We are considering a move from the Northeastern USA to NZ (also considering Costa Rica, but strongly favor NZ), and I would LOVE to hear some perspectives from some holistic mamas there! Our kids are 10 and 11, and we remote school so we can live anywhere! My hubby also works remotely, but we are working to figure out how that might work with the massive time difference of 16hrs! We run a small farm, grow organic food, and raise dairy goats (which we would be starting over in that regard I guess if we move), practice alternative medicine/therapies, and love the outdoors!
I have some questions, if you could possibly help I would really appreciate it so much.
- Would love some personal thoughts on the pluses and minuses of living in NZ, from a holistic moms perspective?
- How safe is it there? How bad is crime?
- Where are the good areas to live with support for like-minded families? Is there a good community for that, and are folks generally friendly and welcoming?
- How difficult is it to attend school there if you are American (we may transition into schools at middle/high school - they are both starting 6th in the fall).
- How are schools there, especially international schools? How is the homeschool community (we currently do that – kids are entering middle school soon). Anyone doing Oak Meadow?
- How are expats accepted, and how do they blend into the overall community there? How large is the expat community?
- Is Lyme’s disease present down there with ticks? Just curious. It is rampant up here.
- Is there good access to alternative medicine/naturopathic physicians and modalities such as acupuncture, homeopathy, herbalism, chiropractic?
- How environmentally focused (a huge draw for us) is the country? What are the environmental issues there, especially with pollution? I know about the earthquakes - how bad are they really? Are there volcanoes in the area, and do they cause pollution there, or in other areas? I have read about aerial spraying of pesticides/herbicides being used a lot for agriculture. I would love to hear thoughts on that? Anyone doing organic farming or raising livestock?
- Do you get hassled about vaccinations there for children and adults? I know they are not mandated there.
- Is there good access to medical care, if you need it?
- Is the water clean and drinkable everywhere there?
- Is there strong access to organic foods and 100% grass fed meats? How about raw milk? We raise dairy goats here on a small organic farm, and get raw cow milk easily too.
So sorry for all the questions! Any help or insight is very much appreciated!!!