Is VBAC all it's cracked up to be anyway? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 08-04-2008, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My VBAC was the most amazing moment of my life. It was everything I expected and more. I rode that high for months! I am so glad that I was able to experience it. I hope you can too. It really is a truly empowering experience, especially after a bad previous birth experience. Good luck!
#32 of 47 Old 08-04-2008, 11:40 PM

Yeah, I'll say it: my VBAC sucked. My c/s sucked, too, don't get me wrong. My c/s was more difficult emotionally (unplanned after lots of labor), but my VBAC recovery was more difficult physically and I was not ready for it at all. My daughter was born at home but her elbow gave me a nasty tear that required a hospital transfer for suturing. She went all Amy Winehouse on me! My recovery was horrifying; it was much worse and much longer than that of my surgery. Blech.

Thankfully, I'm an exception and most women have wonderful VBAC experiences.
#33 of 47 Old 08-05-2008, 03:01 AM

Life changing, empowering, transformative, healing, hard, challenging, trust restoring, energizing, amazing, unbelievable, kick-butt, fantastic, stunning, and the most amazing thing I will EVER do in my entire life! I can do anything! I now believe I truly can!

Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#34 of 47 Old 08-05-2008, 03:19 AM

My VBAC was in a hospital, and I credit my OB for making my VBAC happen. We were at a critical point. Lots of pushing, and the baby wasn't budging. At all. My OB offered to do a vacuum extraction--that despite the fact that they wouldn't normally offer it to a VBAC patient he was damned confident that it was doing to work. And he knew how much I did NOT want a repeat C-section and I sure has h*ll did not want an epidural. I told him to go for it, and we did it. I got my VBAC, and 40 internal stitches for my effort. LOL

I agree with PP, if you want a hospital VBAC find a doc who is pro-VBAC. My practice was and they did everything they could to make my VBAC happen.

VBAC mamma of two little Vikings
#35 of 47 Old 08-13-2008, 09:55 PM

Recovery was easier with my csection than my HBAC due to a tailbone that got popped out of place during delivery. That was the pits for a while. Otherwise, the euphoria and pride experienced after my HBAC was beyond compare. There is nothing like it. That being said, I moved on from my csection without a teary eye. I'd probably just get over it if it didn't work out and chalk it up to "it is what it is".

amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#36 of 47 Old 08-14-2008, 10:59 AM

Like so many others on this thread, my HBAC was absolutely "all it's cracked up to be". It was amazing, empowering, and life-changing. I *never* imagined it could be as perfect as it was. From the beginning I had a midwife who truly believed in my body's power and ability to birth my baby. That was the #1 thing for me. I never had to "fight" for my vbac as others did because I never once saw an OB. I surrounded myself with positive people, supportive stories, and never lost sight of the goal. River's birth changed my life, my view of myself, and my view of my marriage. Did it hurt, YES!!! It hurt! But I'd do it again tomorrow. Best of luck mama!

Emily, WOHM to Joshua (05) River (08) HBAC,  Rylee (09) HBAC and Levi (coming 8/11) planning another HBAC 

#37 of 47 Old 08-14-2008, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajenkatt View Post
I got my VBAC, and 40 internal stitches for my effort. LOL
Ouch!!! That's a detail that I definitely don't want to think about!!!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#38 of 47 Old 08-14-2008, 02:27 PM

I had a failed VBAC. However, it was sooooo worth it to try. I have no regrets and no what-ifs. It did make the c-section recovery harder by all that hard laboring and an extra night with no sleep due to labor. It did add pain as I tried for a med-free natural birth and had hard contractions for quite a long time. But I know I gave it my all. Whatever gets a healthy baby out the safest way is what I vote for - and usually that is a vaginal birth. Often, you don't know which way it is until you try.

If you decided to go directly to a repeat c-section, you may be second guessing yourself wondering if you should have done things differently. Despite the extra pain, it was so worth it to have a failed VBAC than to not try a VBAC for me. There are cases where vaginal births are more difficult than c-sections. But in general, vaginal births are safer and easier. There will always be exceptions. It's all about benifts vs risks - no one knows exactly what will happen in their case until all is done with. But having no regrets was very important to me. And I don't!
#39 of 47 Old 08-14-2008, 10:22 PM

My HBAC was wonderful. I was excited to finally go into labor (1st birth was an induction, 2nd a planned c/s) and experience normal ctx. I had her in the water, in my bedroom, surrounded by people I liked. I walked to the bathroom after I got out of the tub. I showered within an hour or so. so much better than a c/s.

However, I do have a compication - a cystocele (prolapsed bladder) that is a huge PITB. It brought me down right after birth because I felt like I should have felt much better much quicker. It still bothers me occassionally at 3.5m PP but its a good reminder to do my kegels.

But in the end, even with the prolapse, the 2nd degree tear, the pain of the ctx, the pain of pushing...it was all worth it.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#40 of 47 Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 PM

Here is my short answer: TOTALLY worth it.
Here is my long answer, which will explain why::

I had a horrible first birth, typical first time mom hospital thingy that turned into a c section for basically no reason. Then I had massive complications from the c/s, hemmoraged twice, needed several units of blood, almost had a d & c, and couldn't take care of my newborn baby who had to have formula for 2 weeks while I pumped till my nippled bled. He was 3 weeks old and our friends and family had to take care of him because I was so sick.

I did not really start to process it until I was pregnant with our second, at which point all HECK broke loose emotionally and I realized what it had really meant to me, that I second guessed myself as a mother at every turn as a result of subconciously feeling like I 'failed' at birth, and not being able to take care of baby afterward. I felt like I couldn't trust myself to mother at all.

I did a TON of soul work, I laughed, I cried, I read, I talked, I shouted, I wrote and drew and fought to get to a place where my VBAC was possible. It was hard work. I basically spent my whole pregnancy taking care of myself & my fetus & my toddler & working trying to align everything perfectly for my VBAC.

I had a quick second labor after weeks of predomal labor, and had the baby at home unassisted (accidentally though I think I knew it all along in my soul it would be that way), and my first words were "that was SO MUCH FUN!" said to my husband (who caught the baby) beaming. It was wonderful. It was worth it and then beyond worth it a billion times. Words aren't enough to describe. I tore a little, which hurt for MONTHS. My tailbone hurt so bad that I could barely sit (combined with my tear) for weeks. That stuff was NOTHING compared to how much better it was emotionally,mentally, spiritually. I felt connected to my VBAC baby right away, I feel like we had know each other a long, long time. I felt like all lines were open for communication between us. While I love my first son & would not trade him for anything (and am grateful for the rough C/S birth with him because it taught me HOW IMPORTANT BIRTH IS), I did not have that off the bat with him.

My VBAC freed me to become anyone I want to be. It made me into a stronger, more confident woman. It reassured me to trust myself with my mothering instinct. It was this turning point in my life. It was so fricking awesome it swept over the pain left from the Csection and almost a year later has let THAT become just 'something that happend' "something I have a scar from" instead of letting it destroy a part of me with the power it initally took from me & the pain & shame it left in its place. It was like night and day. It was like saying to my section, 'screw you, you are not going to take that from me, you are not going to mess with me for the rest of my life. you happened, as s--t happens, but that was a ONE TIME THING.' that was one of the amazing things. I had a section and everyone assumed I just couldn't have a baby, that the section had spoken for that. I assumed that it was a circumstanial fluke and I could have as many babies normally as I wished, given the right environment, which I FOUGHT for my whole pregnancy. It was nothing short of pure triumph to feel my body birthing my second son.

But, ya know, that's just me.
#41 of 47 Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 PM

PS> To sum it up, it was HEALING. It was exactly what I needed and I am so grateful and thankful that I got to experience BIRTH!!! as it was meant to be & I def. have a much better appreciation of my body now too, won't go into all the specifics, but yeah....
#42 of 47 Old 08-17-2008, 12:26 PM

My VBAC was amazing. I couldn't have asked for a more healing birth. The c-bith and the VBAC just didn't compare. However, after having the VBAC if I did need a cesarean again it wouldn't be so hard......
#43 of 47 Old 08-17-2008, 01:12 PM

I already answered this thread but will again since I had a 2nd vbac on August 5th......Yup....vbac IS all it is cracked up to be!! Even though this birth was harder than my first vbac, it was even more satisfying than the first vbac. It took longer, and was a bit more painful and tiring because I was stuck at 8-9cm for 2 hours (the cord was wrapped around his leg and he had troubel descending) but I was very proactive with the OBS/nurses and felt in control for the first time. All final decisions were up to me not them. I felt like I actually birthed myself and it wasnt the OBS birthing for me (not saying anything against c/s here but how I felt with it). Even if I had had to have a c/s this time ( I came very, very close, trust me) I still would have been satisfied because at least this time, I would know I did my absolute best to birth my baby.
#44 of 47 Old 08-17-2008, 02:54 PM

1st DD, unplanned c/s:

Pros: didn't have to worry about healing from tear/episiotomy.
Cons: difficult for me to heal from (very painful the first 2 wks, the 1st being the worst); I don't do well with pain meds. Took me til the 6 wk pp check up to get more energy

2nd DD, VBAC:

Pros: felt so incredible afterwards, no words to describe the joy. Had much more energy. Didn't hurt to get out of bed. Healed much more quickly
Cons: had a 2nd degree tear that healed funny and had to get repaired (took a 1 week or two to heal from that)

I don't know if there is "an answer" to your ?; every pregnancy/birth is different, but hope these replies help
#45 of 47 Old 08-17-2008, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it really depends on how your section went, tbh. I'm really angry over the care I received when I was pregnant, but the section itself, not particularly. At the time they made the decision to cut, it was the only choice. The things that could have stopped it would have had to have been done days before. (If they'd caught it earlier they could have induced me, but it was too late for that.) If you were really sick (I found out later that I was, and that I should never have been allowed to just walk out of my 36wk appointment with a cheery "see you at 40 weeks") then you have a kind of peace with a section that a mama with an unnecessary or iffy section never has. I had preeclampsia. The docs couldn't have prevented it and the only way to stop it was to deliver the baby. So I just don't have that kind of blame or anger to recover from. I did, but getting my hospital records and talking about it with my doctor changed that. Once I knew it was truly necessary, and that the faceless, nameless consultant OB who decided to cut me was right... I couldn't have the same anger. Knowing meant a lot.

So, although my section sucked most hugely and I do not want to repeat it, I don't think I can have that kind of healing experience from the birth itself, because that wasn't so traumatic for me. I could very peacefully have a repeat, if I knew it were truly necessary, that my care had been right.

Now, I haven't VBAC'ed yet so perhaps the act of birth will be transformative, but I don't think so (I know myself). I think that having an entirely different pregnancy experience (and birth/hospital experience) will be a huge thing for me, but not so much the vaginal/CS thing.

I am NOT suggesting that VBAC isn't huge for a lot of mamas or that other women should feel the way I do. Just that if you've come to terms with your section, and have that certainty/rightness/peace, VBAC has a different significance.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#46 of 47 Old 08-18-2008, 01:13 PM

I just had a VBAC and I really think it is all that it is cracked up to be. I had a MUCH easier recovery - both emotionally and physically with my VBAC. For me, it was a good choice to VBAC.
#47 of 47 Old 08-18-2008, 02:20 PM

Recovery was much better with a VBAC (although there was still pain, it was just perineal rather than abdominal, and not quite so disabling). I'm happy it happened, it was nice to be the first to hold my baby and not to have post-surgical pain. But it wasn't life-changing or anything. I'm still the same person, the same mom, I don't love one baby any more or differently than the others, breastfeeding was the same. And as time goes on, I think about all of their births less often and less vividly, especially since I'm not planning another birth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page