thinking of those affected by bushfires - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-08-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have family & friends around Melbourne, Gippsland & Ballarat... the bush fires are close to my heart. Just wanted to come here to post in case any of you are affected
#2 of 8 Old 02-08-2009, 11:46 PM

If anyone knows of a Girl Scout troop effected by the fires (leaders house where she stores supplies....) I would love to know about it. My Daisy Troop (the youngest the US Girl Scouts has) just did an extended project all about Australia for Thinking Day and I would love for the girls to experience being a sister to every girl scout by sending cards and supplies to get an Australian Troop started up again, if any lost.

I will be thinking and praying for all of you effected.

God Bless,
Annie
#3 of 8 Old 02-09-2009, 12:37 AM

The stories in the news here today are just horrific. It's heartwrenching.

What I don't understand is how so many people were caught - I don't understand the warning systems. The news hasn't explained if the fires took an unexpected path, if people just didn't understand how dire it was - or refused to leave home because they thought they could fight the fires, or if the was a breakdown in the warning system. It seems unreal to me that whole towns could be wiped out, and yet people didn't leave in time.

My sympathies to all....
#4 of 8 Old 02-09-2009, 08:06 PM

I live in the states but am just overwhelmed with sadness at these fires. I am not sure why but I really just hope noone else is hurt and wish I knew what to do to help.
#5 of 8 Old 02-14-2009, 07:09 AM

The fires that claimed the most lives were in and out in 1 minute. It was like a bomb going off with very little notice. There was no time for warnings.

Others have died defending their homes.

It's been a horrific week. We know many who have lost their homes and sadly a few people who didn't make it. DP's parents were evacuated on Monday and have only just been allowed back to their home which, despite earlier reports, did survive the fire.

Thanks for your well wishes.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#6 of 8 Old 02-14-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Apricot View Post
What I don't understand is how so many people were caught - I don't understand the warning systems. The news hasn't explained if the fires took an unexpected path, if people just didn't understand how dire it was - or refused to leave home because they thought they could fight the fires, or if the was a breakdown in the warning system. It seems unreal to me that whole towns could be wiped out, and yet people didn't leave in time.
Lots of people died *trying* to get out... burning trees falling on cars, or getting trapped in their cars (fire all around the roads)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpoweringBirth View Post
If anyone knows of a Girl Scout troop effected by the fires (leaders house where she stores supplies....) I would love to know about it. My Daisy Troop (the youngest the US Girl Scouts has) just did an extended project all about Australia for Thinking Day and I would love for the girls to experience being a sister to every girl scout by sending cards and supplies to get an Australian Troop started up again, if any lost.
I'll ask my mother-in-law who is a grade school teacher in the area
#7 of 8 Old 02-15-2009, 02:29 PM

This has been on my heart as well, and I wanted to add my best wishes for those affected.
MMM, I'm glad your DP's parents are safe and that their home was spared.

Sharon FF/Medic DH 3 DD's 2/98, 4/01, 11/05
~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#8 of 8 Old 02-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife View Post
Lots of people died *trying* to get out... burning trees falling on cars, or getting trapped in their cars (fire all around the roads)...
Yes, since I posted, there has been a lot in the news media about how incredibly fast the fires travelled due to the high temps (above 45C) and the unexpected path some of the fires took. It is heartbreaking.

Yet the Victorian government warned that there would be bad bushfires that day. The patchy warning systems with inconsistent information about fire location, lack of mandatory evacuations, and the fact that many people stay to protect their homes due to lack of insurance all sadden me though. It must be possible to create better warning systems. Telstra regularly sends me unsolicited advertising to my mobile phone - surely that system can be used to warn people about local dangers. In the 60's and 70's, I grew up with frequent interruptions to t.v. programs while North American defence tested the Emergency Broadcast System (in case of attack by the Russians). Even if a few more people were warned and saved, it would be worth it.

It would be terrible if nothing was learned from this horrible tragedy. With global warming, it's likely there will be more 45C days, and more bushfires like these.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page