Brissy Rental questions.. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-23-2009, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are the policies regarding pets in rentals? We're looking at moving in 2010 and other places we've lived have had such varying policies on pets. Some places legislate that landlords can't say "no pets" and in some places finding rented housing is impossible with a larger breed dog (or any dog).

Also, how would an income of $75k a year do in Brisbane when you consider that we are okay with small living space (right now we live in 620 sq ft with 1 bdrm since we co-sleep) for a family of 4 who buys organic when possible?
#2 of 5 Old 02-23-2009, 07:16 AM

best bet to get an idea of rents is to check out realestate.com.au and domain.com.au (they have a rentals section as well as sales), and the local newspapers' classified sections.

As to pets, afaik there's no specific legislation, it's up to the specific landlord, and they're generally written into the lease agreement.

are you talking $75K in aussie dollars? that sounds like a reasonably comfortable salary to live off around here.

perhaps some brissieites will come on with more info.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#3 of 5 Old 02-23-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I mean in Aussie $. Good to know. Yes, I've been looking at the rentals section of that website for the last week and a bit but I've never seen anything one way or another about pets.

I suspect this may fall under "the dreaded question" category, but can anyone talk to me about the actual practical presence of the creatures non-Aussies have been trained to think lurk around every corner and are just waiting to kill? I've read there is a higher concentration in Brisbane than other bigger cities in Oz but I know how things *can* be blown out of proportion and would love to hear more from you who are really in the know. All I have to go on is my N. American training (which frankly had me pretty convinced I'd never even travel to Oz, sadly!) and I need to hear more since I've also now got my maternal protective filter

Thanks again for the tips majik!
#4 of 5 Old 02-23-2009, 09:40 PM

totally blown out of proportion.
yes, there are spiders and snakes, some of whom are poisonous. but the actual risk of seeing one is pretty low, and being bitten by one is exceedingly low. dying from a bite is almost unheard of. you could count deaths on your fingers.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#5 of 5 Old 04-21-2009, 10:32 AM

Hehe the creepy-crawly question :
The big scary spiders are pretty harmless (not that that makes them any easier to deal with hehe!), the only spider you really have to worry about in brisbane is the redback. They're pretty small - just keep your outdoor furniture free from webs and maybe check underneath things that've been sitting around outside or in the garage before you stick your hand there. The only snakes I see in the city are little white-belly snakes and green tree snakes, both of which are fairly harmless. I found a little white-belly snake in my covered sandpit when I was little but there aren't as many around now.
I've never had a problem with a spider or snake bite, nor has anyone I know. It really doesn't happen because most people use common sense and it's so rare to see one that's actually dangerous anyway!
OT: I always wonder... do they not have snakes and spiders over there where you live? People from the US always ask about it... it's funny!

As far as renting with pets, it's up to the landlord. Usually the realestate online listing will say No Pets or Pets OK - obviously with a big dog the fencing is important. Real estate agents are usually pretty good about replying to emails and their address will be the contact on the listing, so if it's not mentioned then definitely ask!
I live in a "No Pets" and secretly have a cat, I'm not worried because you get two weeks notice on inspections etc. But a big dog is a little harder to hide

Buying organic in Bris is really only affordable if you go to a market. Quite a few new ones are starting up around the place. I get all my fruit and veg direct from the farmer, if not organic. We manage to feed 5 adults on about $90 of produce a week, and we eat quite a lot of veggies. It's only that cheap because we drive to the markets and buy bulk.

I think that income sounds like you'll be quite comfortable... but this is coming from someone who is technically below the poverty line

HTH!

: Helen : Currently a veggie, dready, student, NFL nanny!:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page