MW requires cfm/iv? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 09-13-2008, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First, "normal birth" could easily have been referring simply to vaginal birth. We could throw around the proper application of the word "normal" but really, with some hospitals reaching 40-50% c/s rates, a c/s could almost be classified as "normal". Without proper context, "normal birth" is pretty vague.

Second, the specific referral to "low risk" as you mentioned is, unless I missed it, absent in the links I provided. You also didn't mention it when referring to the MWs here on MDC. Though, again, what defines "low risk"? The risk of UR in the majority of VBACs run about .5-.7%. That means that there is still a 99+% chance that a UR will not happen. Some consider that high risk...others do not.

- Kim
#32 of 37 Old 09-13-2008, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Given the context, it's pretty much indisputable that "normal birth" means an unmedicated vaginal birth. That's what "normal" means on MDC, and that's where the term was used.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#33 of 37 Old 09-13-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPLawyer View Post
Wow, yeah, that's a pretty horrible rate, IMO. Maybe better than some but still pretty bad.

Every MW I've ever heard from had MUCH better rates. Granted, I doubt there are any scientific studies out there to back that up as orgs like the ACOG and the like push MWs underground and fight tooth and nail to take away our right as Mamas (VBAC especially) to birth w/ the MW of our choice. Therefore, it's really impossible to come up with a stat. The question is, therefore, disingenuous.
Really? When I started care with my HB midwife this summer for an HBAC she provided me with an informed consent and her VBAC succuess rate was 80% and she is one of the best HBAC providing midwives around (I had to travel three hours to get one). Perhaps I should just go to the hospital then, since even the best HB midwife around has such "low" vbac rates.
#34 of 37 Old 09-13-2008, 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=GOPLawyer;12167349]For those Mamas that fell into the difference of "close", I would say "close" isn't good enough.

Curious, why would I have those particular stats if the stats for basic HBACs don't exst?

Oh, just because one might want to know one's risks before choosing a HBA2C with a J incision. Isn't that part of the responsibility of the client? To assess risk and decide which risks one wishes to accept? If there's no responsibility to know about the likelihood or magnitude of the risk, then how is that different from putting all your faith in a paternalistic OB?

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#35 of 37 Old 09-14-2008, 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=maxmama;12169933]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPLawyer View Post
For those Mamas that fell into the difference of "close", I would say "close" isn't good enough.

Curious, why would I have those particular stats if the stats for basic HBACs don't exst?

Oh, just because one might want to know one's risks before choosing a HBA2C with a J incision. Isn't that part of the responsibility of the client? To assess risk and decide which risks one wishes to accept? If there's no responsibility to know about the likelihood or magnitude of the risk, then how is that different from putting all your faith in a paternalistic OB?
Hm, really? So, in your other post you asked if I had any stats for you but now you couch the question so as to see if I've properly researched/assessed my own risks for my personal situation. Interesting how things change and true colors are shown.

Lol...sorry, I'm not playing your typical medical CP game. You sure do make a *lot* of assumptions....upon what they're based I can only speculate. However, just because you may or may not be able to accept the fact that I do not have to justify my position to anyone other than myself and that I accept full responsibility for both my baby and myself based upon my own research and experience is really not my problem.

- Kim
#36 of 37 Old 09-14-2008, 08:10 PM

Nah. Just that if people are going to give advice to other people, it can be helpful if they know how to assess the risks they are advising others on. Choices we make for ourselves often reflect our ability to critically think, and when giving advice to others, critical thinking before advising is a bit of a responsibility.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#37 of 37 Old 09-14-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama View Post
Nah. Just that if people are going to give advice to other people, it can be helpful if they know how to assess the risks they are advising others on. Choices we make for ourselves often reflect our ability to critically think, and when giving advice to others, critical thinking before advising is a bit of a responsibility.
LOL...so who gets to judge if the choices made show that ability or not? You? LOL

I'll just leave it at...I'm not really worried about that judgment.

- Kim

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page