Plumber in Tokoroa - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2008, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, New Zealand moms!

My sister moved to New Zealand in 2002 and married her DH, who is a Kiwi. They're both ill (tonsilitis they think), and my sister is pregnant and going through some prenatal depression, which she has had with all of her pregnancies, and are having a lot of trouble keeping up with the housework, particularly the dishes.

I guess dishwashers aren't common there, but she found one on Trademe for $2, and their house is already plumbed for it.

She can't get the hose to screw onto the spout. She even bought another hose, but still it wouldn't screw down.

She has tried to call plumbers to come out and has been met with "fix it yourself" and some suggestions, but she's hopeless and her DH is as well. Add this to her depression and pregnancy and she's pretty much lost the plot.

Their DDs are currently staying with DH's family due to the state of the house, and they're not going to be able to come back until the two of them catch up with things. This dishwasher is a big part of that, but she can't seem to get anyone to come up and fix it.

So... ... ... do any of you moms know a plumber in or near Tokoroa who might be able to help, particularly if they would be able to come over and have a look. Or maybe even what an American woman can say to a plumber to make them come help her???

Her FIL has suggested that it might be an adapter between a metric dishwasher and an English pump, but she doesn't have a clue about any of this, nor does DH. She also knows that the guy who painted the house before they moved in was rather incompetent. He has painted this "tap" as well as painting over the phone jacks and power sockets, breaking more than one of these. She thinks maybe this has affected the tap.

Ok wow, I've written you a novel here. Um.... she knows that poor people in NZ typically don't have dishwashers. She knows she's being wasteful. But she's in a horrible situation and wants her DD's to be able to come home soon and just can't get through the dishes without some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008, 10:35 PM

As Tokoroa is quite small there's probably only a couple of plumbers and town and they're probably really busy. Not really sure I don't live there, but have paid a flying visit occasionally. Maybe she should try something like "Hire-a-hubby", "Mr Green" or "Grey Skills". My mother-in-law swears by them.
I think maybe that it's a sign of your sister's depression that she's worried about what people will think about her having a dishwasher, because on the whole most kiwis are quite laid back about that sort of thing. Hope she finds some help soon.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm going to be visiting soon, not just to deal with the dishwasher, but to help her sort out a few more things in her life, and I don't care if people think I'm a dumb American. I am a dumb American. Would these services be listed in a local phone book or are they nation wide, or what?
Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Banned

Don't worry, Kiwis are are not particularly judgmental (I'm not a Kiwi so I often worry tho!). And you would find numbers in the phone book for the area - or check the yellow pages online!
Old 10-12-2008, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

I think the plumber was too busy but from the sound of it, the tap for the dishwasher is ruined. I've told her to call him again before I get there. I'm not sure she will, though.

User Tag List