any Americans 'down under'? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-07-2011, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am American and have lived in Australia (QLD to be more specific) for nearly 4 years. DH and I have been TTC for almost 2 years. Any other Americans out there? I figure we can help each other out with (or at least chat about) the differences in health care, medications, etc between the USA and here. Would love to hear from you!

T. Lynn

T-lynn (25) married DH on 28/07/07 partners.gif DD Isla born 28/03/12 diaper.gif TTC #2

#2 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 05:08 AM

Im in New Zealand was thinking of moving to OZ but think we might move back to the USA in a few years. Im From Nevada how about you?

#3 of 10 Old 07-08-2011, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Hi ReinetteRenee! We were kind of neighbors! I grew up in Southern Utah..about 1.5 hours out of Vegas. How did you find yourself in NZ?

T-lynn (25) married DH on 28/07/07 partners.gif DD Isla born 28/03/12 diaper.gif TTC #2

#4 of 10 Old 07-21-2011, 02:18 PM

Hi, I'm over the ditch in NZ as well... been here about a year and a half, and we are in the process of buying a house:eek so I guess we'll be here for a while orngbiggrin.gif
#5 of 10 Old 07-23-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantylynn View Post

Hi ReinetteRenee! We were kind of neighbors! I grew up in Southern Utah..about 1.5 hours out of Vegas. How did you find yourself in NZ?

I grew up just outside the Nevada border up by Reno. My Husband is a Kiwi. We met online. Hows OZ? We were thinking of moving there but now just feel it would be better to move back to the states. something about us getting residency would be a pain as i don't have any specialty and well they don't give kiwis residency like they give Aussies here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalamama View Post

Hi, I'm over the ditch in NZ as well... been here about a year and a half, and we are in the process of buying a house:eek so I guess we'll be here for a while orngbiggrin.gif

Vivalamama I really hope you LOVE it here in NZ. I first lived here from December 2003 to October 2005 and we moved to the states cause DH wanted to live in the states. He got really home sick so December 2008 we came back and we have felt it was a mistake ever since. We hate how cold it is, houses don't have insulation and the power bills are awful! One night it was so cold i couldn't think about putting my son in his crib cause i was afraid he would be far to cold. If you dont have your heart set on one yet make sure you try to find one with insulation or find out how much it would cost to have it installed.  there is also a government grant to get houses insulated. also if it has one heat pump i dont know if you know this yet but they dont heat houses. im just sick of High power bills and still being cold.

#6 of 10 Old 07-31-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinetteRenee View Post

Vivalamama I really hope you LOVE it here in NZ. I first lived here from December 2003 to October 2005 and we moved to the states cause DH wanted to live in the states. He got really home sick so December 2008 we came back and we have felt it was a mistake ever since. We hate how cold it is, houses don't have insulation and the power bills are awful! One night it was so cold i couldn't think about putting my son in his crib cause i was afraid he would be far to cold. If you dont have your heart set on one yet make sure you try to find one with insulation or find out how much it would cost to have it installed.  there is also a government grant to get houses insulated. also if it has one heat pump i dont know if you know this yet but they dont heat houses. im just sick of High power bills and still being cold.

cold.gif I know!
the house we are buying was advertised as insulated. on inspection it has insulation over the lounge and the hallway eyesroll.giflol.gif:
getting insulation installed is very high on our priority list.
where are you in NZ? we're in Hawkes Bay, so while it is cold during winter, it's only 2 months, and it is often sunny and warms up the house nicely during the day, at least. My kids can still play outside most days, which is such a huge change from where we were before in the states.
NZ is working out for us, I think, but no, it's not perfect. the cold housing and the cost of food and other goods being the main drawbacks.

good luck wherever you end up smile.gif

sorry for the thread hijack, Tantylynn!!
#7 of 10 Old 09-17-2011, 11:34 PM

Moved to QLD end of May to be with my partner. I'm south of Brisbane about 45 minutes. Where are you in QLD? 

I was living in Tucson 7 years and a Buddhist retreat center 2 hours east of Tucson for 3 years before I came here.

#8 of 10 Old 12-06-2011, 01:25 AM

wave.gif  Hidy ho :D    I've been here in Brisbane for 11years now!   Love it here!  there are definitely differences... someone mentioned the non insulated homes, which is a common problem in Oz as well and just makes me dizzy.gif  ... and yes, electricity is much more pricey here... but that's mainly because it is kept artificially under priced in the US winky.gif    

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#9 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 11:09 PM

I have been down under for almost 2 years. Came from Hurricane, Utah born In CA. Incredibly home sick at the moment.

Quote:

#10 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 PM

Hi! I've lived in Sydney for about three and a half years. I'm most recently from Seattle, but I've lived all over the USA. I have two little boys-- a two year old and an 8 month old. Nice to meet you all :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page