Planning to migrate within the year - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 09-25-2011, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

vallere - what brought you to move from NC?  Are you working?  What type of visa did you get?  Wanganui sounds amazing!!

#32 of 37 Old 09-25-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgr8ful View Post

vallere - what brought you to move from NC?  Are you working?  What type of visa did you get?  Wanganui sounds amazing!!

We are here on a 1 yr work visa. My husband is a physician and is doing a locums at the hospital here. We just decided to have an adventure year instead of settling down into a career back home. How we specifically got to Wanganui is acutally an amazing testimoney story for us, and I'd be happy to share it if you are interested :) So he's working full time (which is actually normal work hours...8:30-5...maybe once a week he stays till 6) and I'm homeschooling the kiddos. Because he has a work visa, I automatically got one (so if I did want to work, I could). The children just have family visas.

Vallere - Daugher of YHWH, Wife to Dr. Adventure, and Mama to DS(5)homeschool.gif, DS(3)ribbonpurple.gif, DDribbonpb.gif & DD(1)h20homebirth.gif

blogging.jpg about our move to New Zealand!

#33 of 37 Old 09-26-2011, 09:08 PM

I just applied for a job in NZ. This is a great thread! NZ sounds like a dream. . .  That sounds like just the right amount of winter too..

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif
#34 of 37 Old 09-27-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulnm View Post

I just applied for a job in NZ. This is a great thread! NZ sounds like a dream. . .  That sounds like just the right amount of winter too..

Awesome! What part of the country are you applying in? The winter differs depending on where you're at. The upper North Island (north of Auckland) is very rain-foresty and sub tropic. We're on the southern end of the North Island, and it's incredibly temperate here on the west coast, but on the east coast, down by Wellington, it seems to get a bit colder. The South Island is cooler, with the Alps pulling a lot of snow. The southern South Island can be downright cold from what I hear. It's pretty far south - quite close to Antartica like southern Australia, but the island climate makes things different - some areas are very temperate and "islandy" and others get blasted by the polar winds.

Vallere - Daugher of YHWH, Wife to Dr. Adventure, and Mama to DS(5)homeschool.gif, DS(3)ribbonpurple.gif, DDribbonpb.gif & DD(1)h20homebirth.gif

#35 of 37 Old 09-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Auckland for testing but after that they will put me where they need me. I havent seen snow much in the past 6 years. I miss tromping around in boots.. Darn I guess not having an idea of where I go if selected limits the rest of my questions. I was wondering about markets.. I'm sure you guys have awesome 'farmers' markets..

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif
#36 of 37 Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM

I've had no trouble finding farmers markets and local produce stands. In fact, we rarely ever buy produce at the grocery store - it's cheeper and tastier to just buy straight from the growers. *some* things we do get at the grocery, like bananas, but other things we never even have to pay for, like lemons - everyone around us has lemon trees and can't give them away fast enough! Before we moved here, I'd never seen a lemon tree in person, and now I see tons of lemons just rotting on the ground! Same with grapefruits. We've passed fruit stands on the side of the road selling avacados for $.50 each. One other thing I love is that ingredients are so much more healthy here. I've yet to see ANYTHING made with HFCS - even softdrinks are sweetened with sugar or glucose. And it's very easy to find candy with no artificial colors or flavourings, and they cost the same as all the other candies!

Living here has kinda been like stepping back in time...we go to the dairy to get milk and eggs and yogurt (so fresh my milk has still been warm a couple of times), we go to the market to get our veges, we go to the butcher shop to get our meat, I buy flour from a farmer who stone mills her own. It's been really amazing and I'm feeling spoiled - not sure how I'll adjust when we have to go back Stateside.

#37 of 37 Old 09-28-2011, 04:51 PM

That sounds wonderful.. I'm about to take up a critical skill just to ensure I can migrate. haha.. I keep feeling itchy and that the US just isn't the kind of place I want to raise my son. .  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page