Anyone in Christchurch? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-01-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I recently moved from Colorado to Chch. My partner is a Kiwi and we have a son who will turn one on 15 Feb. I am looking for (and having a hard time finding) like-minded mamas in the area. We practice attachment parenting/peaceful parenting, extended breastfeeding, cosleeping, baby wearing, non-vaccinating, organic eating, etc.

If you're a like-minded mama in Chch, or know someone who is, please contact me! I'm having a really hard time going to "regular" playgroups (Plunket), and being surrounded by moms who do "Baby boot camp" so their 6 months old will sleep through the night, and moms who put their 13 month old bubs in time out in their bedrooms and let them cry for 5 minutes alone, etc. I can't seem to find a single playgroup for attachment parenting, or holistic moms, or anything of the like.

Thank you for any help you can offer!
Nicole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 02-10-2010, 12:34 AM

Hi, I'm from Christchurch but haven't lived there since before I had kids. That said, most of the (not many!) people I know there parent the way you do. Which part of town are you in? I know 'crunchy' parents there who've loved their Plunket playgroups so it must be luck of the draw. Does Piko still have a noticeboard? Is there a LLL who can recommend a playgroup? Homebirth Assoc might be able to help?
#3 of 8 Old 02-10-2010, 10:39 AM

A friend of mine who lives in Lyttleton with her 9 month old says it's very crunchy! Maybe try some baby groups there?
#4 of 8 Old 02-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Banned

I think Chch has a Home Birth Association (in Wellington I found that the best way to find crunchy mamas!), and also a Potty Babies group (also usually crunchy mamas). Perhaps a Steiner Playgroup? Playcentre might be an idea, but you will have to get very involved, and I think do their courses and stuff.

And yes, I dropped the Plunket group quickly, not my scene at all.
#5 of 8 Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 AM

Definitely check the Piko's message board! Or post something there yourself.

I myself am a big fan of Playcentre. It's a parent co-op, so you're expected to get involved (rather than a playgroup where you might just have a cuppa & sit around & chat with other mums while the kids play), but I really think it's an awesome model. Most playcentres invite you to visit 3 times before enrolling, so don't be afraid to at least check it out! It's a great way to meet local mums that might not necessarily have your same parenting approach, but at least support free play & get involved in their child's learning.

Christchurch does have a homebirth group, they hosted the national conference in October, which was awesome. (I think it's called the Canterbury Homebirth Association)

If you are vegetarian, there is also a vegetarian families group that meets regularly.

I live over on the West Coast, so if you ever take a trip over the mountain get in touch (my boys are 14months old & nearly 3 years old).

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)
#6 of 8 Old 03-15-2010, 01:34 PM

Check out the Avonlea Birthing Center to see if they have any mama groups. I had my baby there and was amazed by the amount of cool women and midwives. They may be able to turn you on to some great mum groups.
#7 of 8 Old 03-16-2010, 04:18 PM

Nevermind. Avonlea Birthing Centre is now defunct. Sad, it was such a fantastic place for having babies and meeting up with like minded women.
#8 of 8 Old 05-12-2010, 04:58 AM

homebirth assoc has a playgroup that meets monthly, also LLL meetings can be good.

if you email me on jennandphil (at) slingshot (dot) co (dot) nz I can give you more info

hope you've found something by now though - I noticed this is a few months old.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page