Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Somerset County, NJ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All. This is my first post to the VBAC forum since I didn't even KNOW there was one until i saw someone talk about it on my due date club! I have a 3yo who was born via C-section b/c she was breech. We did try everything possible for weeks to get her to turn - Webster technique, boards, version, etc. Didnt work and went into labor at 38 weeks - rushed into C-section. So I'm now 9 weeks pregnant with #2 and just met with my midwife for the first time on THursday. I felt so happy because I am able to go back to the practice that I had my dd with since they now accept our insurance again. She decided immediately I was a good candidate for VBAC since my dd was only breech BUT there are some terms that come along with it. My midwives only work with one doctor as their back-up (same guy who delivered my dd) and his rule is he doesn't like a VBAC candidate to go over 41 weeks. I had the same issue with that doctor regarding breech births and I fought like hell to get my scheduled section closer to 2 weeks overdue (so I could pray longer that she's be flipped by the time i went into labor) - which didn't happen anyway. Didn't win that fight, they still had me scheduled for a week before (I showed them by going into labor even earlier - ha!)
So, basically my options are (per my midwife):
1. wait out til 41 weeks and if the baby is not here, I get a C-section (not what I want obviously). no option of induction at this point since she says my doctor believes you then have a higher rate of rupture after C-section when being induced at that point.
2. at week 40, they do a "gentle induction" (still drugs) so i have a better chance of vaginal (is that really a better chance??)
3. hope like hell that this baby comes 2 weeks early like ella and that it all goes smoothly... (this really isn't an option as much as a wish)
With that being said, I really like this practice so this leaves me in a bad spot. I've had all these issues with spotting and bleeding over the past 4 weeks and they have been great. I call, they call me right back.. they work with me to go to labs and ultrasounds near my house cause they're far away from my house. They know who I am and remember everything I went through with Ella and it's more like a personal relationship. I love that there is ONE receptionist, ONE nurse and a midwife there during the day and they know who you are when you call. I love that when i was bleeding horribly the other day, my midwife made it a point to say if it gets any worse please call me so I can talk you through it. But, uggh! I almost feel like this really isn't a VBAC option - maybe a 60% VBAC option.
There is another doctor in the area that I went to for my last annual that does VBAC's - a couple of my girlfriends have used him with success.. he even let one try a VBA2C last year. Of course, it's a bigger practice with less of a warm, fuzzy feeling. I guess I have to decide what I want more.. more time to try or a practice I love.. AHH!
homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)