Is VBAC all it's cracked up to be anyway? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those who have successfully had a VBAC, are there any negatives to it?

I've only had an unplanned/unwanted c/s, and for my second baby one day, I'd like a drug-free, midwife birth at home. However, just in case this could not happen...I was trying to cheer myself up and think "maybe having a VBAC isn't all it's cracked up to be anyway?" and that once you have had a c/s and then a vbac, you can say something like, "yeah, there is pain with both" or "pain was worse with a c/s" or "pain was worse with a vaginal birth" or whatever.

I'd love to hear your stories and/or comparisons, if you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts.
#2 of 47 Old 07-25-2008, 10:45 PM

I had a good c/s and a horrible vbac. But my vbac was in a hospital with a lot of interventions, so of course it was horrible! lol! The healing process was way better with my vbac birth because it wasn't major abdominal surgery. Emotionaly, I was traumatized by the medical establishment, so yep, you bet there are some drawbacks. But for me, the main thing is safety. And vaginal birth is just safer in an uncomplicated pregnancy (and a scar does not constitute complicated. It's scary that surgeons don't trust their own work...but that's another thread. lol.). With the high risks of staff infection and other nasties that can occur with any type of surgery, I really don't want to put myself or my baby at that risk when it really isn't necessary. It's just a matter of weighing the risks and benifits in your own situation, because everyone is different.

I'm planning a vaginal birth with this baby due in November, possibly at home even. I'm staying pretty positive, because I know I'm doing what's best for me and my baby in my situation.

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
#3 of 47 Old 07-25-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutInstinct View Post

I've only had an unplanned/unwanted c/s, and for my second baby one day, I'd like a drug-free, midwife birth at home. However, just in case this could not happen...I was trying to cheer myself up and think "maybe having a VBAC isn't all it's cracked up to be anyway?" and that once you have had a c/s and then a vbac, you can say something like, "yeah, there is pain with both" or "pain was worse with a c/s" or "pain was worse with a vaginal birth" or whatever.

I'd love to hear your stories and/or comparisons, if you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts.

my vbac was MORE than it was cracked up to be. MUCH MORE. my son and i were healthier and much happier afterwards than either my first two children or me w/ teh first c/s's.

the pain was worse, the risks were greater, my babies did not do as well as my vbac, etc. etc. etc.

having said this, i would NEVER attempt a vbac in a hospital in the current birth climate. way too risky for me and my baby. of course, thats not everyone but thats me.

ill be having my 2nd vbac this oct. I am hoping its even better than the one 2 years ago.
#4 of 47 Old 07-25-2008, 11:17 PM

I had two c-sections and a non-chemically induced hospital vba2c. I won't pretend that my vbac was all moonlight and roses (if you wish, click on the vbac icon in my sig and it links to my story) but that was mostly because i had to birth in the hospital with all the rules and nonsense that that entails.

The positives: it was absolutely amazing to watch my little boy come out of my body and to hold him right out of my womb. Even though i tore a little and had hemorrhoids, the recovery was phenomenally easier. It made such a difference to be able to sit up on my own and just to recover from birth, instead of surgery.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#5 of 47 Old 07-25-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutInstinct View Post

With my c/s, I was separated from my dd1 for hours and even 3 days in hospital I had to keep asking them to take her to the nursery which I swore I would never do. I couldnt pick her up for 2 days until I begged for morphine. It took me 4 months to recover from the pain, and I couldnt even pick her up for 2 weeks without pain meds and almost was not able to bf
Even though certain things happened (arguing and invasive internal) with my vbac in the hospital mainly due to a : resident who kept trying to intimidate me into having an epidural and c/s (for nothing I might add) my vbac was everything I had dreamed it would be. I was able to hold my dd2 for one hour before she was examined, kept her with me in my room(except at the beginning due to meconium) and it took me one week to recover (maybe TM!I but the pain in my butt from the stitches and the first bowel movement was hell and I remember saying it was as bad as a c/s which I take back totally). I was home less than 12 hours later. To be honest, I found the pain of labor to be less than the pain after my c/s but that will be different for everyone. I actually had the nurses and dr (not the stupid resident...she left the room in embarrassment) get emotional when I held my dd2 in my arms looked at her and said "I did it! My body is NOT a lemon!!!!!".
Anyway, the main negative I found with vbac was fighting for the right to have a vbac to begin with kwim? I was in transition when I got to the hospital and the resident was very argumentative about giving me an epidural and wanting to do a c/s. I had to yell at her that I was refusing an epidural and a c/s unless there was a real medical emergency. She also refused to remove her hand when I was having contractions. I have talked about this with my ob who was not on call that night and I know what I have to do next time to avoid that crap. I was in labor a total of 5 1/2 hours including 28 minutes of pushing and they still wanted to do a c/s for no reason. The senior ob did stick up for me though and the resident was inexperienced I think. I am due in late August and I plan to vbac again and have also learned from my first vbac. The only way I will ever have a c/s again is a true emergency.

I forgot to add something.....dd1 (c/s) cried the whole time in hospital and was frantic even at home with us and had to be in constant contact. DD2 (vbac) was totally different.......I kept checking her during my night in hospital to make sure she was still breathing she was so quiet...not a whimper or anything. I noticed that the c/s baby in the next bed was frantic just like Yasmeen was. I dont know if that was due to the different birth experiences or what. I just thought it was interesting the contrast with regards to how calm baby was.
#6 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the same feelings sometimes when I'm planning my future VBAC. What is the big deal afterall? (Although I know it's the woman's right and would never insist on another c/s) I've found it's especially worse when I read horror VBAC/UR stories, but I feel like I have to read them anyways to give myself a balanced perspective, KWIM?

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#7 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 01:44 AM

I had a horrible section that left me with a wonderfully healthy baby boy and an intense case of post traumatic stress disorder.

As I was planning my vbac I had moments of "maybe vaginal birth isn't all that it is cracked up to be"

well almost 6 months ago I delivered my daughter into my own arms after 37 hours of labor and it was the single most amazing moment of my life...

I had a hospital birth with an amazing doc who also trained with midwives and practices the midwifery model of care...my labor was painful, it was long (24 hours at home and 13 hours in hospital), I had an epidural so I could rest and have the energy to push my baby out (I was blessed with a walking epidural so I was able to still have mobility..pushed squatting and kneeling)

and I am a fuller, wholler, more powerful, confident, joyful, peaceful person because my daughter came out of my vagina...

Yes Yes YEs resoundingly yes vbacing is all that it is cracked up to be...that said it is not for everyone and I would encourage your educate yourself and make sure you release all potential fear you may have around it before your go into a labor

and find an amazing doula to support you....

good luck mama and I hope you find the peace I now feel
#8 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 01:58 AM

I've had a vbac and it was awesome. I am now 37 weeks and planning a ubac. I will NEVER let myself be abused like that again!!!! It was a FORCED section. Go to the ican website. They have lots of info. I really think you would be missing out if you did not go for it.
#9 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
yep, it was all and more for me. My home vba2c was the most empowering event of my life. I do however acknowledge that a vbac could be traumatic just as any other birth could be if the care provider did not trust birth or the women and screwed with the natural process of it. Lots of friends I know have had "vaginal" births that became very traumatic and sometimes I think my cs's were not as bad as what they went thru. I wish you the most awsome empowered vbac in the world!
#10 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 02:11 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble buts its all its cracked up to be and more.

I had a c-section the first time and a hbac the second time. I didn't realize how terrible I felt after my planned (breech) c-section until I had a natural birth.

When I had the c-section I hadn't labored but I felt just beat up from the inside out. I had by all accounts a perfect c-section with a good doctor. I wasn't distressed by it at all or even disappointed at the time because I was uneducated about the benefits of natural birth. I had a very good and quick recovery for a c-section too. I went home earlier than normal and weaned from my drugs earlier than normal.

But compared to the VBAC it was terrible! The VBAC was empowering and I felt present for the entire experience. I loved participating and pulling my own baby out of the water. I felt chipper and aware afterwards. My recovery was so much faster and I felt more like myself in hours and days instead of weeks and months.

I would suggest you do everything in your power to have a VBAC especially an HBAC.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#11 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 11:22 AM

My VBAC was amazing. I have never felt so proud of myself in my entire life. I felt in control and almost powerful. To have such trust and faith in my body is a wonderful thing.

My c-section was probably better than most. I had a super easy recovery. I just do not think that most babies were meant to be born that way.

I had my VBAC in a hospital with no interventions. I progressed so fast that it just want not warrented to intervene. I went from 5 centimeter to baby in my hand in 15 minutes. I loved that I could hold her and nurse her right away.

I had a second degree tear but I would VBAC again in a heartbeat.
#12 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 11:38 AM

I am so greatful for my VBAC in so many ways and for so many reasons and it was worth every bit of fight I had to go thru to get it. I switched from my CNM's office at 25 weeks and planned a HBAC. Everything went great with my pregnancy and I felt such a releif to not be dealing with the medical world and thier fear based policies, I felt such a peace about having my baby at home the way God intended. Turns out my baby was posterior and after 24 hours of off and on labor and another 18 hours after my water breaking, my CPM recommended transfering to the hospital because I had slight merconium staining. I was heartbroken and assumed that there would be no way possible for me to have a VBAC. I was surprised how devastating this was to me. We went in prepared to fight tooth and nail to get a VBAC. It was a long hard road. The hospital was surprisingly understanding and we got an awsome supportive OB oncall andreally wonderful nurses. I labored another 24 hours at the hospital before finally getting an epidural and a small ammount of pitocin. Three hours later my baby girl was born vaginally and I reached down, put my hands under her arms and pulled her up to my chest where she stayed! Unlike my c-section birth, I was the first person to hold her and look in her eyes. I was the one who got to introduce her to her big sisters instead of my family getting to whitness the meeting while I was in recovery. When I came home, I was able to lift my other children and care for them, instead of feeling horrible and needing others to help care for my children. It was such a beautiful healing expierience. It was worth every minute of the 50 some hours of labor and all the pain of back labor. Nothing went at all how I had planned or expected, but we had done all our research and surrounded ourselves with the support of close friends, family and a doula, and we were able to have a sucessful VBAC even under such bad circumstances. You just have to be ready to advocate for yourself and trust that you are doing the right thing for yourself, your baby and your family (no matter what scare tactics you may encounter). Not to say that it's 100% that you will be sucessful, but at least you will know you did everything you could. Peace and blessings to you for this journey!
#13 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Fay

I had a hospital VBAC w/EFM & IV, but no pain meds or Pitocin. It was even better than I imagined (even though my labor was 68.5 hours), and soooooooo much easier than my failed induction + c/s recovery. If I could do it again, I would do it at home w/midwife. I loved my VBAC, my most precious memory!

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#14 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 02:11 PM

I just had a VBAC at home 12 days ago. It was much harder than I anticipated, and during the last hour of pushing, I was so close to giving up and almost convinced that it wasn't worth it. But those feelings disappeared the minute my daughter was born. A VBAC is definitely worth it. It is worth making all kinds of efforts and sacrifices - to be able to feel that your body isn't "broken" and that it can work the way it was meant to; to be able to pick up and hold and care for your newborn from birth without being in so much pain; to be able to bond with your baby rather than waiting in a recovery room, feeling miserable and wondering when you will get to hold your child... I could go on and on, the differences are too many to list. The one thing that having had a VBAC makes me feel sad about is the realization of how much I unintentionally cheated my son, emotionally, in the early weeks of his life - I had to really work at bonding with him, while fighting off post-partum depression and ignoring all the *&(% people saying, "Well, at least you have a healthy baby" - even though his health was never in jeopardy at all.

There is pain with both, but for me, the pain from the section lasted much longer, and of course was accompanied by emotional pain that never completely goes away either. I would do everything in my power to try to have a VBAC rather than choose a repeat extraction.
#15 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 02:47 PM

I had a HBAC (midwife-assisted) 3.5 years ago and it was probably one of the most devestating, traumatic experiences of my entire life. I am about 23.5 weeks pregnant now and for the 1st several months of this pregnancy I couldn't decide whether I just wanted to schedule a repeat cesarean or try another VBAC. I decided to go ahead and plan another homebirth, but with a different MW and am hoping and praying that things will go better this time.

I think it is really cool that you asked this question and are open to hearing both sides... All I had heard about homebirth/VBAC when I was planning mine is how midwives are so much more supportive, encouraging, it is so empowering, blah blah blah, but MY midwife came to my home, told me I was not in labor and went to sleep on the couch until I started pushing. Then for my 2 hours of pushing she never said anything to me at all. No "good job", no "maybe you could try a different position", no "you're almost there", nothing. I tore, I hemmorhaged, I had pitocin, I had a catheter. It was horrible and NOT the gentle, beautiful birth that I always read about. I am still quite bitter about it obviously.

My MW this time tells me that there will be much more support during this next labor/birth, which is the only reason I am trying again. I guess I would also like to give myself one more chance to experience what so many other people seem to...

I think that if you surround yourself with the right people you can have an amazing experience though and would encourage you to do what you think is best for you.
#16 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 03:29 PM

I had two emergency cs and then a hospital vba2c. I had planned a hbac and a hba2c but transferred both times. Although my vba2c didn't end up being at home, it was still brilliant - I was only at the hospital for 20 mins before I gave birth and although the staff pressured me for a repeat cs, I didn't have any intervention.
I think what I wanted was a birth I *could* forget rather than a birth that went round and round my head non stop for years afterwards. I wanted to be able to put the birth to bed and enjoy my baby and that is what has happened. I'm not saying I don't think about the birth, I do and I enjoy thinking about it, but I feel complete about it, it's over. It has given me huge emotional freedom and that's priceless :
#17 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 03:40 PM

In my book, it's almost impossible to even compare a section to a vaginal birth. Worlds different.

I had one planned cesarean and two hospital VBACs. Next one will be a home VBAC w/ midwife. Would never ever choose a cesarean unless the baby was at REAL risk. I got to have my gooey sticky babies put on my belly w/ my VBACs, had amazingly shorter recovery time, babies were happier for it...All the stuff you hear about.

It is definitely all its cracked up to be, IMO.
#18 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 07:07 PM

My VBAC was an aboslutely amazing experience and it took place in a hospital. I do not birth at home. After my 1st experience having ended up with a c/s for no real reason I was devastated and felt broken for a very long time. After a year I found ICAN and began attending meetings before I was even pregnant.

I became pregnant with my 2nd baby while attending ICAN. Through the group I was able to find a care provider that was wonderfully supportive of VBAC and didn't view VBAC as high risk at all.

My birth was beautiful with no conflict during my birth. The nurses knew that I wanted a quiet room so they just left us and didn't interfere. They also knew I didn't want any residents, as I was at a teaching hospital. It was so great. At my 6 week check up, the doc said to me, "So was your recovery better this time around. " I just chuckled then he replied, "Yeah, I guess that's a stupid question."

Here's the thing: to have a successful VBAC I think the most important thing is finding a care provider that you are totally on board with. And a VBAC can happen at home or at the hospital. I think you have to search long and hard for a provider who you agree with and will honor your wishes and you sense a peace and trust with. My ICAN group had several ladies that went with the HB route or the hospital route. And the rate of success was amazing!!!

Find an ICAN group in your area and get involved as you process through these emotions. It will help tremendously!!!
#19 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 08:00 PM

I also had a scheduled c-section due to breech position and then 2 unmedicated VBACs in the hospital and my VBACs were so much easier, I got up on my own and walked to the bathroom after, got to take a shower, the baby stayed with me the whole time. The pain of labor was much easier to deal with than the weeks of pain after the c-section and feeling like I couldn't do anything. Plus, I couldn't imagine not being able to pick up and snuggle with my 2-year old after a section.

But here are what I see as the plusses of a repeat c-section:

- You get to pick the date and can line up babysitting -- this is especially important if you have small kids and don't have a close-by support network. One of the most stressful things for me coming close to my due date was what if I go into labor during the day and can't get in touch with my husband, or don't have anyone to watch my other kids. My only family close by for my third baby was my sister-in-law and she and her husband both work full-time so not always available. We had family flying in but I always had them come about 1 week after the due date just in case the baby was late, because I've heard of babies coming late and family basically misses the whole thing....

For my son's birth, we called my friend who was supposed to take my daughter at 11:00pm and they didn't answer the phone! Luckily we were able to find another friend, otherwise I almost thought I was going to have to get my doula to watch her while we went to the hospital! I guess this is not as much of an issue if you have a homebirth but if you are laboring during the day, you'd still need a separate childcare person in case the kids are awake.

- You know what to expect and when it will happen, and don't have to deal with days of prodromal labor, which I had with both of my VBACs, worse with the 3rd one. I actually had painful contractions on and off for several days, I actually went so far as to have my husband take the kids to my SILs because I thought "this was it" and then the contractions stopped. You'd think I'd know after one, but no...

- No worries about problems "down there." I didn't have any problems after my first vaginal birth but after the second, I've definitely noticed more problems with leaking pee. Also, I can't get a tampon to stay put unless it's the "super-sized" one. (OK, TMI, but you asked!). I guess I need to do more Kegel's. By comparison, people think you already have the scar and I guess it's not going to get worse, right. Mine healed pretty badly the first time, so my OB said if I did have another c-section they would cut out the old scar and it would hopefully look nicer.

Didn't mean to write a book, but hope this is somewhat helpful...
#20 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 09:32 PM

My vbac was all that and more and I am so glad that I went for the vbac!

I rested for about an 1.5 hours afterwards and then told the nurse I was ready to get up and go to the bathroom (they wanted to be there the first time I got up). I was walking very reluctantly at first b/c I remembered the pain of walking after my c-section. The nurse asked me if I was ok and all I could say was "yeah, I'm fine" and started crying. I was crying b/c I wasn't in any pain and I could walk to the bathroom by myself! I went home about 26 hours after he was born and went to Costco when he was three days old. I wasn't even out of the hospital when my DD was three days old. I took two advil and one percocet (I really didn't need it - it was taken in a moment of weakness during some afterpains). Even with an almost third degree tear, I didn't have hardly any pain.

I also think I ate more in three hours after DS was born that I did in three days after my DD was born. I quickly downed three turkey sandwiches, a bunch of graham crackers and juice. I asked my parents to pick up some Arby's for me on their way over to the hospital. Oh, and I ate and entire large package of Twizzlers (like the 1lb package, not the vending machine package). Ok, it's not the best food, but it was there. I'm sure there was more, but that's all I can remember at this time.

Although, the best part of my vbac was just how I felt mentally and emotionally afterwards. I swore I would never have another child after DD was born. It took me probably 3.5 years before I'd even think about having another child b/c I didn't want to have another c-section. I honestly thought "I don't ever want to do that again". It was a couple months after she turned 5 that I decided to just try for another child. After my DS was born, however, it was literally a couple hours later that I thought "Wow, that was incredible. When can I do that again?"

However, everyone's recovery is different, but most people I know say their vbac was better than their c-section. The only person I know IRL who says otherwise was a woman who ended up with a 4th degree tear (which is really a side effect/complication of vaginal birth and has nothing to do that the fact she was a vbac.) Though in hearing her story, there were lots of things that all could have contributed to that tear. I wouldn't blame it on the vbac - only on the the VB part, not the AC part.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#21 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 09:58 PM

My VBAC was everything I needed it to be.

My first was an emergency c-section following a failed induction due to pre-eclampsia. I needed to be induced, no arguments there. However, the OB badly mismanaged my labor; the c-section could have been avoided had any number of things been done differently.

For a myriad of reasons, I had to go back to the same clinic for my 2nd pregnancy, and was terrified that man would be on-call when I went into labor. But, I was able to talk to the head of the OB clinic and an on-staff midwife; they put in my chart in BIG red letters that he was NOT to see me for any reason, and that if he was on call when I showed up in labor, the mother baby unit was to call the midwife first, and the head OB 2nd. As it happened, I went into labor an hour after shift-change where evil OB went off-duty and wonderful midwife went on, so no one (except me!) lost sleep.

It was an amazing event. Natural contractions are a BREEZE compared to pit contractions. Plus I was able to move freely - I sat on a birth ball leaned over the bed, with my husband massaging my lower back. I did reach a point where I felt like I couldn't do it anymore, it was overwhelmingly intense, I wanted an epidural, c-section, anything that would get the baby OUT and make it STOP...so the midwife checked to see how far I was dilated to see what my options were, and basically told me to start pushing when I needed to because I was fully dilated. Hearing that I had progressed so quickly gave me the energy I needed to keep going, and my baby was in my arms less than 20 minutes later.

I still tear up thinking about Tori's birth. It was amazing; I really was on cloud nine. 4 months later, I can still feel the after-effects of the hormonal high...I would guess that all natural births have that hormonal high, but maybe c-section mamas don't get to experience it? I know I didn't feel anything like that after my first daughter's birth, and while I cried for months after Serenity's birth, they weren't happy tears.
#22 of 47 Old 07-26-2008, 10:49 PM

I'm a little bit different, I had 2 vag births, then my csection. Csection was much harder recovery.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#23 of 47 Old 07-27-2008, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are several things I would change if I could go back and do over my first birth, c/s. I think about it almost every day. (dd is 3.5.) In a metaphysical way I believe that everything happens as it should, but on a personal level I still think I could have so easily made a couple different decisions, and given my daughter a more peaceful, less frightening welcome to the world. Then the recovery. I had lingering abdominal pain for about 5 mos. Finally some body work helped. Plus undiagnosed ppd, which was related to the c/s, as my self-esteem and confidence were torn to shreds. I really felt incompetent to do the most simple things.

There is NOTHING I would change about my vbac. It was a perfect birth. (freestanding birth center!) Even as I labored, I never felt the pain was more than I could handle, till almost the end. It was so mellow, so right and so infused with respect and love from everyone around me. The recovery was hardly anything compared to the surgical recovery. Ibuprofen vs morphine then oxycoton. I was able to eat the placenta (yeah, I know!), which is not an option with surgical birth, and my emotional recovery was so much smoother. Even sex was more comfortable earlier than with the surgery, not what they tell you to expect, but that's how it was.
#24 of 47 Old 07-27-2008, 02:10 AM

I have had 5 VBACs!

VBACs ROCK!
#25 of 47 Old 07-27-2008, 03:20 AM

I would take vaginal birth over c/s any day. I had labor each time. (I had one c/s and two vbac). After the c/s, I would try to go as long as I could without a pain killer and once I timed my need at change of shift and suffered intensely for it. I also had gas that wouldn't come out and it hurt badly even though I was on strong pain killer for the c/s. And the recovery was long - after all, it is major abdominal surgery.

With my vbacs, I did not need pain meds after nor did I have the problem I had with the c/s meds of feeling horrible after I had taken them for several days yet feeling horrible trying to stop (withdrawal). With one vbac, the nurse wanted me to pee and I couldn't do it. Instead of catheterizing me, she gave me a pain killer. It was then that I realized that I was holding back the pee because I was still sore and afraid that peeing would hurt. But, in my experience, the soreness doesn't equal the pain of recovering from a c/s. I'm sure there are some who would prefer a planned c/s over labor, etc. I wouldn't.

But if you get another c/s after all you've done to avoid one, certainly don't beat yourself up for it. We do the best we can.
#26 of 47 Old 07-27-2008, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick's mummy View Post
I think what I wanted was a birth I *could* forget rather than a birth that went round and round my head non stop for years afterwards. I wanted to be able to put the birth to bed and enjoy my baby and that is what has happened. I'm not saying I don't think about the birth, I do and I enjoy thinking about it, but I feel complete about it, it's over. It has given me huge emotional freedom and that's priceless :
This is exactly what I'm hoping for this time around. I just want to hold my baby and enjoy getting to know her and not be so f!@$ed up about the birth trauma later on. So, to answer your original question, I don't really know yet from personal experience. Talk to me in 10 weeks
#27 of 47 Old 07-29-2008, 12:42 AM

Obviously everyone's experience is different, but my c/s was scheduled for breech presentation. I never even got to "do" labor. I was so disappointed in the whole experience (which went' just fine and was not traumatic - just disappointing) that I started planning my VBAC the day my surgery was scheduled.

Like many of us I think I probably built it up a little too much in my mind. Fortunately for me, my VBAC was amazing. It was such an empowering and healing experience to know that my body worked and that I could birth a baby all by myself. I'm SO glad I did it! Having a completely natural birth was the hardest thing I've ever done - and worth every minute of it. You can read my birth story in my link - it was really fabulous.

PLUS... I was feeling great the next day (I was a bit wiped the day of the birth - we pulled an all-nighter) - up and out for a walk, playing with my 2-year-old. I actually had several friends comment on the pictures of us right before leaving the hospital 36 hours after the birth, "you look WAY too good to have just had a baby". My c/s recovery was very fast since it was planned, but it doesn't COMPARE to a vaginal birth.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#28 of 47 Old 07-29-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick's mummy View Post
This is exactly why I want a hvbac for my last baby...We're not trying yet, but after having 2 CS (1st after 30 hours of a natural (failed) labor - too many forced interventions, 2nd because of know one willing to support me in my desire for a vbac) I just don't feel "complete." When we do try for our last, I want to be able to give myself the emotional satisfation of knowing that my body CAN do what it's supposed to...KWIM?

Crystal- aka "Momma" toLara Karlene 1-1-05 ~ Keira Skyler 1-31-07 ~ Rohnin Viper 8-12-09 & stork-suprise.gif March 2014!!!!

intactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#29 of 47 Old 07-30-2008, 12:26 AM

I needed this thread tonight. I had 5 vaginal births in the hospital. 4 of them had lots of interventions AROM, pitocin, epidurals, efm, even though they all went very smoothly. I never pushed more than 5 mins with any of them. My 5th had fewer interventions, but I was also lectured and ignored by a midwife I'd never met before. Then my 6th I wanted a homebirth. Planned a UC with my dr's support and ended up with a c-section for breech twins at 35 weeks. It was not a horrible experience. I didn't have complications, my babies were healthy and never left my side. But recovery was painful and longer and I didn't feel like I'd done anything. I felt separate from the experience. Now I'm planning a VBAC. The hospital is not supportive. The ob is in spite of having had a low vertical incision. If I had had a transverse incision I would be planning a UHBAC. My ob still wants me to labor at home as long as possible to avoid the pressure of the hospital staff. I'm having to mentally prepare myself for a fight. It's depressing that that is how I have to give birth to my last child, but my options are so limited. I don't have any anecdotal or researched stats on VBAC with vertical incisions. So I have to decide what I am comfortable with. I'm less than 2 weeks from delivering and I still don't know what to do. Everyone keeps asking why I'm going through all the stress and worry and secrecy when I could just schedule a c-section. It's because I want to give birth again. To me pushing your child into this world is such an incredible amazing feeling and I don't want to miss out on it again.
#30 of 47 Old 08-04-2008, 01:12 AM

My HBAC was everything I thought it would be and more. I had a rough time in the transition from one child to two - mostly due to the fact that my husband couldn't take very much time off of work (He ended up taking a total of three days - thankfully dd was born on a Friday) - I can't even imagine how I would have ever been able to do it while recovering from major surgery.

The only sad part about it is that I really do wish with all my heart that ds and I could have had the same experience instead of the c/s I ended up with. I would have another VBAC again in a heartbeat!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page