Interesting thing that Jenny McCarthy said... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So forgive me if this is TMI, but it is c-s related...

On a talk show last night, Jenny McCarthy was talking about her first Playboy : photo shoot, and her um lack of pubic-hair trimming.

Okay, it's a grown-up talk show.

So the host was saying, but you're not like that anymore (laugh-laugh) and Jenny said, "Actually, Yes, I am, because I had a c-section, it's a disaster down there!" Or something to that effect. And I was thinking, my scar is above my pubic hair line, but I'm kind of a not-really-hairy person (no arm hair, very light fine leg hair etc.) and I thought her implication was that she stopped 'trimming' because she had a c-section, and that way she could cover the scar.

Now, I can't cover my scar with pubic hair, but I do remember the nurse coming in before the surgery, with a razor and asking my midwife if I needed it, and my midwife said no. So, my questions are:

1) Did any of you have to shave yourself before surgey (seems a bit humiliating to me...) or
1a) Did the surgeon/nurses shave you before surgery when you were already numbed?
2) Are most of you able to 'hide' your scar like Jenny McCarthy?

My mom told me that in the 1970s when a woman came into the hospital in labour that she was shaved from "navel to knees" and given an enema...I believe this is probably true. Any insight?

Kate: fumbling through the best years with W, L, F & V...newest arrival coming Jan '11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 12:44 AM

I think there was shaving when I had my c-section, but not much pubic hair was removed. The scar is definitely above the treeline.

However, it's well-hidden by the part of my belly that flops over at the bottom. ;-)
#3 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 12:56 AM

They did shave me after the spinal. Its just under my hairline but not really hidden

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#4 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 01:02 AM

The nurse shaved me for both of my c/s. My scar is above my hairline, so I never really understood why they shaved, but my thoughts were elsewhere.

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#5 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 01:12 AM

I don't remember if they shaved me. I was put under though & the hours after Joe's birth are very fuzzy. I could've been bald as a cue ball & I would not remember. My scar is way above my hairline but because Joe was in distress in the birth canal my scar is vertical, which is almost unheard of these days.

I love it though, I don't try to hide it. It's my badge of honor.
#6 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I was shaved by the nurse before my C/S after I was good and numb from my epidural and my scar is well below my hairline and is not visible without some trimming!
#7 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

My new midwife (I'm 12 weeks with #3) said also that she sees a lot of U-shaped scars...mine is a straigh line - any other U-scars out there?

And it got me to thinking about the Hoolywood a-listers with scheduled c/s and how I bet they also didn't get just 7 big staples across their bellies, but rather dozens of tiny, tidy cosmetic-surgery type sutchers (sp?) and maybe that is another reason that c/s may not seems so drastic to that type of body-image conscious type person....:

Kate: fumbling through the best years with W, L, F & V...newest arrival coming Jan '11
#8 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 02:20 AM

I was already all shaven before the cesarean because I like no hair down below but if I did have hair my scar is just right above the hair line and I can see why they would want to shave a an inch or so down from where they are going to cut as they wouldnt want to have to deal with hair entering or around the opening.
#9 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 02:37 AM

I pushed for an hour before I decided to have a c/s (no urge to push, no progress, yada yada) and I hadn't had any pain meds. They shaved me with an electric razor (I think, I vaguely remember some buzzing) while I was still in my own room, then they moved me to the OR to administer the spinal. They just shaved the top, not over my vulva or anything like that. The scar is about an inch below the hair line (I'm kinda on the hairy side). Also, my doc used some kind of skin "glue" so I never had stiches or staples. Although when my hair was growing back a couple strands that were right over the scar became ingrown and I had to wash it out and take care of it so it didn't become infected.

Suprisingly, the scar itself isn't very visible. Instead, it's still a little pink (a year later) and also it makes a weird crease in my fat (you know, the fat pad that everyone has over their pubic bone). It makes it's own "fat roll" where normally I wouldn't have one. Otherwise you wouldn't notice it.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#10 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 03:06 AM

My scar is about right even with the hairline. They did shave me a little, though, just in case. My pubic bone is very low down, so they weren't quite sure where the doc was going to cut.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#11 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 03:24 AM

Here's a link to a recent post on theshapeofamother.com:
Self-Acceptance
It shows a very typical c-section scar, in my experience. It's in the hairline, but gets uncovered by a typical trim.

In case you're not familiar with the site, it has nudity, lots of it. And this particular entry has a fresh scar with bruising, and a look at the scar after healing.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#12 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 06:53 AM

I was shaved and had a catheter stuck in me prior to walking to the OR (scheduled coerced c-section for fetal macrosomia). I cannot "hide" my scar like Jenny does, though, so I don't know what they were shaving (belly hairs mostly).

My mom was shaved and received enemas with all three of her kids born vaginally in the 60's and 70's.
#13 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
My mom told me that in the 1970s when a woman came into the hospital in labour that she was shaved from "navel to knees" and given an enema...I believe this is probably true. Any insight?
To the OP:
YES.
Women were shaved of their pubic hair upon admission to L&D because it was supposed to clear the way for the doctor to do the routine episiotomy and make things nice and clean.
This is stupid because there were studies in medical journals for decades that showed that:
Number One: No hair grows where the episiotomy is done.
Number Two: Shaving the pubic hair actually increases the bacteria count and raises the infection rate.
YES.
Women received the 3H enema upon admission to L&D (high, hot, and a helluva lot)
The reason given for this demeaning procedure was:
Number One: It clears the lower bowel so the mother will not fear pushing out fecal matter when it is time to push.
Number Two: The enema gets the labor show on the road for the hospital staff.
These are stupid reasons because many women have diarrhea early in labor which naturally clears the lower bowel, and there is still some stools left in the lower colon when the baby arrives anyway. If this bothers the birth attendant, that person is in the wrong field of work.

I understand in France, women shave themselves and give themselves enemas before they leave for the hospital. Or used to.

These demeaning, useless procedures are no longer done routinely because advocates of natural birth challenged the hospitals on the basis of their necessity and cited the medical studies that showed them to be of no use.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#14 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 11:37 AM

I have no idea for questions 1 and 2. I was bawling and everyone was in a rush to get the baby out so who knows.

For three no I can't cover it but it doesn't matter because the OB that did the surgery is known for her "amazing" stitchwork (no staples) on c-sections. She was absolutely horrible during the labor but she did manage to leave me with a very unnoticeable scar. While recovering I kept getting doctors coming in to check out my scar and telling my how beautiful it was.
#15 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 01:50 PM

They shaved me a bit, but not much. My scar is very low, but above my hairline.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#16 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
However, it's well-hidden by the part of my belly that flops over at the bottom. ;-)
:
#17 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 08:02 PM

My scar is above te hairline, but only just... maybe a quarter inch?

The nurse did shave a little off the top... the hospital I was at uses steri strips after closing the incision in order to reduce adhesions. Which is wonderful. But the strips can get stuck in the hair and so they generally shave a bit first. It was an unplanned c/s so I wasn't really "in the loop" but the reasoning made sense and the shave was less than I would have done for a performance of Rocky Horror so it wasn't anything too noticable.

My scar will be 3 years old next month and although it got pinker during my last pregnancy it's pretty vague most of the time... a touch ropy on one side but generally smooth and slightly darker than flesh tone. I can't hide it but like a pp, the tummy bulge sort of makes it a moot point.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#18 of 85 Old 03-13-2008, 09:08 PM

Not that you can see my scar because of belly flab, but it is above the hairline. They did not shave me, & the nurses removing my staples were surprised by that.

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#19 of 85 Old 03-14-2008, 02:13 AM

They shaved me down to where my labia start. My scar sits right at the very edge of the top of the hair, so the hair doesn't cover it persay, but if I were to pull the top of my pants down to show it to you, you'd see a peek of hair.
#20 of 85 Old 03-14-2008, 12:25 PM

My scar is right at the hairline - there are a few "straggles" above it but it's definitely not well-covered. They shaved me a little bit right before surgery.
#21 of 85 Old 03-14-2008, 07:53 PM

They shaved me just a bit before surgery. My scar is just even with the hairline.

I had staples--I actually requested them instead of sutures. I just think that they make a nicer scar in the end (I used to work in womens' healthcare). But, honestly, if I had a doc tell me she/he was more comfortable with suture, I'd go with that, instead. If someone is cutting and sewing on me, I'm all about them doing what they think they do best.
#22 of 85 Old 03-14-2008, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

I had staples and they seemed really far apart to me, even at that time.

I'm having a really hard time accepting my scar - even though it's 3 and a half years old. After my VBAC, I did sort of feel like it had faded somewhat, but to me, I'm ashamed of it. Like I failed somehow in protecting my baby's birthright.

I used to go to the nudy-beach, but I don't anymore.

#23 of 85 Old 03-14-2008, 09:58 PM

A nurse shaved me right before surgery, too — just a little off the top edge. I jokingly told her, "Oh, my husband would just love it if you'd take it all off." (Hubby has a thing for smooth bits ... *blush*) The nurse was not the least bit amused, though.

It grew back over my scar, so I don't really see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misseks View Post
I met someone who had a homebirth in Rome, where she was living, and she said she chose a homebirth primarily because they still shave the women and give them enemas. She just couldn't stomach the idea of giving birth in an Italian hospital. When she discussed this with Italian women, their reaction was, "You mean you don't shave before giving birth? That's so dirty and unsanitary!" Interesting ...
#24 of 85 Old 03-14-2008, 10:49 PM

My scar is in the top of my pubic hair. A nurse shaved a bit right before the surgery.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#25 of 85 Old 03-15-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
Here's a link to a recent post on theshapeofamother.com:
Self-Acceptance
It shows a very typical c-section scar
I never had any bruising like that, that was in the picture. Is that common because that is aweful and I thought mine looked bad right after. I remember when I looked at mine for the first time it was so painful emotionally seeing all those staples and where they actually cut me a pulled my son out of.
#26 of 85 Old 03-15-2008, 01:07 PM

I trim so they didn't need to shave me, but talked about it untill they saw down there
my scar is just ever so slightly above the hairline
#27 of 85 Old 03-15-2008, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by junomama View Post
"You mean you don't shave before giving birth? That's so dirty and unsanitary!" Interesting ...
Some people have the strangest hang-ups about body hair and other normal, natural conditions.

It would take an army of psychiatrists to figure it all out, but I would not trust the psychiatrists.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#28 of 85 Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
To the OP:
YES.

YES.

These demeaning, useless procedures are no longer done routinely because advocates of natural birth challenged the hospitals on the basis of their necessity and cited the medical studies that showed them to be of no use.
:
#29 of 85 Old 03-17-2008, 01:55 PM

i don't think i was shaved at all and i'm pretty hairy. it's grown a little over the scar but not that much.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
#30 of 85 Old 03-17-2008, 03:14 PM

mine is definitely within the hair area. Reading this post brings back my memory of when the bandage was removed and I almost puked looking at/touching the incision.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page