Is it just my doc or are they all like this? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 11-12-2007, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom View Post
See, the thing is, the hospital will charge all sorts of outrageous amounts. But they don't actually get PAID that amount.

The actual difference in cost for vaginal birth vs. c-section in terms of insurance payout is usually not all that different. A section will cost more, but not tons more. This is assuming of course that we're comparing a standard hospital vaginal delivery to a standard hospital c-section, neither with complications.

If you think about it, that's a sad testament to how medicalized vaginal birth has become with all the monitoring, pitocin, epidural for almost everyone, etc.
According to my bills that is what they PAID.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 11-12-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx View Post
As it is, when something wrong happens, as long as the baby is relatively fine, most moms DON'T sue or even report the malpractice. And so it continues . . .
Well, the thing is, you *can't* sue for malpractice (and win) unless you can demonstrate harm. The real issue is, we need to look at our definitions of "harm" and include things that are NOT obvious death or disability. If mom has an unnecessary surgical birth, and then is unable to establish nursing and has to formula-feed, we need to be able to argue IN COURT that the extra health costs of formula-feeding instead of nursing are, to some extent, a consequence of the surgical delivery. We actually can calculate the average extra costs of illness, time off school/work, etc. caused by formula feeding, and the percentage increase in formula feeding due to cesarean births, so this *should* be doable... but you need (1) a standard of care that recognizes these factors and (2) expert witnesses who will testify to them.

Unfortunately, the differential rates of exclusive nursing for babies born surgically is the EASIEST to prove. The long-term effects of slowed bonding, mom's incapacity immediately after the birth, and the effect on future pregnancies and births is somewhat more nebulous, but not less significant.

You show a jury a picture of a dead or mutilated baby, they'll give you money every time. You show them a baby sucking on a bottle, and they say, "What's the problem?" And that's where we're at right now. So, the question is, where do we go from here?
#33 of 40 Old 11-12-2007, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeetpea View Post
Ummm, yes.

And watch for the Low amniotic fluid ploy. They do an ultrasound and claim that "OMG! You have almost no amniotic fliud left! Baby needs to come out RIGHT NOW!!! And, since you've had a section, we can't induce, so off to the OR with you!"

Drink LOTS to keep fluid up, and if they claim a low fluid measurement, ask for a second scan, done by a senior sono tech with lots of experience. I had a client go from 4 to 13 with a second opinion. BIG difference.

Good Luck!
No worries on that front. The u/s tech has been passing me with flying colors. And I can see the pockets of fluid on the screen for myself, so unless my water breaks, I don't see it being an issue before I'd consider the possibility of trying induction. DH will be home for the prostoglandins and I'm willing to try low doses of pit if next Monday comes around and no baby. There are other things more risky in a non-VBAC vaginal birth than 7% chance. I can always call off the drip at any time too, but 42 weeks is going to have to be my limit because of the availability of my support people. I was really hoping to have had my baby already and am starting to reconsider some of the hard limits I had on interventions/induction/augmentation. She seems happy as a clam inside there and my contractions have been getting more frequent and stronger, just not both at the same time, so maybe it won't be an issue this time next week. :

Anna
#34 of 40 Old 11-12-2007, 11:45 PM

I would be veeery leery of Pitocin & VBAC Really should be a final resort, mama. Some say don't combine the two at all. :cry:

I agree that Support People are important, but scheduling a birth at all, is a little unwise, IMO. Of course 42 weeks could be your limit, but how sure are you of your dates?
#35 of 40 Old 11-12-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeetpea View Post
Oh, and Anna, I'll be in your neck of VA for Thanksgiving next week. I'll be happy to help you UC if DH isn't back!

HUGS!

Sweetpea
DH will be home Friday night. If not, I'll be a widow and have either a funeral to plan or if he didn't buy the ticket tonight like I told him to, I'll be in a Louisiana jail for murder. Thanks for the offer though!

Anna
#36 of 40 Old 11-12-2007, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx View Post
I would be veeery leery of Pitocin & VBAC Really should be a final resort, mama. Some say don't combine the two at all. :cry:

I agree that Support People are important, but scheduling a birth at all, is a little unwise, IMO. Of course 42 weeks could be your limit, but how sure are you of your dates?
I have a pretty much clockwork cycle and if I'm not at almost 41 weeks then the home test when I was supposed to get my period the first of March was a month late and I'm almost 45 weeks and had what seemed to be a period at the first of Feb. I can't be any more than 45 because of DH returning from deployment and no less than 41 because you can pretty much set a clock by my cycles. I am also extraordinary sensitive to pregnancy hormones and knew within a week of conception (if going by the 41 weeks dating) by my mood changes that it was more than likely I was pregnant and needed to go see my psychiatrist. I might be off by one or two days in either direction, because I can tell you that nothing happened on Feb 14 in this house. We all had the brunt of the flu and nookie was the last thing on our minds that night.

So to sum up, yeah. I'm pretty sure of the dates.

Anna
#37 of 40 Old 11-13-2007, 03:42 PM

Is your OB willing to strip your membranes or do a "stretch and sweep"? If you are already contracting, this may be enough get you over the hump into labor. When I went into the hospital, I was contracting every 6 minutes but my contractions weren't getting any closer together or stronger after 5 hours (i think I jumped the gun on going). Anyhow, my midwife got in there and stretched my cervix a little and the contractions picked up immediately. I've heard it working for other people too. Just a thought... Good luck!
#38 of 40 Old 11-13-2007, 03:51 PM

There was another recent thread on here posted by a woman who had a successful VBAC induction using a foley, too. (I'm assuming this was used to help manually dilate the cervix).

For me, if I go past 41 wks with this pregnancy, I will do everything I can to encourage my baby to start moving along short of the pitocin. If it came down to a repeat scheduled c/s versus pitocin (because I was not comfortable going any farther post dates), I just don't know what I would decide - hopefully I never get to that situation!

But, everyone has their own comfort level for what they are willing to do. Anyway, good luck!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#39 of 40 Old 11-19-2007, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Update from L&D... I was here last night because of regular contractions that were 5 min apart and strong. They sent me home because I wasn't dialated. Today I loose my mucus plug and my water breaks, no regular contractions, but they keep me. I'm off to walk the halls to try to get this party started... The closest day I could get on the surgery schedule to the 42 week mark and still have my doc is 7:30 AM tomorrow (well, today since it's just past midnight) and I have until prep time to get the baby out the front door. They're not doing anything else as of yet. I'm more effaced, but still not dialated.

Anna
#40 of 40 Old 11-19-2007, 03:46 AM

:

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page