Outcome poll - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Which best describes your situation?
Trama during labor ending in a c/s birth. Baby did not suffer any lasting problems. 19 24.68%
Trama during labor ending in a c/s birth. Baby did suffer lasting problems 3 3.90%
No trama during labor but ended in a c/s birth. Baby did not suffer any lasting problems. 45 58.44%
No trama during labor but ended in a c/s birth. Baby did suffer lasting problems. 2 2.60%
I just wanted to vote. 8 10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-15-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just curious about everyone's experiences. I had a very traumatic labor ending in a c/s. I had planned a gentle, water birth but things went south due to interventions at the birth center (which was located inside the hospital). Anyway, my son suffered from sever reflux and delayed gastric emptying. We only breast feed, but it was a challenge due to all his issues. Thankfully I am stubborn and we were able to work through the issues and he is still breast feeding at 5 months. During my labor they had put me on so much pitocin that his heart rate bottomed out causing him to pass meconium. My water broke before labor (was clear) so I am positive that he passed the meconium during the labor trauma. I have been reading a lot about birth trauma causing stomach issues so I wanted to take a poll. Thanks for participating!
#2 of 21 Old 07-15-2008, 08:09 PM

I voted for the last option ("i just wanted to vote") because I wasn't even given a choice - I had a scheduled c/s at 39 weeks for breech presentation and never even went into labor. So... no trauma, no lasting effects on the baby, just disappointment all around. Now I have a fabulous VBAC under my belt and I feel so much happier!!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#3 of 21 Old 07-15-2008, 09:25 PM

Are you asking about VBAC attempt births? Or all births we've had?

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

#4 of 21 Old 07-15-2008, 09:39 PM

Babe had no trauma before or after the birth, but he was OP (occiput posterior) and wasn't coming out thanks to the crappy position I was in. This was written as "failure to descend" in my records, but if you ask the MW who attended, it's because my pelvis is crap.
#5 of 21 Old 07-15-2008, 09:53 PM

I didn't know exactly how to vote, but I voted for the first option and I feel like I have to explain it. My labor itself was not traumatic, but what WAS traumatic was the fact that I was only at 28 weeks gestation when I went into labor. I actually had a very gentle, med-free, intervention-free labor up until my water broke. Because my labor was so pre-term, Callie had plenty of room to move and rotate and she changed positions several times while I was laboring. She started vertex, at one point she was footling breech and when my water broke she was transverse. One leg came out and after a failed attempt to deliver her other leg, it was decided that we needed to head to the OR. I'm not sure if it was because I was in the pushing phase while she was stuck, or if there were signs of distress (at that point everything became fuzzy to me and all I could think about was trying not to push and fear of the surgery) but we ended up with a crash cesarean with a classical cut and general anesthesia. Neither my husband or myself were able to be present to witness Callie's birth. That part was traumatic!!!! I still haven't emotionally recovered from my surgery. It has been quite a struggle for me to work past it.
#6 of 21 Old 07-16-2008, 01:21 PM

Other.

I had a planned c-section because my first was breech. It was standard protocol at the time and I wasn't offered anything different and didn't know to search for other opinions.

So I didn't labor at all.

dd was taken early though, around 36 weeks, because I was starting to dilate without labor. She wasn't ready though and had breathing issues. The treatment for the breathing problems led to oral aversion and eating issues that lasted for her first two years.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#7 of 21 Old 07-16-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
Other.

I had a planned c-section because my first was breech. It was standard protocol at the time and I wasn't offered anything different and didn't know to search for other opinions.

So I didn't labor at all.
Me too.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#8 of 21 Old 07-16-2008, 04:35 PM

I used "wanted to vote" as "other" since none of the choices seemed to match.

DD1- loooooooong back labor, OP/asynclitic babe, ending in c/s. It was emotionally traumatic but physically dd1 was fine and I had a c/s to recover from. Back labor sux but I don't know if it counts as "trauma".

dd2- VBAC! Labor was fine and totally normal, but dd2 got stuck at the end. A true shoulder dystocia which meant dd2 needed to be ressus'd and I needed hundreds of sutures to close the 4th degree tear. So an ideal water labor, supported birth ending in an emotionally healing but all round physically traumatic vaginal birth.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#9 of 21 Old 07-16-2008, 06:21 PM

im confused about the Q.

i had 2 c/s's both for "failure to wait" (on OB's part) and then a successful VBAC w/ no trauma to me or baby.
#10 of 21 Old 07-17-2008, 05:26 PM

I have had 2 sections. My answer was based on the first one, which was more traumatizing than the second. My daughter was born not breathing due to her getting anesthetic without my being intubated for about 15- 20 min. She almost died. She was rushed off to the NICU, where she spent her first week and a half. On her third day, she had a seizure that lasted over an hour and was put on phenobaritol. It was on this day her father and I were told that she would be "mild to moderately retarded" (best- case scenario). She never nursed, but I pumped for a year. She is almost 5 now and is doing great. The only problem she seems to have is barely noticeable; she holds her left leg and arm in towards her body when she runs and has trouble kicking a soccer ball. We were very lucky. This was very traumatic but it has a happy ending.
#11 of 21 Old 07-17-2008, 05:27 PM

Congratulations to PassionateWriter; I someday hope to have a HBA2C. Hearing that other people have succeeded really helps me feel better about things.
#12 of 21 Old 07-23-2008, 02:43 PM

I, like a pp, used "wanted to vote" as other, because I didn't labor at all, although I consider my experience traumatic. I didn't get a chance to labor. My OB admitted me when I was 35 weeks, 2 days for pre-eclampsia. (An aside, DH and I don't think it *was* pre-e) Started Cervidol, after 3 days I hadn't dialated much (1 1/2 cm), so she told us "We can either start pitocin, or schedule a c-section, but the pitocin won't work, so we should go ahead and schedule the section." DH and I didn't know what to do except for she said "... the pitocin won't work..." so we "choose" a c-section. Knowing then what I know now, I wouldn't have agreed.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#13 of 21 Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM

no trauma, but a c/s - we knew baby was breech, I insisted on going into labour instead of scheduling, wrong dr. on call, labour went perfectly (only 75 min 1st stage!) and baby was cut out while my body was trying to push her out. stupid.
#14 of 21 Old 07-23-2008, 05:21 PM

I had labor and a c-section for breech, no trauma, no problems with baby.
#15 of 21 Old 07-24-2008, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Didn't vote, but my dd1 was a long, relatively uneventful labor ending in c/s for late decels + starvation and exhaustion of the mother. Dd had difficulty latching for several weeks. She would latch, then pull off crying, repeatedly, until she fell asleep. Several LCs were of no help. They just kept telling me, "You need to relax. . . or get a Boppy (I had one.) . . . or use a different position . . . etc. . . ." I would certainly have given up bfeeding if she had been willing to take a bottle. Finally I told an LC that it seemed she didn't want anything in her mouth. She would only take the tip of the nipple. The LC suggested she may have had trauma in the mouth at birth. I'm pretty sure that was it.

She eventually became a normal nurser, maybe 6 weeks. She was always very spitty and barfy, probably had reflux but not bad enough that the MD thought it needed treatment.

Dd2 was a perfect mellow labor and vbac birth, no trauma, nursed like a pro the first time, wasn't spitty but did barf a lot. Again, MD thought probably reflux but said if it didn't average more than 1 barf/day it was okay to wait it out.
#16 of 21 Old 07-25-2008, 08:55 AM

I voted "trauma during labor, baby no lasting problems". I think the birth was very traumatic emotionally- so much so that I never want to go near another OB while I'm pregnant again. Physically, I suppose it wasn't traumatic. SROM at 37 weeks, put on pit. immediately upon arrival at hospital, 12 hours later @ 6 cm dilated, labeled FTP and sectioned at 9:30 on a Saturday night. Breastfeeding and bonding were totally sabatoged, which I suppose might have led to long term psychological problems for DS, but none I can see.

Second pregnancy I had an HBAC. Beautiful 7 hour labor. No trauma or lasting problems.

CNM mama.

#17 of 21 Old 07-25-2008, 01:24 PM

I think by "trauma during labor" you meant something related to the baby's vitals dropping? There was a little worry during my c/s labor, because when my water broke it was a bit greenish, but he never had any decels or anything; the c/s was because he got stuck posterior/asynclitic during pushing.

So I voted "no trauma/no lasting problems," because that's how it seemed to me, but I wasn't entirely sure if I was using terms correctly.

Nealy
mama to T, 5; L, 2; and EDD 12/20/08
#18 of 21 Old 07-25-2008, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CS due to worsening preeclampsia, no time to induce (I would have needed prostaglandin ripening). No trauma, baby was fine.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#19 of 21 Old 07-25-2008, 03:52 PM

Another "other" here so I piicked the "just wanted to vote" option. No labor, coerced c/s for "suspected fetal macrosomia". Ds is now 3 yrs old and never really seemed to suffer any ill effects - at least not that I can ascertain. I suffered plenty of emotional trauma afterwards that I still struggle with at times even after the most amazing hbac with dd.
#20 of 21 Old 07-25-2008, 11:45 PM

My C/S was mostly because I was exausted (to the max) and the doc didn't seem willing to wait for me to get some energy back. I think if they had let me go about an hour only pushing enough to be comfortable I could have pushed DS out but they kept insisting on an all out effort. DS was doing fine so the doc should have had some patience.
No trauma (except emotional for me) to either of us.
#21 of 21 Old 07-25-2008, 11:52 PM

I had a planned c/s due to my DS's birth defects. My doctors weren't entirely sure what was wrong with him so they scared me into having a c/s. Obviously, if I knew then what I know now, I would have had a homebirth! But I was a scared, 19yo first-time mommy.

Anyway, I never even experienced labor at all, obviously, so there was no trauma. No tummy problems at all, but we had a very, very hard time BF'ing... but I think that had more to do with the fact that we were in a hospital, period, and not just the c/s itself (my nurses were very pushy with the formula and tube-fed him without my consent).

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page