uterus cut over and over again? Esp. if infection is part of the picture? I just had surgery to fix problems from my first c-section, I know I don't want to go through all that again.

I value spontaneous labor and all the related hormonal reactions that are too complex to be understood, but I suspect they are far more important than we have begun to realize. Like I value my body's natural oxytocin's ability to create love and attachment for me and my baby. I think the hormones of labor are a vital part of creating a healthy baby and mother. What if lack of natural labor hormones is part of the aspergers picture? What if you skip labor and have a child who is life long affected by a neurological disorder, or chronic lung problems from being born early and not getting squeezed out, what then? I believe nature has a purpose in its process of birth, and think its unwise to bypass that if you can help it.

Plus I believe in the energetics of the body, and spinals/epidurals/surgery are far more depleting than vaginal birth. In Chinese medicine c-sections are seen as cutting your meridians and they most often don't reattach right, just like circulation and nerves do not heal/ reattach perfectly, and it creates long-term changes in the flow called stagnation that affects all body processes, especially moods. I think these kinds of energetic problems were my worst post c-section complications. I really have not been the same since, the stagnation issue has been a big one for me, giving me symptoms in my back, low energy, hopelessness and anger. I need acupuncture to clear these things the way someone who had a major injury might need lymph drainage massage. Things just don't flow like they used too! I think submitting to that without good reason seems bad for maternal long term health.

I tend to think that we need to start at the lowest level of intervention that is safe, and react to emergencies when they arise. The question becomes what is the best plan if an emergency does arise, and how much do we let it effect the original course of action? I think VBAC is safest and most sensible option for me, but ideally we need to have surgery ready ASAP in case we are in the minority that poor egold (bless her) was in. But I can not go into the hospital here and have a peaceful, unmedicated VBAC. I know I could not birth in the circumstances available for me in the hospital that VBACs here. And I need to give myself the best shot at a VBAC since I think that is healthiest for me. I am afraid of the myriad of surgery complications from an ERC or "failed" VBAC, totally not worth the risk to me if I can help it, so really it makes best sense for me to try to birth at home.

I am aware of risks of death to my baby, even me, for homebirth rupture and hospital VBAC/elective c-sections. None of the choices are perfect, none can guarantee a good scenario for mom or baby....so what to do? Original poster seems to want answer of what is safest, like minutes from the occurrence of a complication can be calculated and predicted, and the plan can be decided based on that. But no one knows even if you have rupture if it will effect you, or baby negatively at all (the story of the rupture that was undetected until the c-section illustrates this). I wish we could google "what is the right decison, God?". I feel like this is what you are really asking. You are in one of those places in life where safety can not be found or managed on a physical plane, your safety has to be found beyond your numbers, the research, etc in your heart. I think many people let others make this decsion for them- their doctors, their husband, the hospital because its such a huge level of responsabilty to do concisously. I think you are courageous to have even asked. If you find that place of peace in your heart, hold on to it and hope it carries you though if things do not go in the way you hoped, whatever choice you make. Be connected, find your intuition and faith, and do what feels best based on your ways of knowing, and pray to be on the better side of the stats and for mercy and peace if you are not.

Meanwhile, from another thread, this link just puts it all in perspective!!!
And this one tell you why it makes sense to VBAC.
And this is a tear jerker (in a good way) that reminds me why VBAC is worth trying for!
#40 of 44 Old 10-30-2007, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
g&a

Wow, that one IS a tear jerker! See, people do VBAC at home!

I should be clear, (my last post was cut off) the choice we're debating now is location - hospital or birth center - both would be with the SAME midwife.
To VBAC or not has never been up for debate in anyone's eyes.

Of course, I am staunchly for birth center for peace of mind reasons, and DH (who thinks his MDC name should be "The Voice of Reason") is now thinking that birth is so inherantly dangerous (not just VBAC) that we ought to be in the hospital at least, if not the OR (ok, I am being sarcastic here, get it, Mr. Reason?).

I think the only thing that would sway his opinion is ANOTHER long chat with the midwife. I wonder if she is tired of us yet!

OK, here's another thought: hospital=fear of something bad happening
I am not afraid of uterine rupture! I'm not. I know the possability exists, and now I know how serious it is, but that is not going to stop me from having the best birth possible. That doesn't mean not taking precautions - it just means not going overboard. If we are labouring at the birth center and the midwife says we should go to the hospital, I'm there. Do we make every decision based on fear? Where's the freedom in that?

By going to the hospital we are only protecting ourselves from those ruptures where the baby would be saved with surgery between 10 (5?) and 20 minutes after rupture. That number is so infitessimably small it's hard to believe we're getting all worked up over it.

<sigh> Thanks for reading if you go this far! I'm not expecting anyone to post a magical argument that will solve the whole dilemma, sometimes it's just good to voice it out.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#41 of 44 Old 10-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g&a View Post
Of course, I am staunchly for birth center for peace of mind reasons, and DH (who thinks his MDC name should be "The Voice of Reason") is now thinking that birth is so inherantly dangerous (not just VBAC) that we ought to be in the hospital at least, if not the OR (ok, I am being sarcastic here, get it, Mr. Reason?).
I understand wanting to make this decision together and many women certainly feel that if their partners aren't together with them on the decision that they won't go a certain way. As much as I love my dh, I have told him many times that I will do what I feel is best for me and baby whether or not he is on board. Since I'm the one who will be dealing with the long term ramifications of whatever decision is being made and I'm the one who will be on the operating table should it come to a c/s I just don't feel comfortable either way.

I used to hate the "No vagina, no vote" sentiment that so many have expressed in the past, but now that I'm pregnant again and drawing ever closer to going into labor I know even more so why so many women say that.

Luckily for me dh has always been on board since the very beginning and agrees that a home birth is our best option (I think the c/s affected him every bit as much as it did me). I know that's not always the case for everyone, but I'm thankful never-the-less.

All of this just to bring out (yet) another perspective on the decision making process.

Oh, and Human_Being, very well said!
#42 of 44 Old 10-30-2007, 01:03 PM

I was discussing this thread with my DH last night, and he of course had a similar reaction... we're not pg so it's all hypothetical anyway but he was shocked (I think it was the graphic idea of baby floating in abdominal cavity... it's a scarey, scarey thought).

But I guess the part of the conversation that summed up how we REALLY see it is this. Catastrophies happen to people. There are many kinds of catastrophies - car accident, plane crash, untreatable cancer, death of a child, and there's no way to predict whether or not you're on that "list" of people who are going to experience a catastrophy. There are ways to shortlist yourself though - driving a car you know is unsafe, smoking, and IMO signing up for almost certainly unnecessary surgery is a way to shortlist yourself for catastrophy (of course erc is not what we're talking about here, I know, I'm just following the train of thought through). I guess the question really is, are you likely to have a successful vbac in hospital (with your MW certainly ups your chance of success)? If I had this option, and all else being equal, it is probably what I would do.

But, I'm in a similar situation where there is no perfect solution. The hospital where my MW has priviledges demands that MWs transfer care of all vbac clients to the on-shift OB upon arrival. So I don't have the option of MW-attended hospital vbac, despite that this is what would fit for me. We also have no birth centres, and will be living at least 40 minutes from the nearest level III hospital by the time I'm pg again. So I believe I will be forced to find a way to become comfortable with an UBAC (because I have precipitous births, it's likely the MW won't be there yet), which is not a choice I would have made in any other set of circumstances.

But, when I come back to it... if I'm on that list of people to whom catastrophies are going to happen, well, I'm on that list and I can't do anything about it. I believe that walking into that knife-happy hospital to vbac and getting turned over to an OB is little different from signing up for erc, and I believe that THAT would be shortlisting myself, so to speak. so unless things change - we'll be staying home. (and then of course there's still teh precip birth factor to add in for me... could we get to the hospital, even if my MW could attend me there?)

anyway I'm blithering now... hope some of this is coherent!

xo
#43 of 44 Old 10-31-2007, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Here's the post turtlewoymn was referring to. I think it's also good to keep in mind that when the studies are done to come up with the risk for UR they include both dehiscence and catastrophic rupture.

Your chances of catastrophic rupture are significantly smaller than your chances of dehiscence which can often happen w/out any ill effects for the baby. Women who have had no prior uterine surgery also are at risk for uterine rupture and in those cases they are most usually catastrophic.

I only bring this up to put the whole ur discussion into perspective. I find that's helpful to me when considering my options.

I find it interesting that majormajor posted the scariest parts of the articles she found and did not reference other parts that are valuable to this type of discussion.

From the first link:
(emphasis mine)

I'd also suggest reading the ENTIRE study as the quote given by the pp is in the introduction whereas there is a more thorough discussion of it further in the study.

A few other sources:

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/vbacfrye.html
http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr.../fighting.html
From the second link:
(emphasis mine)

I'd be a little bit suspicious of your midwife. imo it seems more like she's trying to scare you into doing what she wants you to do. I'd ask her to prove it and provide you with copies of her evidence the five minutes.
yes yes yes yes and yes. ia agree and would link you to tall the same info she has. i could not have done a better job!
#44 of 44 Old 11-04-2007, 02:41 PM

In the VBAC companion they state 17 minutes. I hadn't heard such a small time frame until reading that book (which I don't recommend btw) I have also heard 30 minutes from decision to incision, but I was just speaking with a midwife in my area about that and she said that more recent studies have shown that the moms and babies that took longer than 30 minutes from decision to incision had no worse outcomes than those that were within the 30 minute time frame. Actually some of them actually had BETTER outcomes. I feel comfortable listening to my body and talking it over with my midwife to see what she thinks.

Sara proud mommy to Kaiden 9/24/2004, Carter 4/10/2007 and Anniston 12/4/2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page