Questions about NZ... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 07-09-2015, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Questions about NZ...

Hi Mamas!

We are considering a move from the Northeastern USA to NZ (also considering Costa Rica, but strongly favor NZ), and I would LOVE to hear some perspectives from some holistic mamas there! Our kids are 10 and 11, and we remote school so we can live anywhere! My hubby also works remotely, but we are working to figure out how that might work with the massive time difference of 16hrs! We run a small farm, grow organic food, and raise dairy goats (which we would be starting over in that regard I guess if we move), practice alternative medicine/therapies, and love the outdoors!

I have some questions, if you could possibly help I would really appreciate it so much.

- Would love some personal thoughts on the pluses and minuses of living in NZ, from a holistic moms perspective?

- How safe is it there? How bad is crime?

- Where are the good areas to live with support for like-minded families? Is there a good community for that, and are folks generally friendly and welcoming?

- How difficult is it to attend school there if you are American (we may transition into schools at middle/high school - they are both starting 6th in the fall).

- How are schools there, especially international schools? How is the homeschool community (we currently do that – kids are entering middle school soon). Anyone doing Oak Meadow?

- How are expats accepted, and how do they blend into the overall community there? How large is the expat community?

- Is Lyme’s disease present down there with ticks? Just curious. It is rampant up here.

- Is there good access to alternative medicine/naturopathic physicians and modalities such as acupuncture, homeopathy, herbalism, chiropractic?

- How environmentally focused (a huge draw for us) is the country? What are the environmental issues there, especially with pollution? I know about the earthquakes - how bad are they really? Are there volcanoes in the area, and do they cause pollution there, or in other areas? I have read about aerial spraying of pesticides/herbicides being used a lot for agriculture. I would love to hear thoughts on that? Anyone doing organic farming or raising livestock?

- Do you get hassled about vaccinations there for children and adults? I know they are not mandated there.

- Is there good access to medical care, if you need it?

- Is the water clean and drinkable everywhere there?

- Is there strong access to organic foods and 100% grass fed meats? How about raw milk? We raise dairy goats here on a small organic farm, and get raw cow milk easily too.

So sorry for all the questions! Any help or insight is very much appreciated!!!

Mama to dd (10) and ds (11), organic living, no vax, homeopathy/herbalism, acupuncture, chiro, SAHM and writer/poet, homeschooler, nature photography, dairy goat breeder, kitties, chickens, doggie.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-31-2016, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kia Ora

It's been some months since you posted that, but I just saw it today! I'm a kiwi mama, happily ensconced on my own slice of paradise in the South Island. My husband is American, and we are a Tennessean New Zealand family.

I don't quite know where to start with all your questions, indeed - are they still questions? Are you here, Costa Rica, or elsewhere?

There are plenty of homeschool families, that's a strong movement here. Ticks - don't have them. Or snakes, for that matter. So Lymes disease is a non issue.

My big advice to you would be to research ... here is a useful place to start: http://www.migrantactiontrust.org.nz/treaty_of_waitangi
We definitely don't like when people move here with an unwillingness to embrace our ways. (google: All Blacks Rugby, A&P Shows!)

We're working through some major issues at the moment around a disregard to the health of our rivers (over-irrigating and an over-reliance on the dairy industry) and our centre-right government doesn't help; arguably prioritising economic health over environmental or social health (Prime Minister John Key is NOT my favourite dude)

Medical care is excellent. It's an amazing place for birthing.
But you know what? THere are good and evil people everywhere on this planet. There is good and bad stuff about everywhere.

We were the first country to award Votes for women, we've had multiple female Prime Ministers ... and yet ... our domestic violence rates are horrific. We are proudly nuclear free. You'll have no dramas sourcing organic foods/meats, waaaaay easier than in the USA, in my experience.

Land is expensive.

Stuff is expensive.

I still happen to believe that this is the most wonderful place in the world and Lord knows if Trump gets in you'd better flee.
#3 of 3 Old 03-31-2016, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waikukumama View Post
Kia Ora

It's been some months since you posted that, but I just saw it today! I'm a kiwi mama, happily ensconced on my own slice of paradise in the South Island. My husband is American, and we are a Tennessean New Zealand family.

I don't quite know where to start with all your questions, indeed - are they still questions? Are you here, Costa Rica, or elsewhere?

There are plenty of homeschool families, that's a strong movement here. Ticks - don't have them. Or snakes, for that matter. So Lymes disease is a non issue.

My big advice to you would be to research ... here is a useful place to start: http://www.migrantactiontrust.org.nz/treaty_of_waitangi
We definitely don't like when people move here with an unwillingness to embrace our ways. (google: All Blacks Rugby, A&P Shows!)

We're working through some major issues at the moment around a disregard to the health of our rivers (over-irrigating and an over-reliance on the dairy industry) and our centre-right government doesn't help; arguably prioritising economic health over environmental or social health (Prime Minister John Key is NOT my favourite dude)

Medical care is excellent. It's an amazing place for birthing.
But you know what? THere are good and evil people everywhere on this planet. There is good and bad stuff about everywhere.

We were the first country to award Votes for women, we've had multiple female Prime Ministers ... and yet ... our domestic violence rates are horrific. We are proudly nuclear free. You'll have no dramas sourcing organic foods/meats, waaaaay easier than in the USA, in my experience.

Land is expensive.

Stuff is expensive.

I still happen to believe that this is the most wonderful place in the world and Lord knows if Trump gets in you'd better flee.
One more thing: All meat is grass fed. You'd struggle to find otherwise!
Finding raw milk is no worries, especially if you live rurally.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page