Looking to study midwifery in WA or QLD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-14-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking to study midwifery in either WA (Perth) or QLD (Brisbane/GC). Does anyone have any insight as to which universities have the better reputation for their midwifery programs?
#2 of 10 Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 AM

GC has a good reputation - the course is quite new, but there's a few HB MWs who helped write the curriculum, and they allow part of the pracs to be done in the birthing centre or in home births. can't tell you more.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#3 of 10 Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

By GC I meant Gold Coast- did you mean Griffith? I have heard they are starting a new midwifery program.
#4 of 10 Old 09-15-2010, 08:28 PM

yep I meant gold coast too. Griffith is my local university, and SCU. the new b.mid program at Griffith started this year - apparently they had about 10 times the number of applicants as positions for it. but I've heard good things about it, and it's available on Tweed Campus.
the distance between WA and SE QLD is massive - are there any other factors in where you'll end up?

#5 of 10 Old 09-16-2010, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Great- I will look into it, I hadn't looked at Griffith yet, just QUT and UQ. I did both of my undergraduate degrees at Bond 10 years ago and have been back in the US for the last 5years. So I have friends on the GC and also in Perth. Know the GC area really well, was just there for 10 days in Aug. Haven't ever been to Perth, but am getting the hard sell from friends about the lifestyle, etc. etc.
So you are on the GC now?
#6 of 10 Old 09-16-2010, 08:24 AM

technically I'm in NSW, but GC is our nearest airport/ big city shops, uni, etc. and if you're looking for alternative, like-minded community, attachment parenting, natural birth-friendly community, definitely go for the GC (northern NSW just south of the border). perth is great, and there's a great community in the area, especially if you have friends there, but really, for wall-to-wall like-mindedness from alternative types, this is the area for it.

#7 of 10 Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks! Is there a website, blog, magazine etc. that you subscribe to for the GC area, or even Aus in general beside Mothering, obviously? Used to get Kindred... sigh. Looking to stay in touch with the alternative community until I get back there.

And thanks for your help!
#8 of 10 Old 09-17-2010, 02:20 AM

something on the scale of mothering or kindred? no. I frequent http://liberatedlearning.info/phpbb it's more aimed at natural learning/ unschooling but it's all alternative parents and mostly Australian. there's also a yahoo group called oshobyronbay which is more Byron-based, and a lot of classified ads (not so much parenting), but also a good way to connect with local alternative types.

#9 of 10 Old 11-20-2010, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hi there...

I don't have any info about midwifery programs, but maybe someone on here might...

http://forums.naturalparenting.com.au/

I'm in Perth btw...emigrated here last year and I like it. There's some great folks here...I belong to an alternative playgroup and Freo has a wonderful community. Good luck!

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#10 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 02:31 AM

Moved to Perth a few months ago and certainly have had no issue finding the crunchy side - compared to the US the ease of finding crunchy/midwifery/homebirth-friendly was no issue now I'm wondering how much more crunchy wonderful NSW / GC must be :) 

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page