Kiwi Roll Call!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we fly out of vancouver on sept 29th!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#32 of 51 Old 08-13-2008, 11:30 PM

Hi everyone!!!

My name is Jenna and I'm brand brand new to this website! I'm not a mum but all my siblings have children and I work at a crache. Currently living in Wellington but actually from down south (Gore-Dunedin area) :
Nice to meet you all!!!! :
#33 of 51 Old 08-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Banned

Hi Jenna!

Welcome! I don't know if there is anyone else from Wellington here, although I think there are a couple from Kapiti Coast or the Hut! I used to be a nanny before my own Lo was born.
#34 of 51 Old 08-25-2008, 11:27 PM

Hi from Palmerstom North (we're Canadian, I'm at school here )

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#35 of 51 Old 08-29-2008, 01:39 AM

Hi, I'm Kelly. I am a SAHM of two quirky kids. I am originally from the west coast of Canada and now I live in Wellington. We love it here, it's perfect except for our moldy chilly house.
#36 of 51 Old 08-29-2008, 02:31 AM
Banned

Hi Kelly,

Nice to meet you. I'm in Wellington too! Yep, NZ houses... Gotta love this place!
#37 of 51 Old 09-02-2008, 03:53 AM

So cool to see some other "faux-Kiwi" Canadians on the board!

I'm also Canadian, from Alberta, but lived most recently on Vancouver Island.

Krista , glorious solo mum to Ethan (7), Silas (3), and Rory (4 months).
#38 of 51 Old 09-23-2008, 06:15 AM

I only discovered this magazine and then decided to google this site last Friday!!! A native Kiwi, I live in Wellington with my 2 wee boys (and 1 big boy ). There are so many Canadians here in Wellington I'm surprised that there are any of you left at home! I worked with 3 and there were 2 teachers at my son's creche. My job was to hide all mention of the Stanley Cup results from my boss until he had watched the downloaded games! lol
#39 of 51 Old 10-05-2008, 10:59 AM

Kia ora tatou!! I'm Bonnie from Wellington/Kapiti, Mum to Cosmo who is 2 and a half & Matariki who is 4 months. We live in Abu Dhabi & are not sure how long we'll be away but return to Raumati now & then. I'm not on here much but recently started getting the mag & love it.
#40 of 51 Old 10-29-2008, 06:16 AM

Hi there kiwis and faux-kiwi canadians!

we've arrived here in wellington, settled into a lovely house in strathmore park, and if only our other bed would arrive (we're renting furniture) we'd be :!!!! I'd love to meet up on a sunnyish day at a park or beach somewhere if anyone in wellington wants to... especially if we have another of those gorgeous sunny days!!

on a less exciting note, I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find (or borrow) a soft back carrier like a mei tai or a wrap or something similar. We have friends here whose little girl (2) is having 20-50 minor seizures a day, and they have to keep her from bashing into things when she falls over. I thought a nice soft back carrier would give her mom and dad a way to make dinner/go to the bathroom/attend to their 3 year old without worrying about her hurting herself. I'm willing to buy one for them if necessary (though I don't imagine it will come cheap, nothing here does!! ) but if anyone has one they could loan for a few weeks, that would be great too. if you know where I can find one, pm me!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#41 of 51 Old 10-30-2008, 05:13 PM

Hi Tiffani

Welcome to New Zealand. I'm glad we are finally having some good weather to show you how nice Wellington can be. There is an expression here " You can't beat Wellington on a good day!". We live in Strathmore Park too, up above Seatoun tunnel. I don't have a carrier to lend as ours is in full time use but you might be able to find one on trademe. Also the Nappy Network forum is a great place to connect with other kiwi moms. It is cloth diaper focussed but it the OT section we talk about everything. They might be able to suggest where you can rent/borrow a carrier.

http://thenappynetwork.org.nz/phpBB2/index.php

Cheers, Kelly
#42 of 51 Old 10-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Banned

Hi Tiffani!

Welcome to Wellington! I'd be keen to meet up sometime.

Don't know about carriers to borrow, Kiwis are generally very generous though, and easy to approach to ask for help as well.
#43 of 51 Old 10-30-2008, 07:24 PM

thanks AislynCarys and Luca'smum! we should meet up at seatoun beach/park one of these days when it's nice (like today! happy halloween!). So far I'm loving the neighborhood!

I also checked the kiwi section of the babywearer site, but not sure if there has been any response yet...

thanks again, and hope to meet you both soon!

#44 of 51 Old 11-03-2008, 12:32 AM

Hi, I'm in Canada now but as you may be able to tell from my username I'm from Southland, Invercargill actually. The best place I ever lived was Dunedin, as an undergrad. I miss NZ--I've been back four times in fourteen years, which isn't enough. It's hard to be so far away from my children's grandparents. And you know what's weird? Having a child with a completely different accent from your own. At least he doesn't call me Mommy!
#45 of 51 Old 11-04-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murihiku View Post
Hi, I'm in Canada now but as you may be able to tell from my username I'm from Southland, Invercargill actually. The best place I ever lived was Dunedin, as an undergrad. I miss NZ--I've been back four times in fourteen years, which isn't enough. It's hard to be so far away from my children's grandparents. And you know what's weird? Having a child with a completely different accent from your own. At least he doesn't call me Mommy!
It is SO hard to be so far from grandparents. That, for me, is the worst part about living here. And probably our only "negative" at the moment.

You say you've been in Canada for 14 years. When did your family finally come to terms with the fact that THAT is your home? My family (in Canada, while I'm here in NZ) don't seem to be able to grasp the fact that we are permanent residents here. We are not planning to move home in the foreseeable future. They assume dh is constantly on the lookout for jobs back home, and that this is temporary. We did live here temporarily 5 years ago, but it's different this time.

I know they just miss us, and they miss our kids. But, man, it's annoying!

And so far, our almost 6 year old still sound like us, but he's getting quite the extensive kiwi vocabulary.

#46 of 51 Old 11-04-2008, 03:45 PM

the grandparent thing IS hard -- no matter how much we might love it here, we know we can't stay more than 2 years, because of the grandparent thing. My family is in CAlifornia, and we've lived in VAncouver for the last 10 years, but we *were* always sort of wanting to move to california, so we kept everyone dangling all that time... then I think it occurred to my dad and stepmom that we might not be moving back anytime soon, and they started talking about retiring on Vancouver island to be near us. Well,then about a year later we pulled up stakes again, and now we're here! I do think after this stint in NZ we will move to california, at least for a few years. I'd like to be close to my family for a while.

when we were in canada, we could visit fairly regularly, and they could come see us, but all the way to NZ is a pretty big trip! Do your families come to visit you? I've been trying to think of how I can foster a relationship with the grandparents from so far away, but I don't know how to suggest things without seeming critical of what they're already doing... or not doing. There is a magazine put out by LLL called 'grand' that is for grandparents, I thought maybe I'd give a subscription to that, as I think it has articles about that kind of thing...

anyhoo, holy wind! they weren't kidding!

#47 of 51 Old 11-04-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
the grandparent thing IS hard -- no matter how much we might love it here, we know we can't stay more than 2 years, because of the grandparent thing. My family is in CAlifornia, and we've lived in VAncouver for the last 10 years, but we *were* always sort of wanting to move to california, so we kept everyone dangling all that time... then I think it occurred to my dad and stepmom that we might not be moving back anytime soon, and they started talking about retiring on Vancouver island to be near us. Well,then about a year later we pulled up stakes again, and now we're here! I do think after this stint in NZ we will move to california, at least for a few years. I'd like to be close to my family for a while.

when we were in canada, we could visit fairly regularly, and they could come see us, but all the way to NZ is a pretty big trip! Do your families come to visit you? I've been trying to think of how I can foster a relationship with the grandparents from so far away, but I don't know how to suggest things without seeming critical of what they're already doing... or not doing. There is a magazine put out by LLL called 'grand' that is for grandparents, I thought maybe I'd give a subscription to that, as I think it has articles about that kind of thing...

anyhoo, holy wind! they weren't kidding!
Sometimes it's easier being away from family, especially mine because they tend to have strong opinions about how I parent, and it's easier to parent from afar, without being criticized for everything.

But it makes me sad that my kids won't have that closeness with their grandparents. My older son will remember them, but my younger will never know a time that we lived close.

And I'm the same as you. I feel there is more they could be doing to foster their relationship (rather than just complaining that "the kids will never know us!!", as my mom likes to do). But they refuse to learn more about computers, and they don't send stuff, generally. They stick to phone calls, which, in my opinion, doesn't do much to foster the relationship. And if I were to suggest things, they'd be immediately defensive and think I was being critical. :

No one seems very eager to make the trip to come see us, either. My parents came the first time we lived here, and I think it's going to take a lot for them to come again. My husband's parents just always have some reason or other that they can't leave home.

Whatever. It's their loss. I learned long ago that it's more important that we make our life really good (dh, me, our boys) rather than worry about everything our families do or want us to do.

#48 of 51 Old 11-04-2008, 05:14 PM

I'm also glad that I had a bit of distance in order to find my own parenting legs, so to speak. now that my kids are getting older, though, and my parents are dealing with their own aging parents (making travel difficult for my mom, as she is needed to help with my grandpa) I'm more able to just accept that it will be up to me to help foster their relationship with my kids, because they just don't really know how to do it.

I totally agree that you have to live the best life for the family you're creating -- that comes first. At the same time, I feel like my parents generation is a little bit crippled when it comes to attachment, and I've come to accept that and want to offer help instead of being hurt by it. I really have to fight the feeling that my mom just doesn't really care, because when she cries every time we leave, I can see that she cares, and it breaks my heart that she isn't more able to cultivate attachment -- given her history I'm surprised she does as well as she does, but ultimately I just feel sorry for her, ya know?

and hey, while I have all you kiwis here...
we're going to be camping all over the south island over the christmas holiday, and I'm wondering if we need to try to reserve campsites with the DOC or if those are all first come, first serve -- is there usually enough space, or will we end up sleeping in our car? we'll have tents and a cooking stove and everything, but I don't want to be scrambling for a place to put the tent every time we move... also, we're hoping to head all the way down to the southern tip (down the east side, up the west side) -- is there anything that we should make sure to hit or skip? favorite spots anyone?

#49 of 51 Old 11-04-2008, 08:43 PM

I so know what you mean about my parents' generation and attachment. I guess I still am not in a "good" place with it. I understand it, but it still hurts me. I guess I have more of my own healing/processing to do.

I would book campsites ahead of time, especially because you're going during holiday season (both Christmas and school). Top 10 campgrounds are our favourite.

A must see is Milford Sound. It's pricey, but take a cruise through it. It's phenomenal.

#50 of 51 Old 11-05-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaH View Post

You say you've been in Canada for 14 years. When did your family finally come to terms with the fact that THAT is your home?

Probably when I married a Canadian! That was eight years ago. I don't feel as guilty about it as I might because my own parents emigrated from Britian to NZ when I was five, so I'm just following their example! But there is a price to pay being so far away . . .
#51 of 51 Old 11-05-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
when we were in canada, we could visit fairly regularly, and they could come see us, but all the way to NZ is a pretty big trip! Do your families come to visit you?
For the wedding and for the birth of my second child. They also paid for us to fly over there with the first when he was 13 months. So that was generous and nice!

I recommend staying in the Catlins on the south east coast. It's cheap, pretty much deserted (at least the last time I was there, ten years ago) and so very, very beautiful. Enjoy your camping holiday!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page