Nigel Latta - Politically Incorrect Parenting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-30-2010, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone watch the show/ read his books?

I've heard him talk about his work with young offenders and could totally see the relevance, but I'm currently reading his book "Before your kids drive you crazy". Some of the strategies seem great, but some seem a little bit harsh!

Anyone else want to weigh in?

- Mods, I put this in Australia and NZ since this relates specifically to an NZ clinical psychologist and his work.

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
#2 of 4 Old 06-12-2010, 06:25 AM

I'm not a big fan of him! I've only seen the show once, but read his book on raising boys & overall just found him a bit annoying. Like you said, some stuff okay, some a bit harsh...but I just get nothing from his advice. I found his use of humour over-the-top..I'm not really looking to be entertained by my quest for parenting advice/inspiration, I'm looking for sound wisdom, you know?

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)
#3 of 4 Old 06-16-2010, 02:16 AM

I like his approach in that it makes people feel like they can be good parents even if they aren't perfect and I guess he has seen what happens when family has been unhealthy and what to avoid. But he does like to be funny and sometimes seems to avoid the more controversial issues when they actually need to be dealt with. He is very 'mainstream', if you know what I mean.

Me, DH and DD born 6/24/09

neg.gifDue July 2012

#4 of 4 Old 06-16-2010, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, very mainstream. I guess maybe the idea is to take what works and leave the rest.

I guess I also don't agree with the assumption that because this works for the "worst" cases, it should be implemented in all cases, which is what the book seemed to imply.

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page