New to Canberra and feeling AP isolation ~ Help?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am used to living where I can breastfeed a toddler at the park and people smile. Large organic grocery shops outnumbered regular shops. Doctors were open and accepting of a parents choice to vaccinate fully, partially or not. Homeschooling groups and AP or NP playgroups were many and easy to find.

I've recently relocated to Australia and am moving to Canberra to be with my husband. So far, two of my husband's friends have deleted me online because my daughter isn't fully vaccinated. Others are glorifying a show that calls everything pertaining to my lifestyle, beliefs and parenting style fraudulent pseudoscience. To date I have yet to meet anyone I have things in common with aside from small talk and cooking.

I'd like to find a more accepting and positive social circle to say the least. One where I am free to be myself without judgement. I have always been a very honest and open person and now I feel forced to hide parts of myself in a closet.
#2 of 8 Old 03-11-2013, 04:23 PM

Ug! How frustrating! I saw this in the unanswered threads and didn't want to leave you hanging. I'm not in Australia, but I can identify. I've lived in areas that were downright aggressive toward me over such things. It's hard and it's lonely. And once you know better you'd feel horrible changing to fit in, because you know what you're giving up. Libraries often have information about homeschool groups in the area, and hospitals often have info about parenting groups. Maybe you kind find some like minded parents through one of those? Or talk to them about starting a group, if there isn't one? 

There's no one like me where we live now, but at least it's an accepting community. They give me confused looks, then shrug and ignore whatever weird thing I'm up to. It's a very "live and let live" kind of community. After some of the places I've lived though, that's works fine for me. =D

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#3 of 8 Old 03-12-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying! I grew up in a "let live" town when I was a child. I appreciate it more now that I'm seeing the opposite reaction too close to home for comfort. There are many genuinely nice people too but my way of life is still foreign to them. It's hard because it puts pressure on my husband who is trying to be supportive of my choices.

The AP groups I found are no longer active. We are trying the homeschooling group, still waiting to hear back.

I'm afraid the library might not have the things I'm used to either. To get a child tax credit here, your child must be fully vaccinated. The opt out forms have to be signed by doctors and its hard to find one who will. The mainstream news takes a bully approach to the vaccine debate and vilifies anyone who isn't on board. That media difference is one reason why there is a greater separation amongst good people who otherwise would not make the choices of others personal.

Sydney, Adelaide and other cities have far more options and groups. I might just have to start one wink1.gif
#4 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 AM

Try Bubhub which is an australian baby forum. Maybe you might find more like minded people somewhere in there. (hopefully). Otherwise, I'm so sorry! That sounds so isolating and depressing. Goodluck maybe you will move to a more AP friendly area in the future. =)

#5 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
You could try Natural Parenting Forum. There used to be members on their who lived in Canberra but I don't know if they're still active. There is also a list of doctors who are non-vax sympathisers ( for want of a better term).

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I'll try all of those suggestions, thanks! Tried NP forum first before posting here, inactive local members. Doctor list didn't have my city but I did find two options.
#7 of 8 Old 03-18-2013, 12:31 AM

Hello I used to live in Canberra - found some lovely frineds through the stiener school.  Its called Orana and they have playgroup[s etc.

There used to be a homebirth group too - not sure if its still round - it was 10 years ago!

Best of luck!

And Dr Turtle was our AP friendly GP.

#8 of 8 Old 08-08-2013, 05:44 PM

Obviously I am coming to this way late, but I live in Canberra, so PM me if you are still in need!

I can second the recommendation of Orana (my kids go there!), they have a craft group on Friday mornings that you could go to (free) and playgroups that meet at people's houses (free) and at the school (paid).

I can also recommend a GP if you haven't found a good one yet.

Canberra is kind of a hard city to "break into", if you know what I mean, but there is an underground of lovely and likeminded people :)

Kirsten McCulloch. Australian mother of Liam, b. 2002, Mikaela, b. 2006, & Eliane, b. 2010.

Writer at SustainableSuburbia.net. Passionate about bringing up my kids to care, to live sustainably and to be feminists. Also about home made non-toxic cleaners.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page