broken rib during pregnancy-anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2008, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone broken a rib during pregnancy?

I'm 17.5 weeks along with #3, attempting a VBA2C in mid-April. This week I broke one of my ribs. I know I did. It's excruciatingly painful when I cough, sneeze, or just move the wrong way. In fact, I can feel the bone shifting as I inhale to cough (hubby brought home some terrible chest congestion business from work).

I know drs. can't do anything to help--no cast or anything. But I'm just worried it won't be healed by the time I go into labor (sort of worried, just need some reassurance, actually b/c e'thing I read says "4-6 weeks." However, I'm kind of concerned that it may not heal properly b/c my body is different since I'm pregnant, and will be constantly changing over the next 5 mos., too.

Anyone have any comments/ideas about this? My lungs are pretty rattly and I'm wondering if I shouldn't see if I don't have an infection that requires antibiotics....and if I stopped coughing then my rib could heal faster. But I don't like the idea of taking antibiotics while pregnant. And would the medicine just loosen everything up and make me cough even more?

This is soo bizarre! I never dreamed that a broken rib could possibly sabotage my VBAC attempt! But I tell you what--I certainly can not imagine pushing with this kind of pain. I mean, it's excruciating if I turn the wrong way in bed; in fact last night I had to sleep sitting up!

Surely it won't, right? I've got a long time to go before labor is here! Right???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2008, 01:44 AM

A friend of mine cracked her rib while pregnant and had her baby girl 1wk ago with no problems at all, she had to have the bubba at hospital (was planning a homebirth) because of the drugs she was on for the pain as it caused her daughter to have some breathing problems at birth but all is great now and i dont think it affected her during labour (well she didnt say anything about it to me). good luck.

Mumma to 6 wonderful kiddos + stork-suprise.gif due March 2013

Old 11-22-2008, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I remember having a super-fast healing time when preggo, like one day I nearly cut the tip of my finger off while slicing vegetables (blade went very deeply into the nail bed), but amazingly it was healed completely -except for the scar- within about a week without stiches. I couldn't believe it.

If I were you I wouldn't let it take my focus away from my VBAC. You still have TONS of time to heal, just don't do anything rigorous (running, aerobics, etc.) in the meanwhile and relax.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 11-23-2008, 04:11 AM

You have a lot of time left to heal. I agree with PP regarding improved healing times when pregnant. However, the rattling lungs will definitely stress your system and prolong the healing of the rib. Watch the lungs carefully - if you really do have a bacterial infection that is getting worse, it will be much more stressful on your body to fight it off alone than dealing with antibiotics.

I am strongly against antibiotics, so this advice is not given lightly! I was GBS+ and refused the antibiotics.

By the time your baby arrives, I predict your painful rib will only be a bad memory. I really don't think it will affect your VBAC.

: DS - June '07 : DS2 - May '09 : (may be delayed a really long time!)
Old 11-23-2008, 04:17 AM

I have no advice or anything to offer, but I'm SO sorry for you that that has happened to you I couldn't imagine and pray I will never have to! Wish I could give you hand!

~RG Natural Babies Free Shipping on several items and orders over $60!  BumGenius, Tiny Tush, Rumparooz, RMD, Rockin Green & more!  We have all your diapering needs!

User Tag List