Where would you live if moving to Melbourne or Sydney? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We might be moving to Melbourne or Sydney, and I was wondering where would be a nice place to live? We have two children, 5 and 2, and a new one on the way.
We like safe, fun neighborhoods, semi quiet, yet close to get into the action if we desire. Good schools are a must, not just academically, but also schools where they nurture the children's soul with arts, music, and fantasy play. We love small family friendly cafes, and small markets, and parks.

Love to hear from you about which places you love, and which places you would not go near with a family, and for what reasons. Safety is ofcourse #1 for us.

Thank you,
Angela
#2 of 4 Old 02-04-2009, 05:28 AM

Hi Angela,

I know this is weeks too late, but I didn't want to leave your post sitting there unanswered.... you might think people in Melb & Syd are really unfriendly or something LOL!

I've lived in Melb all my life (I'm 34) & know it pretty well There are lots of spots like you describe... the only problem would be being 'close to the action' as it were. Melb has (I think) about 4 million people now & it's getting more spread out... so being within, say, 1 hours' drive from the main city centre might be tricky. Unless you're fairly wealthy of course! Houses in nice suburban areas within about 30-40 mins drive of the CBD go for close to and over AUD1,000,000.

There are lots of suburban pockets cheaper than this, and you might not need to be close to the CBD to be closet o the action... schools & hospitals, fire & ambulance services etc are well spread out through Melb. There are also lots of semi-rural areas around Melb... lots of arty/folksy little pockets and so forth.

DP & I are actually looking to move much further out into rural Victoria... but Melb still has lots to offer along your lines, just depends on money unfortunately.

Fee totally free to PM me if you want any specific info, happy to help Good luck whatever you decide

Love Bel
#3 of 4 Old 02-06-2009, 08:32 AM

In Sydney I'd go for the north shore, it fits the list of things you're looking for. I wouldn't go any further west of Leichhardt. I don't know Melbourne very well so I can't offer anything there sorry.
#4 of 4 Old 02-14-2009, 07:21 AM

In Melbourne, you'll find what you're looking for in inner urban Brunswick, Northcote, Thornbury and surrounds. If you'd prefer to live further out Hurstbridge, Warrandyte, Eltham, Mont Morrency and surrounds will be more your cup of tea.

Me, I'm an inner urban girl and wouldn't live anywhere else.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page