Mothering Forum banner

Questions! Anterior placenta? Vbac?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  kim_nz 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I read here more then post, but I am planning a HBA2c in August with a midwife who is also a doctor. (She has been a midwife since the 70's, went to med school in the 90's and runs a holstic family practice now, doing homebirths on the side
)

I had to get my appendix out last week, oh fun! I went to the ER and we didnt know what was wrong with me, so of course they did ultrasound (but I still didnt find out what the baby was, although I SO could have, GO ME!). I KNEW I had a anterior placenta because of not feeling the baby move this late in the game (I was 19 weeks and some days). I told the doctor before the ultrasound I had a anterior placenta and as soon as she put the machine on me, she said it and looked at me and said "How did you know that!?" I read alot *grins*.

Anyways, she told me it was NOT previa, and was quite far from being previa, and would move up even further during pregnancy. This is good news for me whooo hooo.

I called my midwife and she said not a problem. This is good too.

My question is though, are you supposed to vbac with a anterior placenta? Has anyone here ever done it? Is this safe? Especially at home? I mean, I am going to be takng risks doing it at home anyway, but is this over the top? I thought there was a risk that it was on the scar tissue? Is this a risk? Thanks for any info you can give me!

See less See more
#2 ·
The risk is if it is previa.

On the scar it is less of a concern, there are complications that can be involved with the placenta on the scar like accreta (that is very rare and a m/w will transfer you for that) or the placenta might adhere to the scar (the m/w can manually remove it) but in many cases it doesn't cause problems.

You can always call and double check with them about location from scar, they might have written it down but your m/w can use a doppler to guage location as well.

An anterior placenta in itself is not a concern.

I have an anterior placenta that is high and I am planning a HBAC

#5 ·
Oh ya....I'm 19 weeks and I dont really feel the baby move either. Sometimes very light light kicks that I can barley feel. But those come and I will only feel it once or twice a day. With my other two I felt full on movement by 17 and 18 weeks.

#7 ·
Anterior placenta is "just another variation of normal" as my midwife put it.
You may want to check if it is over your scar, though, as then there is an increased risk of the placenta not detaching properly after the birth.

And, ya, I did it.

g.

#8 ·
My vbac babe had an anterior placenta. It's actually not that uncommon in women who have had uterine surgery (like a c/s). The scar is a little "sticky" and can snag the placenta as it wanders about.

There is some data to suggest that an anterior placenta can contribute to a posterior babe so paying attention to fetal positioning (spinning babies, optimal fetal positioning, etc) can be a good idea...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.