Vaccination info regarding schools? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-12-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I am curious about the laws regarding vaccinations in schools in Australia. My husband and I might be moving to Australia from Colorado, USA next September, and my sons have not recieved all their vaccinations. The possibility of a move is in its really early stages, but once notified we are going to move, we have a lot to do in a short time.
I have two boys, Kieran 5 and Jadian 2. We are expecting with our third love, due somewhere around May 20th. My oldest is in Kindergarten now, and with the vaccinations, all we had to do is sign a paper saying we opt out of certain vaccines because of personal reasons. Is it that easy in Australia?

I will probably be back asking more questions if the move is a go. We are so very excited about it, however most of our family is in the USA and Ireland, so we will be quite far from them.

Many thanks in advance for any information.
Good Times,
Angela O'Sullivan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 01-13-2009, 08:11 AM

technically, in australia, children must have evidence of their up-to-date vaccination records to be enrolled in schools and kindergartens. however, a letter of "conscientious objection" which you can easily get any doctor to sign (usually) will fulfil this requirement.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong. my kid is homeschooled and unvaxed so I could be misaken )

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#3 of 17 Old 01-13-2009, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thankyou.

We are so excited about the move, if it happens. As beautiful as it is here, we just feel that the environment and social surroundings may suit us better in Australia.

Angela
#4 of 17 Old 02-02-2009, 10:25 AM

In Australia Vaccination isn't compulsory.
For preschool/school you just have to show a vaccination record, it doesn'thave to be up to date. It's just so they know for if something is going around.
My dd started school last year and we just handed in her record, They said where's the second page? and we just said, that's it. No problems

LAD

sorry can't get rid of the underlines!!!!
#5 of 17 Old 02-04-2009, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We're moving to Australia in a few months' time. Both of my children have not had any vaxes. From what I understand, you just need to present a copy of the signed conscientious objection form (the one who submit to the gov't) if necessary...

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...ction_form.pdf

What state are you moving to? We're headed for WA.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#6 of 17 Old 02-04-2009, 02:38 PM

Just saw your other thread about Melbourne or Sydney, so I guess that answers my question...

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 

#7 of 17 Old 02-04-2009, 08:46 PM

The concientious objector form is just to get benefits ( childcare benefit, and more then just the base family tax benefit). You don't need it for school, just a vaccination record which doesn't have to have much or anything on it!!
LAD
#8 of 17 Old 02-05-2009, 02:11 AM

Thanks for that...we haven't enrolled DD in school yet...so we wouldn't have a vax record at all, since she hasn't received any. So, do I just hand the school staff a blank form? LOL....

#9 of 17 Old 02-05-2009, 03:21 AM

I'd say yes a blank form would be sufficient. You will get confused and blank stares. DD was selectively vaccinated, all they saw was it was shorter than most, and had nothing after 12 months that's all they queried. I'm SURE they didn't Really look at it. I just said, yes that is her full record and they just went Oh..
LAD
#10 of 17 Old 02-05-2009, 07:39 AM

hand in a torn notebook page, with "vax record of _____" written in crayon, and nothing else
:

#11 of 17 Old 02-05-2009, 05:44 PM

#12 of 17 Old 02-15-2009, 11:21 PM

:LOL: That's really all you need. My kids have been to a few different schools in NSW and they only want the info incase of outbreaks
#13 of 17 Old 05-16-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda in OZ View Post
:LOL: That's really all you need. My kids have been to a few different schools in NSW and they only want the info incase of outbreaks
That's my understanding - so they can notify you and you can keep your kids home in case of an outbreak.

: Charndra, Mum to Maven and Jett, my Tribal Babies!
#14 of 17 Old 05-31-2009, 11:00 PM

So there are no requirements for entering the country? We have the possibility of going to either Australia or NZ for a year for DH to work as a physician in locum and we were wondering if our kids will be required to have any just to enter the country. We are homeschoolers, so we wouldn't have any school issues it seems. Just wondering about getting through customs.

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
#15 of 17 Old 05-31-2009, 11:39 PM

there are no requirements to enter the country.
they do ask you if you've been in a yellow fever area in the past week (parts of south america and africa) but other than that, no vaxes required. there are almost no mandatory vaxes for travelling anywhere in the world these days (though many Drs and travel websites will tell you otherwise). I've been in over 50 countries and the only time i needed to show a vax card, it was for yellow fever (and a $5 "fine" was enough to waive that requirement )

entering australia they do have 'strict' quarantine though. you cant bring in any live plant or animal products - they check everyone. i'm pretty sure aus immigration would have a website detailing specifically what you can and can't bring in.

#16 of 17 Old 06-02-2009, 03:22 PM

Yup, there's no vax requirements for the kids upon emigrating to Australia. My two kids are not vaxed at all and we're moving to Perth in Sept. We had to get medicals for the PR visa and the doctor assigned my kids a lower grade (a "B" instead of an "A") for not being vaxed, but they passed just fine.

The quarantine thing is a whole other issue though...there's a whole list of things you can't bring with you...

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis

Right now I'm waiting on export (Canada) and import (Australia) permits for my golden eagle feathers...I'm Native American and would like to bring them with me, but the process involved is crazy bureaucratic...I started last month and it should be the end of July or August by the time I get my permits.

#17 of 17 Old 06-09-2009, 12:36 AM

I just logged on to get this excact info. THANKS everyone. Australia RULES : You would not believe the issues I have with no vax in the US, ( being military doesn't help) even though my son had seizures from his first vax.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page